Unhappy with 1500 towing. Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Don’t tow in overdrive gears, my truck pulled 7k easy locked in 6th gear, 7th and 8th are of gears.

On my current trip, my truck ran so great (maybe because it's all fully broken in or something) but this is the first time it actually wanted to pull my trailer in 7th on flat ground. Normally it'd only hit 7th downhill. And I swear the times it was in 7th it would drop the oil temps by 2 degrees C as well. Maybe just coincidence or bad memory. My transmission didn't seem to care (temps) what gear it was running, always stayed cool (low to mid 80's?).

I had TH engaged of course, but I wonder if locking out OD is still necessary with these new transmissions? Do we ignore what the computer wants and just lock it down to 6th no matter what?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Depends on the robustness of the OD clutch I suppose. I question what the Germans know about towing heavy loads in OD. Their culture doesn't have pickup trucks that tow loads, to my knowledge. Unless a recent cultural change.

OP
OP
Bricknhank

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
So, I have reread this quite long thread that I started and would just like to make a few comments.

The bicycle comparison was used. Having been an avid cyclist years ago along with 30 pounds ago (3K-4K a year in the Midwest with no winter riding), given the choice and keeping the same pace and speed, I always found it easier and less effort to use the combination of a small (front) chainring with smaller rear cogs than the larger chainring and larger rear cogs. Take that for what it’s worth and figure it and calculate any way you want.

As far as vehicle gearing, I mentioned at some point that I was a gearhead in the early 70’s. I had a small block 4 speed 1969 Nova SS that originally had a 3.31 gear. It didn’t take too many runs at the local drag strip to figure that wasn’t a good gear for the quarter mile so I swapped it for a 4.56 which worked well at the drag strip but not so well on the highway. Gas was cheap then so who cared. I moved up to a 69 396 Camaro (the good 375 HP 396) that came with an OEM 4.88 gear. That combination was perfect for the drag strip (and maybe some street racing ) and worse for the highway but obviously it wasn’t a highway cruiser set up like that.

All of that said I understand perfectly well the difference that gear ratio’s make with respect to speed and power to the ground. As I mentioned in one post I didn’t intend on towing a trailer when I purchased my Ram with the 3.21 gear two years ago. When we got the trailer I knew that it would not pull from a stop like a 4.10 gear but figured that once I got going it would be OK. I have since realized that pulling an 8K flatbed trailer loaded with bricks and pulling an 8K square box that sticks up over 11ft are two different things, particularly running into a headwind. I’ve also come to realize that the passengers, cargo and trailer tongue weight can eat into the payload of a well equipped 1500 Longhorn with sunroof, Ramboxes and E-Torque along with taking more effort to get up to speed with each stop and slowdown. It’s a very nice truck and I love it but it’s not optimally equipped for heavy towing.

So, we’re taking the towing slow, not straying too far into hilly country which is relatively easy to do in Illinois and we’re both anxiously awaiting our 2500 with a 6.4 Hemi with 4.10 gears that was ordered 8 and a half weeks ago.

All of the input has been appreciated.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Depends on the robustness of the OD clutch I suppose. I question what the Germans know about towing heavy loads in OD. Their culture doesn't have pickup trucks that tow loads, to my knowledge. Unless a recent cultural change.

It may surprise you (it did me): but looks like they have some pretty heavy duty transmissions in their history, including one for tanks if I read that correctly. Apparently they also built a 6 speed that was used by the heavy duty Fords and GMs in the early 2000's

15hundred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
when I was towing my 3600 lb camper w/ the bighorn I barely knew it was back there. 3.92 gears, ttc-1211 springs, no wdh, cruise at 75 all day long - 12 mpg though

OP
OP
Bricknhank

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
Well here’s my RAM/Towing update. As of the beginning of June my Ram 2500 Longhorn with 6.4/4.10 still wasn’t being assembled. Add to that whatever time it would take to ship from Mexico and the summer would be over. I just happened to find (by accident actually) at a dealer close by, a used 2022 GMC HD 2500 Sierra SLT Crew Cab with a 6.6 Duramax diesel and 10 speed Allison transmission with 8K miles. 3213lbs payload and towing capacity of 18,500. Yes, I bought it and canceled my Longhorn order.
We took the trailer out camping last week and Jeez what a difference over the 1500 Ram. The diesel tows like a dream and the Allison transmission shifts incredibly smooth. 1300 RPM’s towing at 65MPH. I don’t know what I was thinking wanting a gasser instead of a diesel. No strain, no struggle up hills and no winding rpm’s. I always hear great things about the Cummins diesels so I’m not saying that the Duramax diesel is better than the Cummins but had I ordered a Longhorn with a diesel I would still be waiting anyway.
I wish that the GMC that I found was a Denali but it wasn’t. The SLT is OK but not as nice as the Longhorn to be sure.
So again, thanks for all of the help and suggestions. I guess I’ll be hanging out more on the GMC Forum

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My son had a 2018 2500 6.4 4.10's that he towed his 8100lb TT all over the country with. Towed it over 9000 miles and put 90,000 miles on it in 2 years. truck was great and got about 8 MPG towing but traded it last summer for a 2021 2500 Cummins. He towed that same TT on a 2 hour trip a few weeks ago and his EVIC read 12 MPG towing it. He didn't comment much about towing power but he never had any issues with power with the 6.4 towing it either.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well here’s my RAM/Towing update. As of the beginning of June my Ram 2500 Longhorn with 6.4/4.10 still wasn’t being assembled. Add to that whatever time it would take to ship from Mexico and the summer would be over. I just happened to find (by accident actually) at a dealer close by, a used 2022 GMC HD 2500 Sierra SLT Crew Cab with a 6.6 Duramax diesel and 10 speed Allison transmission with 8K miles. 3213lbs payload and towing capacity of 18,500. Yes, I bought it and canceled my Longhorn order.
We took the trailer out camping last week and Jeez what a difference over the 1500 Ram. The diesel tows like a dream and the Allison transmission shifts incredibly smooth. 1300 RPM’s towing at 65MPH. I don’t know what I was thinking wanting a gasser instead of a diesel. No strain, no struggle up hills and no winding rpm’s. I always hear great things about the Cummins diesels so I’m not saying that the Duramax diesel is better than the Cummins but had I ordered a Longhorn with a diesel I would still be waiting anyway.
I wish that the GMC that I found was a Denali but it wasn’t. The SLT is OK but not as nice as the Longhorn to be sure.
So again, thanks for all of the help and suggestions. I guess I’ll be hanging out more on the GMC Forum

Those duramax's are the underdog for sure, but very underrated. "Only" 910 lb/ft of torque compared to the 1050 or whatever cummins and powerstroke are at, but it will pull the same size load despite that.

That's a great find!

OP
OP
Bricknhank

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
My son had a 2018 2500 6.4 4.10's that he towed his 8100lb TT all over the country with. Towed it over 9000 miles and put 90,000 miles on it in 2 years. truck was great and got about 8 MPG towing but traded it last summer for a 2021 2500 Cummins. He towed that same TT on a 2 hour trip a few weeks ago and his EVIC read 12 MPG towing it. He didn't comment much about towing power but he never had any issues with power with the 6.4 towing it either.
Well had my 6.4 been assembled and shipped I’m sure that it would have been just fine. I’ve been driving for 52 years and have had over 50 vehicles, many of them trucks but I never had a diesel nor did I have a need for one however, now that I have towed with one they make for a very nice tow vehicle. Hopefully, the Midwest winter won’t generate any difficulties with the diesel vs a gas engine.

I admit to getting impatient waiting for my Ram. I also spoke to a large RAM dealer that told me that there are lots of shipping and labor problems with the Mexico plant right now. They told me that 300 trucks were shipped to the Midwest and none of the keys were included. Obviously intentional if it’s true. I didn’t feel that this dealer had any reason to lie to me but who knows. I can imagine logistic problems between MX and the US do happen.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I just got back from towing our 28' 6000# travel trailer to woodland park co. and back to DFW. I was worried about towing in the mountains but the truck did great. I went slower than usual..67..and for the whole trip ended up with 9.8 mpg. had no trouble with Raton pass and actually got better mileage in the higher altitude ( woodland park is a 8500', colorado springs area 6500') than on the way home. highest trans temp 195* and even today in 100* in the flatlands 188*trans and coolant 210*/216*

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Well had my 6.4 been assembled and shipped I’m sure that it would have been just fine. I’ve been driving for 52 years and have had over 50 vehicles, many of them trucks but I never had a diesel nor did I have a need for one however, now that I have towed with one they make for a very nice tow vehicle. Hopefully, the Midwest winter won’t generate any difficulties with the diesel vs a gas engine.

I admit to getting impatient waiting for my Ram. I also spoke to a large RAM dealer that told me that there are lots of shipping and labor problems with the Mexico plant right now. They told me that 300 trucks were shipped to the Midwest and none of the keys were included. Obviously intentional if it’s true. I didn’t feel that this dealer had any reason to lie to me but who knows. I can imagine logistic problems between MX and the US do happen.
Son just went on another camping trip towing his TT. He just texted me that he is there. About 2 hours away again this time

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Need to lock the transmission to 6th and not tow in the overdrive gears.
2700 rpm’s is nothing so all good there.
Sounds like it did just fine, I pull around 65 to 70 mph and not really any faster.
Last truck pulled this 7500lbs easy with 3:21s and 35” tires but never in anything over 6th gear.

Attachments

• A7C8138D-52EA-415B-983C-0BC67C3197C7.jpeg
    A7C8138D-52EA-415B-983C-0BC67C3197C7.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 6

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Smart move OP.....I'd say that the Cummins probably a little better for towing longevity but the Allison tranny in your new GM truck is proven bulletproof....

Welcome to the world of worry free towing and relaxed camping arrivals.

Ch