Under Hood Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was out tinkering with the wife's 2020 Laramie this afternoon and when I opened the hood, I realized there was no light under the hood like my 2017. you can see by the pic that there might be a hole for one near the edge and latch, but nothing else.

Any ideas?? Anyone else have a 2020 with no light?

20210303_160929 hood.jpg

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My 2020 Laramie doesn't have a light either. It surprised me too. That's not a spot for a light. Looks like you're actually missing something. Here's a couple pics of what's in that hole on my truck...

Underhood 1.jpg
Here's a closeup...

Underhood 2.jpg

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Honestly I'm not sure what it's for, or what it does. Maybe someone else knows. All I know is your wife's truck is missing it, whether because it fell out or it was purposely not installed. And the underside of my hood is dirty :gr_grin:

OP
OP
VA-RAM

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weeellll......
could be your truck has something stuck in it that happens to fit and doesn't belong there and serves no purpose!!!!
:boxing::33::cheers:

Southern Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess we’re going to have to start carrying flashlights.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
The sad thing is Ram missed a golden opportunity to embed small LED lights in the shape of their logo into the hood insulation. This could have served as an under hood light and another “Easter egg”. Then again, a simple ten LED light strip embedded into the insulation with a switch triggered by opening the hood would have been just as effective for less than $40.

Patriot_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a plastic button that depresses the "hood open" sensor when you close your hood.

OP
OP
VA-RAM

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That can't be right.....

When I open the hood on my wide's 20 Laramie, the "hood open" indicator illuminates in the dash. Plus there doesn't seem to be any switch or anything in that hole in the hood...

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Weeellll......
could be your truck has something stuck in it that happens to fit and doesn't belong there and serves no purpose!!!!
:boxing::33::cheers:

That can't be right.....

When I open the hood on my wide's 20 Laramie, the "hood open" indicator illuminates in the dash. Plus there doesn't seem to be any switch or anything in that hole in the hood...
Patriot_66 is right, but I'm not sure what the switch is for since yours doesn't have this but does have the hood open indicator. You can clearly see the button on the hood lines up with the switch in the core support below it. Does yours have the switch on the core support?

Hood plastic thingy 1.jpg Hood plastic thingy 2.jpg

OP
OP
VA-RAM

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not that I know of....but now you got me really curious. if the switch isn't there, then how does the indicator light up?

Ok...gonna do a little sleuthing this afternoon when she gets home. This should be eye-opening!!

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No light in my ‘20 1500 CrewCab Bighorn Level 2. Yes, my ‘17 Bighorn DID have an under hood light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 12 didn't have one. I am honestly thinking about adding one. Maybe a bright LED one. It would make it handy at night.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's probably built into the latch like the doors are. Remember when doors had a physical button in the jamb somewhere?

OP
OP
VA-RAM

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's probably built into the latch like the doors are. Remember when doors had a physical button in the jamb somewhere?

Well, there is no "plug" in the hole on the hood, and there is no switch in the front end where the other pics show one...just a hole there too.

I can only image that there is a switch incorporated in to the hinge, as I have verified that the hood open indicator (the red icon) does indeed illuminate in the dash as soon as the hood latch is pulled under the dash.

Really strange....

Next purchase - a set of led lights and wire them with either a manual switch or a basic mercury switch on the the hood.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Patriot_66 is right, but I'm not sure what the switch is for since yours doesn't have this but does have the hood open indicator. You can clearly see the button on the hood lines up with the switch in the core support below it. Does yours have the switch on the core support?

View attachment 240631 View attachment 240632
The switch will not permit the remote start to start the engine if the hood is open.

OP
OP
VA-RAM

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The switch will not permit the remote start to start the engine if the hood is open.

My 20 Laramie doesn't have the separate switch...so the sensor for remote start cut out has to be in the hood latch itself, which makes more sense to me...but no light??? C'mon, Ram!!!

Ibsledge

Military
Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
May be safety switch for auto start to not run if hood is open.

OP
OP
VA-RAM

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
May be safety switch for auto start to not run if hood is open.

That is exactly why the remote start doesnt work when the hood is unlachted...the issue is my 2020 doesnt have an under hood light, AND it doesnt have the separate plunger switch to disarm the remote start when thehood is unlatched...that function has to be incorporated into the latch itself...that in itself is n big thang...

But no under hood light??? why skimp on that item? Makes no sense..

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
With just 50 miles on my new truck I found there was no under hood light and no ambient lights in the door panels. My old laramie had both. These are things you dont think of when ordering/buying but i dont think they even offer them now. Next thing that will happen is the hoods will be sealed so the dealer will be the only ones that can open them.