Under-hood lighting installed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I’m still confused but if y’all are talking about what’s in there, it’s like a little round marble looking thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WELL FWIW, I went outside yesterday with a flashlight, and did a deep dive under the hood of MY 19 Bighorn. No plug present for under the hood light, just saying. Nothing by firewall, hinges, or anywhere else.....Remember, this is on a MY 19 Bighorn 5th Gen

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Well, the newer trucks not having the under hood light wiring got me curious how mine is wired.
Fuse 60 in the PDC is labeled Undrhd/TCM.
The 20 Awg (.5mm^2) wire from the connector runs in a plastic wire duct along top edge toward PDC.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 153964
On my 2015 SLT those wire are for lighting. I added 2 LEDs and plugs works great and is wired to doors already so they come on when you open doors ! I have cheap LED'S now but k=now I know it all works fine I will upgrade them when our Temps get above 40*f :O

View attachment 153965

Where exactly are those in the rear of CC or QC?

Is there a wiring harness or specific bulbs you used to light up the rear of the cab?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
From my Build Thread
https://www.ramforum.com/posts/1260219/

THIS IS 4TH GEn Rams Only. I cannot say if 5th Gen Rams have the same plug on top of the firewall.

MOPAR OEM Part # CEC1MO71AA Under Hood Light Kit

Like so many other Mods, I never knew what I was missing, nor how much I needed it, until I stumbled across the information, reading this forum.

What is this? My Ram 1500 Express did not come with an under hood light?
Run outside, as fast as my feet will carry me. Pop that hood, hook up, in sheer Terror. There was no light!!

Now, to buy the parts, individually, you will need to sell a child or mortgage the house.
Not really but it is like a $100 or so.

OR, you can find MOPAR Part # CEC1MO71AA - about $20.

Seems this was a recall parts 'kit" , not a for retail sale kit, Chrysler whipped up for 2011-2013 Sport trucks that did NOT come with the under hood & glove box lights, but should have.

Called a local dealer, Dewey Dodge - Ankeny, Iowa. They had the kit.

tp%3A%2F%2Fwww.midwestshutterbug.com%2FZ%2Fimg_222.png

The kit includes the under hood light assembly, with bulb. One push pin, to mount the light to the hood itself, 2 replacement retaining clips, for the under hood mat, the wiring harness AND one glove box light assembly.

Just pop off the two clover leaf looking clips holding the under hood mat to the bottom of the hood. ( I got by with just popping of the one but the kit comes with two new clips).

Slide the mat from underneath the retaining thingy.

p%3A%2F%2Fwww.midwestshutterbug.com%2FZ%2FDSCN0208.png

Remove the bulb from the light assembly.

Mount the light assembly, with the included push pin.
When mounting the light, have the "plug in" End of the light assembly pointing up.

You can't mess it up, there is a hole and a slot, on the hood, that matches up with the back of the light itself.

Plug in the wire harness. It has two ends but only one end of it will fit the light assembly itself. It's Gofishn Proof.

Wrap from top, down the side of the mounted light assembly.

You will notice clips, on the wiring harness.

Those clips match up perfectly with holes in the hood.
Just follow them along to the hood support.

Took me about 5 minutes to do it.
Getting the bulb out of the light, so I could mount the assembly to the hood,
took me longer than anything. Was worried I would break it.

Remove the Blank Filler plug, from the electrical connector you will need.
Plug in your new light.

p%3A%2F%2Fwww.midwestshutterbug.com%2FZ%2FDSCN0204.png

I was not really that impressed with the amount of light the OEM bulb gave me.
Even at night, it was Weak, Whimpy, Whambly, Whombly. So I replaced it with this one.

oads%2F578-led-can-bus-bulb-1-smd-led-festoon-44mm.png

Got it here.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...us-bulb-1-smd-led-festoon-44mm-car/1264/2937/

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Where exactly are those in the rear of CC or QC?

Is there a wiring harness or specific bulbs you used to light up the rear of the cab?
I just purchased a cheap set of LED'S Lights off E Bay about 7$ .and a socket plus wire pins!
I have a Quad Cab but on the legs of the seat you will see 2 holes from factory !
If you use those use the bottom hole as the higher one get covered by the seat !
The wiring harness in mine is attached to the seat legs near the floor plugged into a adapter !

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just purchased a cheap set of LED'S Lights off E Bay about 7$ .and a socket plus wire pins!
I have a Quad Cab but on the legs of the seat you will see 2 holes from factory !
If you use those use the bottom hole as the higher one get covered by the seat !
The wiring harness in mine is attached to the seat legs near the floor plugged into a adapter !

Got a link for that???

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Joe I believe these are the lights I used, There is a stud on the back so mounting was easy !
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-3-5-Whit...-Sealed-12V-/254121607844?hash=item3b2ad402a4

The connector plug .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-connec...h=item36468c11bf:g:sqQAAOSw03lY55a~:rk:1:pf:0

You may have the plug attached to the legs already ! It is stuck on with a pin. Not sure if it can be used but does look like it can, I just couldn't remove it and did not want to break it, so I got the new plugs and pins

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The MY 19's, well at least MY 19 Bighorn, does not have the pin for the underhood lighting, grrrrr, <LOL

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Joe I believe these are the lights I used, There is a stud on the back so mounting was easy !
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-3-5-Whit...-Sealed-12V-/254121607844?hash=item3b2ad402a4

The connector plug .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-connec...h=item36468c11bf:g:sqQAAOSw03lY55a~:rk:1:pf:0

You may have the plug attached to the legs already ! It is stuck on with a pin. Not sure if it can be used but does look like it can, I just couldn't remove it and did not want to break it, so I got the new plugs and pins

Thanks I’ll check it out tomorrow

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thanks I’ll check it out tomorrow
Feel free to as me any question , but it is fairly cut and dry if the harness is there under your seat ! FYI when the weather gets warmer I am thinking of changing or adding to the light for better lighting.

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just found the plug, but there’s no wiring going to it. It’s just attached to the seat frame on both sides. Looks like a may have to take apart the seats and check under the carpet to see if there’s wiring anywhere down there.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Just found the plug, but there’s no wiring going to it. It’s just attached to the seat frame on both sides. Looks like a may have to take apart the seats and check under the carpet to see if there’s wiring anywhere down there.
That is a bummer ! guess I was lucky that the wires were plugged into that socket . and I just made the connections and plugged in, My RAM is a 2015 SLT do not know if that makes a difference !

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I picked up a kit from Amazon, but it has light and wiring only. No push pin for the light itself, and no replacement hood liner pins. Oh and no glove box light. Guess only the "fix it" kits got the extra parts.

EDIT - Got it installed, super easy as all have said. The Hood liner pins popped out very easy, I could have reused them but I had already bought new ones so I went ahead and replaced them. With the LED bulb upgrade it is super bright!

Kinda bummed I didn't get the upper globe box light, I may order it as well since I already have LED bulb for it.

Last edited:

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I went ahead and bought the under hood light kit for my 2019 1500 Classic. Went to install it the other morning, popped the hood, only to not find the plug near the hood hinge ?!?! I hadn't ever come across any other members w/ 4th gens stating that the plug wasn't installed on theirs, so I didn't think to check ahead of time on mine. The hood insulation also does not have a cutout for the light. Booooo!

I didn't dig around very much as I had to get on the road, but perhaps it's similar to the upper glove box light or footwell light wiring where it may be tucked away? I'll have to poke around a bit more later today, but being that mine is a 19 Classic, perhaps some features had been phased out.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I went ahead and bought the under hood light kit for my 2019 1500 Classic. Went to install it the other morning, popped the hood, only to not find the plug near the hood hinge ?!?! I hadn't ever come across any other members w/ 4th gens stating that the plug wasn't installed on theirs, so I didn't think to check ahead of time on mine. The hood insulation also does not have a cutout for the light. Booooo!

I didn't dig around very much as I had to get on the road, but perhaps it's similar to the upper glove box light or footwell light wiring where it may be tucked away? I'll have to poke around a bit more later today, but being that mine is a 19 Classic, perhaps some features had been phased out.

SAME thing on MY 19 DT 5th Gen. No cutout, and there is no plug. I am Kinda surprised under accessories in the vehicle manual it does not read:

For Under Hood Lighting, utilize flashlight (not included) (sic)

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is still the DS model, and after some more digging it appears some other 2018 models also came w/o.

I guess I could make the cutout myself and utilize the light with my own wiring. Something to think about...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
This is a Chebby, but you can do the same thing on a RAM, just make the wires long enough to run along the firewall to reach the battery.

Of course, there are no rules that say that it has to be mounted on the Passenger side of the hood, if it was mounted on the drivers side, you could see your battery & fuse box better

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
A better way is to buy a LED light strip several feet long, run it anywhere you want to under the hood, like H, W, U, Square or straight line pattern.
Then using a Mercury switch or the Ball type switch to connect to the light strip & run wires over to a point where you find a always Hot connection.
That is the way that Show Trucks are set up.

Oracle make a underhood lighting kit
1 option has color shifting LEDs

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963