Under Hood Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Htsderek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
My 2018 has a switch in the hood latch to disable remote start when the hood is open, I don't think I have an indicator on the dash for the hood being open. My '18 is a tradesman and I installed the hood latch with switch when I added remote start.

The OEM underhood light I added uses a tilt switch in the lamp housing to turn it off and on.

OP
OP
VA-RAM

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With just 50 miles on my new truck I found there was no under hood light and no ambient lights in the door panels. My old laramie had both. These are things you dont think of when ordering/buying but i dont think they even offer them now. Next thing that will happen is the hoods will be sealed so the dealer will be the only ones that can open them.

:boxed::banghead:

Ibsledge

Military
Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I will do is order OEM underhood light with the tilt switch and install. I was really surprised they don’t offer anymore.
Imagine that

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That is exactly why the remote start doesnt work when the hood is unlachted...the issue is my 2020 doesnt have an under hood light, AND it doesnt have the separate plunger switch to disarm the remote start when thehood is unlatched...that function has to be incorporated into the latch itself...that in itself is n big thang...

But no under hood light??? why skimp on that item? Makes no sense..
I agree. No idea why they stopped including them. Even the wife's Limited doesn't have one. Really lame.

OP
OP
VA-RAM

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree. No idea why they stopped including them. Even the wife's Limited doesn't have one. Really lame.

I could...MAYBE... see if the lower option models/work trucks didn't have them. But the Laramie and Limited are the "premier" option groups, so why delete that item? Just makes it that much harder to understand some of the things that the designers and engineers do that seem at odds with what the brand is trying to do or convey..one hand not knowing what the other is doing? no clue, but it is very frustrating....

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I could...MAYBE... see if the lower option models/work trucks didn't have them. But the Laramie and Limited are the "premier" option groups, so why delete that item? Just makes it that much harder to understand some of the things that the designers and engineers do that seem at odds with what the brand is trying to do or convey..one hand not knowing what the other is doing? no clue, but it is very frustrating....

Deleting the under hood light probably saved ram $3.00 per unit. Cheap ********.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The 2015 Tradesman I used to own didn't have the light. But it did have provisions for adding one. There was even wiring and a connector for it. I added it after finding that, and the light kit was less than $15. I don't even see where a light could be added (without modification) on either of my 5th gens. Frustrating for sure.

OP
OP
VA-RAM

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 has a switch in the hood latch to disable remote start when the hood is open, I don't think I have an indicator on the dash for the hood being open. My '18 is a tradesman and I installed the hood latch with switch when I added remote start.

The OEM underhood light I added uses a tilt switch in the lamp housing to turn it off and on.

Do you have the part number for that switch/light?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Htsderek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I bought mine off ebay, looks like the part number is 68395126AA. Here's a link to the original add, it looks like the seller still has some up for sale.

My 2018 had wiring up to a plug by the left hinge and a cutout in the hood liner to fit the light into, install was plug and play.

I've though about adding some wires after the switch in the lamp and adding a strip of LEDs for more light output but haven't got to it yet.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My 2018 had wiring up to a plug by the left hinge and a cutout in the hood liner to fit the light into, install was plug and play.
That's standard for 4th gens. Even the 2015 Tradesman I owned had the same cutout and wiring. All I had to do was plug in the harness and screw the light into the cutout if I remember correctly. 5th gens don't have any of that unfortunately.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Mike, I have a 5th gen Laramie and that area under the hood is sealed up tight you would have to cut into the liner in a hope of mounting it but it would look like **** and there is no harness anywhere to plug into, there has to be a self contained unit that has a mercury switch, problem is that the hood is aluminum so nothing magnetic!!!

GiJoeFontaine

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
older thread but so happy for this idea! I bought some Under cabinet led strips in 12v. i plan to tap into the hood swtich for on/off, if it doesnt work a toggle will suffice. Capture.PNG

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
done a under hood light upgrade to my 05 when I had it two 10mm led strips now boy you could see under hood with them loved them not done it to my 2014 just yet. I was quit a surprise when you had someone else open hood at night and them big strips lit up

9.jpg8.jpg