Undercarriage Care/Frame Rust Touchup. What color paint and process?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2018 Power Wagon and although the undercarriage is still pretty nice, I do see some spots of surface rust. I live in northern MN. It's inevitable. What are people doing to take care of these little spots. I guess if I was going to do it, I'd take a small wire brush and knock off any loose stuff, then rust inhibitor, then paint. Has anyone found a great match to the factory frame paint color?

Thanks everyone.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Check out POR15.

Krown is another good one.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Por15 still has to be top coated. It basically is a rust inhibiting sealer that has to be painted. This is what I remember from reading the side of a can.

I have a couple little spots on welds where the paint popped off. I'll probably touch them up with chassis black or a matte black paint.
For protection I've been using Adam's Undercarriage Spray. I got a gallon on sale that came with a spray bottle full for free. My chassis looks factory new. No rust anywhere, even the spots the paint came off. Also, I'm in NJ so we see an abundance of salt & brine. Any salt just rinses right off the treated areas.
https://adamspolishes.com/products/adam-s-invisible-undercarriage-spray

Last edited:
OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That Adams stuff says it's just for plastic. You toss that stuff everywhere? If so, awesome.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I suggest that you do NOT use any under coating, it does not stick to the under body as advertised, water, salt & other grime works its way between the uncoating & metal, so all your doing by using it is to make the vehicle heavier.

The metal has to be clean, then primered & painted to do it right
Por 15 is a great product

I noticed that on all the Rams sitting on the dealerships lot, are like mine, you can see bare metal on the rear axle housing where the assembly line cradle was positioned during vehicle assembly

You can see the cradle that holds the rear axle close to the end of this video

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
That Adams stuff says it's just for plastic. You toss that stuff everywhere? If so, awesome.

Yes. It's a high silicone base and keeps everything like new. I'll try to snap a pic of the underside when this rain stops. Might not be until Monday.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m ****. Stupid salt. I wanna keep this truck for a while.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I used the following - good or bad - to coat my rear axle to stop the oxidization:

Step #1: Auto Paint Chemicals Rust Reformer Spray Product Page (rustoleum.com)
Step #2: Auto Specialty Paints High Heat Product Page (rustoleum.com)
Step #3: FLUID FILM | Powerful Corrosion Protection & Lubrication (fluid-film.com)

Some may say it won't help or is overkill but this process was recommended by one of our corrosion engineers at the office. So far so good...

While I was under there, I had three extra aerosol cans of the Fluid Film and decided to hit the rest of the frame and underside of the truck.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Long time trick i use is a spray bottle of Ospho, a phosphoric acid. Spray it on, wipe off white powder which may form, then paint selected color.