Uneven Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danweis1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hello. I am about to install LED bulbs in my 2016 Ram 1500 Bighorn. In preparation to do so, I checked my light pattern on a wall, which I had never done before. I immediately noticed the light centers were off, vertically. Sitting about 10 feet from the wall, the driver side lights were about 6-8 inches lower than the passenger side, both high and low beam. I know the lows can be adjusted, but I can’t see a way to adjust the entire light, which it appears needs to be done. No accidents to alter the aiming. I pulled the drivers side light assembly and I can see no way to adjust the entire light assembly. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Hello. I am about to install LED bulbs in my 2016 Ram 1500 Bighorn. In preparation to do so, I checked my light pattern on a wall, which I had never done before. I immediately noticed the light centers were off, vertically. Sitting about 10 feet from the wall, the driver side lights were about 6-8 inches lower than the passenger side, both high and low beam. I know the lows can be adjusted, but I can’t see a way to adjust the entire light, which it appears needs to be done. No accidents to alter the aiming. I pulled the drivers side light assembly and I can see no way to adjust the entire light assembly. Any ideas?
Thanks.
What headlights do you have ... remember, your driver side is going to sit just a bit lower than the passenger side to avoid blinding oncoming traffic

OP
OP
D

Danweis1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Standard reflector headlights. So the drivers side is supposed to be a little lower than the passenger side?? I can understand that, but this seems excessive.
Thanks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Standard reflector headlights. So the drivers side is supposed to be a little lower than the passenger side?? I can understand that, but this seems excessive.
Thanks
Yes, on my stock reflectors the driver's side was lower ... very easy to adjust .. there are two holes if you open up the hood , you will see two holes with an arrow ... look down into the one closest to the windshield and you should see the adjuster ....

I leveled mine anyways just enough to not blind oncoming traffic then I adjusted the passengers side as well ...

There is also the adjustment ring when you remove the grille that secures the front of the headlights ....the bottom bolt has an adjustment ...try that one too ...

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Rams have vertical adjustment only. With the hood open, about 6 -7 inches back from the headlamp, there should be a hole in the top fender with an arrow stamped in the sheet metal. That's your vertical adjustment screw.

OP
OP
D

Danweis1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The vertical adjustment is only for the low beams. There is no
Yes, on my stock reflectors the driver's side was lower ... very easy to adjust .. there are two holes if you open up the hood , you will see two holes with an arrow ... look down into the one closest to the windshield and you should see the adjuster ....

I leveled mine anyways just enough to not blind oncoming traffic then I adjusted the passengers side as well ...

There is also the adjustment ring when you remove the grille that secures the front of the headlights ....the bottom bolt has an adjustment ...try that one too ...

I found the adjustment ring inside like you said. Now, which way to turn to make the entire assembly point upward? There is a knurled outside ring which, when turned, either increases or decreases the thickness of the mounting point (see pic). Would thicker make the assembly point up or down?
Thanks

Attachments

• 949782E8-BC1D-487C-80CA-E9EAC43C1C4D.jpeg
    949782E8-BC1D-487C-80CA-E9EAC43C1C4D.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
D

Danweis1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Rams have vertical adjustment only. With the hood open, about 6 -7 inches back from the headlamp, there should be a hole in the top fender with an arrow stamped in the sheet metal. That's your vertical adjustment screw.
Found that early on. That only adjusts the low beam without affecting the high beam.
Thanks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
The vertical adjustment is only for the low beams. There is no

I found the adjustment ring inside like you said. Now, which way to turn to make the entire assembly point upward? There is a knurled outside ring which, when turned, either increases or decreases the thickness of the mounting point (see pic). Would thicker make the assembly point up or down?
Thanks
Yes, the thicker the more it points up ....

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Found that early on. That only adjusts the low beam without affecting the high beam.
Thanks
The high beam reflector is attached to the low beam reflector, so when you move the lows, you are in fact moving the highs. I've had the reflector housings apart and can confirm this. The refector bowls of both highs and lows are molded together and pivot together.
It's also worth noting that there's no guarantee the lights are aimed right from the factory or dealer. On reflector housings, I'll aim the driver side low beam only an inch or 2 lower than the passenger side at 20-25 feet.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks.
Did you get the led lights installed ? Any issues ?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
The high beam reflector is attached to the low beam reflector, so when you move the lows, you are in fact moving the highs. I've had the reflector housings apart and can confirm this. The refector bowls of both highs and lows are molded together and pivot together.
It's also worth noting that there's no guarantee the lights are aimed right from the factory or dealer. On reflector housings, I'll aim the driver side low beam only an inch or 2 lower than the passenger side at 20-25 feet.
Mine weren't aimed right from factory at all ... they were really bad lol ... driver's side was actually so high it was blinding people and the truck was of course stock ... the passengers side was so low you could see the difference on the road ...