Unfamiliar noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rampack15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is also posted on the general discussion - please delete if it's considered a double post.

I recently purchased a '19 1500 big horn. First time driving a Ram. First time driving anything other than a Ford Explorer or Chevy Tahoe. Just finally got rid of my tahoe after 15 or so years.

The Ram I just got makes an unfamiliar noise to me when driving. Seems like it's changing gears or something similar. It sounds like loud bass but it even makes the noise when the sound/radio system is off. Typically happens as a decelerate or accelerate.

Thanks for any info. I plan on running it up to the dealership early this week to see what they say but maybe it isn't a big deal and someone on here is familiar with it.

klodge741

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think it is this you hear I hear it
also.

The final frame-related things Wichman and I talked about were the Active Tuned Mass Modules, ATMMs, which are essentially little cans bolted to the frame rails on either side of the truck, with solenoid-activated weights inside.
As the HEMI engine’s Multi-Displacement System kicks in, and sends the truck into four-cylinder mode, an underhood sensor picks up unwanted vibrations, and triggers these ATMMs to shake their internal weights in a way that’s 180 degrees out of phase with the engine’s unwanted vibration, thus canceling it out and yielding a smooth experience for occupants. This concept is called destructive interference, and it requires tweaking to the ATMMs depending upon the frame length.
184a9ca25929cf8b532d58053ae2376d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk