Uncle Tony SPEAKS on cam and lifter failure in 5.7 hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
And not to mention the fact that since so many people don’t keep their vehicles longer than five years old, manufacturers really ain’t looking at long-term effects from using a not-so-great oil filter or not-so-great engine oil that I do believe is yes, a rather thin oil for a V-8 engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. It really comes down to this: speculation vs fact. What do we speculate is true, and what do we observe is true.

I couldn't care less about the speculation to be honest; but if you quiet your engine by changing the oil/filter, that is a fact that should weigh more in your deliberations than what we think Ram is doing and why they chose one oil vs another or if they are aiming for 5 years of life vs 15 or whether there is some cam/oiling flaw.

Fact is fact, and quieter is a GOOD THING, and nobody has shown any evidence to claim that Redline is a bad oil (blackstone analysis comes back and shows less wear than before). At that point, what is your problem? Why go off about zulus and pookies? I'm really confused by that response.

2019_RPX_LTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
Did anyone else noticed the comment made about using Shaeffer oil?

"We have eliminated our problems with these engines by switching to Schaeffer Oil. 5W20 for the 5.7 and 0W40 for the 6.4. It is night and day. Noticeable as soon as you fire the engine up. I think another problem with the 6.4 is many people out there are running Mobil 1 0W40. This is usually a European spec, not a Chrysler spec. Chrysler spec allows ZDDP (zinc). Schaeffer has Zinc and Micron Moly to control the wear and it is Chrysler approved. It’s also several dollars a quart cheaper than the factory Penzoil made from natural gas."

Thoughts? (~$10/qt)

https://www.schaefferoil.com/9004-full-synthetic.html

https://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/254-9004-td.pdf

Also, Shaeffer has a Moly treatment as well (~$10/pt):

https://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/37-132-td.pdf

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's kind of odd..... the average age of vehicles is over 11 years.... so I must disagree with this statement.

Man, I know of a few and have known quite a few people in the past who buy a new car every three to five years. Just because the average age of vehicles on the road is around eleven years don’t mean **** and it certainly doesn’t deviate from my point. “Average” doesn’t really count here because of too many specialty vehicles included in that average. Grandpa’s old Cadillac that your Dad refuses to get rid of doesn’t count. That maxed out Challenger of any age that you only drive out of the garage on weekends when it’s sunny, doesn’t count either but unfortunately, there’s no split database on daily drivers that don’t get bought and driven like the specialty cars but they sure are counted together probably.

Lastly, how long a person keeps a new car and how long a car is being driven before it’s junked, is two different things.

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I just talked to a GMC mechanic and he told me the GM 5.3 is known for lifter/cam failure. He has a Tahoe in shop he is working on now. I guess it is not just FCA that is having lifter issues. My guess is cheap Chinese made Lifters.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just talked to a GMC mechanic and he told me the GM 5.3 is known for lifter/cam failure. He has a Tahoe in shop he is working on now. I guess it is not just FCA that is having lifter issues. My guess is cheap Chinese made Lifters.

I'm dealing with lifter failure on a 1999 Tahoe 5.7L "Vortec" engine. I was chatting with one of my GM Engineer cronies the other day about it... and he said what your GMC mechanic did!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Maybe it is. Could be just a combination of that and not using good oil and filter. I’m pretty much to the conclusion that the guys over in the synthetic oil thread know what they’re talking about when they say that 5w30’is a much better oil weight choice for these engines. I could, but I’m not because since I’m under warranty for as long as I own my truck, I don’t want to go through the hassle and jump through all the hoops to “say I’ve been using” the 20w when I’ve been using 30 so 20w’s what I use. But, I’m gonna use the best 20w I know to use that has a good additive package in it that’ll get changed more often just so that hopefully my chances of becoming a statistic is as low as possible.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I can't go back and put this on first page so most likely only a few will see it, but this shop has been building engines I believe since the 60's, I know his partner said 70's.

So whatever is causing the metal wear, it most surely is NOT the quality of the metal. This guy believes it is low additive oil which I have been saying for a decade here. Now, this is more proof of this with his testing the quality of a worn cam and lifters.

Wanna protect your cam, get a high performance oil such as redline 5w30 that has the additives this professional engineer has spelled out. Just another example explaining why this formula is killing ticks, he doesn't mention it by name, but mentions the high additive oil formulations.

KmyVgOd.jpg
imCVwVj.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Read the above post, the lifters and cam is top shelf.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The average age of a vehicle on the road doesn't mean people are keeping them longer - it means some people are keeping them on the road longer - often times it is the used car market. So quite a few people buy new every few years and then others buy those used cars and drive them for a while (or forever) and then trade in for another used and someone buys the old vehicle to use.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think part of the issue is the light closed valve spring pressure - all of the manufacturers have dropped the closed valve spring pressure in a quest for more mpg.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The average age of a vehicle on the road doesn't mean people are keeping them longer - it means some people are keeping them on the road longer - often times it is the used car market. So quite a few people buy new every few years and then others buy those used cars and drive them for a while (or forever) and then trade in for another used and someone buys the old vehicle to use.

Exactly. Too many people just don’t stop and think that just because they see a decade-old vehicle, that it doesn’t always mean that it’s automatically a one-owner vehicle that the person bought brand new and is driving it until the wheels fall off. Not saying some people don’t but with the cost of vehicles going up and up and newer and newer technology being used, you’ll probably start seeing a lot more older vehicles on the road.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am one of the ones that buy and drive for ideally 15+ years.
The Ram might be my last vehicle since it has the lifetime Maxcare on it :)

Same here. I bought my baby brand new with lifetime warranty so whenever she gets up there in age and miles, there’s no secrets or wonders about how the schmo before me treated it, if they just let the dealer or jiffy lube throw whatever in there, whatever crap filter was cheapest and if they ran it 10,000 miles before they changed it because I know how it’s been treated.

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you actually watch the video??? It doesn't matter what oil your using when it cant and wont make it to the lifter bores and the cam only receives a small amount at mid to high rpm.

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk

MudSkipper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's long one.. yikes...

Now Uncle Tony says "dyno's dont work"? His idiot idea of flipping pistons got shot down so he is mad at the "engine master" guys.

I hear people running around "quoting" UT "oh UT said the Hemi is flawed".. The guy updated a long explanation..

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you actually watch the video??? It doesn't matter what oil your using when it cant and wont make it to the lifter bores and the cam only receives a small amount at mid to high rpm.

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk

You’re still getting an advantage of full synthetic, top quality additive package oil, better filtration from a better filter and changing the oil sooner.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Here's long one.. yikes...

Now Uncle Tony says "dyno's dont work"? His idiot idea of flipping pistons got shot down so he is mad at the "engine master" guys.

I hear people running around "quoting" UT "oh UT said the Hemi is flawed".. The guy updated a long explanation..

This guy needs to work on his presentation. I do like the gist of what he is saying but man does he ever ramble, it's going to detract from his message.

D Reed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had a sales rep from Jasper here. He said they have 50 of the 5.7 out for trial with a big fleet co. Jasper has installed squirters to the oil feed that will lube the rollers on the lifters. They think it's going to work