unconfuse me on max tongue weight and towing weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stapler101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
2018 2500, auto, 4x4, short bed, diesel, 4,10 gear
a white sticker on door says GAWR front 6000, GAWR rear 6500, GVWR 10000
I am looking at 5th wheel campers and I don't want to over load the truck to a point of unsafe or risk tearing stuff up.

Blue2500CC

Reaction score
Ram Year
‘18
Engine
What does the yellow payload sticker state for your trucks payload?

That amount should not be exceeded by the total weight of: all occupants, any cargo, any additional accessories added after the truck left the factory, the 5r hitch, and the 5r’s loaded pin weight.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I am looking at 5th wheel campers and I don't want to over load the truck to a point of unsafe or risk tearing stuff up.

Are you sure you have 4.10 gearing? that usually comes on 3500 DRW trucks and the rear GAWR would be in 8K lbs range.
For the main part of your question, take your truck to a CAT scale and get the actual weight of your truck. You'll get a print out of the front and rear axle weights, subtract that from your GAWR(s).
With a fiver there is no tongue weight involved, that is only for bumper tow TTs. A fiver pin weight is "payload" as it is just forward of the rear axle.
Keep in mind that that 2500 trucks GVWR are artificially limited to 10K lbs due to weight class specifications.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Go to the Mopar owners site and enter your Vin. Your max towing weight is outed and you can also print your window sticker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are two different numbers that you need to look at. First is the payload of the tow vehicle, on newer vehicle there is a sticker in the door jamb that states the payload for this specific vehicle. They basically weigh it empty, add standardized driver and fuel weights and subtract that number from the 10k GVWR. The additional passengers, cargo and the pin weight of the 5th wheel should not exceed that number.
The other number is the combined weight rating for the truck and the trailer together (GCWR). The max tow ratings you can find from various sources assume the truck is pretty much empty except for driver and fuel so for real life applications that's a bit of a fantasy number. If you have 700 lbs of passengers and/or cargo in the truck the trailer should be 700 lbs less than max.
The limits are how much pin weight the truck can take when loaded for travel, and the combined weight of loaded truck and trailer.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Are you sure you have 4.10 gearing? that usually comes on 3500 DRW trucks and the rear GAWR would be in 8K lbs range.
For the main part of your question, take your truck to a CAT scale and get the actual weight of your truck. You'll get a print out of the front and rear axle weights, subtract that from your GAWR(s).
With a fiver there is no tongue weight involved, that is only for bumper tow TTs. A fiver pin weight is "payload" as it is just forward of the rear axle.
Keep in mind that that 2500 trucks GVWR are artificially limited to 10K lbs due to weight class specifications.

Lots of 6.4s running around with 4.10s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue2500CC

Reaction score
Ram Year
‘18
Engine
First is the payload of the tow vehicle, on newer vehicle there is a sticker in the door jamb that states the payload for this specific vehicle. They basically weigh it empty, add standardized driver and fuel weights and subtract that number from the 10k GVWR.

Csuder99,

Are you sure the weight of the standardized driver is actually already accounted for in the yellow payload sticker?

I ask because everything I have read, including our trucks owners manuals state the driver is part of the allowable load weight a truck can carry.

I know the manual for our HD specifically states to look at the yellow payload sticker, and subtract the weight of the driver and any additional occupants in the vehicle.

Granted, the standardized weight is only 150lbs for an occupant. So it’s bit a huge difference.

Just trying to clarify. I know for a while I wasn’t sure if a full tank of fuel was already accounted for in the yellow payload sticker...

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Csuder99,

Are you sure the weight of the standardized driver is actually already accounted for in the yellow payload sticker?

No I'm not, this is an ongoing mess where some manufacturers include the driver and others not. Weights range from 150-175 lbs as well.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Man, there REALLY needs to be a thread started and stickied on why the “payload” number means absolutely nothing as far as driving laws in the US go, ESPECIALLY once a trailer is hooked up to the truck. @Stapler101 - Just stay under your front GAWR, your rear GAWR, and your trailer’s GAWR and you’ll perfectly fine, safe, and legal. Your rear axle is rated for 10k+, but the suspension and tires are a limiting factor. If you’re going over your rear axle weight rating, but under the tire rating, get some bags. Stay under the max tow weight, as that’s a limitation of the trans, trans cooling, engine cooling, and gear ratio combined. By the way, if your truck is stock with no gear change made that you know of, you have 3:42 gears.

Blue2500CC

Reaction score
Ram Year
‘18
Engine
No I'm not, this is an ongoing mess where some manufacturers include the driver and others not. Weights range from 150-175 lbs as well.

Gotcha.

The only reason I mentioned 150lbs is that is the standard weight that is used when setting the tow ratings per the newer sae standard.

As I mentioned in my HD owners manual, it states to subtract the total weight of the driver and any occupants from the stated payload on the yellow sticker in the door jamb. Plus the way the yellow payload sticker is worded (All occupants and cargo...) leads me to believe that the driver is not accounted for in that stated payload weight. But I could be completely off, who knows.

It’s definitely a good conversation topic!!!