Unhappy with 6.4 hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018 Hemi

Reaction score
Keep the 2018 2500 6.4 Hemi 373 gears or trade. Traded in a 2007 3500 with Cummins and 410 gears, the new truck is a great truck and pulls my 10,000 lb rv great on flat land but not happy about the hills. Another thing I didn’t keep in mind was refueling at gas stations, was use to truck stops for diesel. After being use to running up a mountain side loaded and afraid to try with this truck. Less than 15,000 miles on this but not happy with it, should have done more resource.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Personally, I would have kept the 07 bull. Way too much tech in new vehicles for my personal liking. Yes they are very nice but just too much that I cannot fix myself, I can hardly fix my 06 without help from the great people on here.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck should be fine with 3.73 just slow. 4.33 would probably put you in a better gearing for mountains/hills than the 4.10 but I’m sure 4.10 would be plenty. The hemi likes the rpms anyways (gas is more power higher rpm) vs the diesels making massive torque down low.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Keep the 2018 2500 6.4 Hemi 373 gears or trade. Traded in a 2007 3500 with Cummins and 410 gears, the new truck is a great truck and pulls my 10,000 lb rv great on flat land but not happy about the hills. Another thing I didn’t keep in mind was refueling at gas stations, was use to truck stops for diesel. After being use to running up a mountain side loaded and afraid to try with this truck. Less than 15,000 miles on this but not happy with it, should have done more resource.

Not sure what you’re looking for. The 6.4 makes it’s peak power up around 4000RPMs. It’s not going to chug along at 1500RPMs like a diesel does. Gears would help, and are likely easier on the bank account than a new truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
It took me a while to get used to the 6.4L. I traded in a fully deleted and tuned 2010 6.7L cummins for a brand new 2015 6.4L hemi a few years ago. It took some time to get used to how the hemi performed in a 3/4 ton truck. Shift points, the power band was completely different. Towing through mountains with a 31' TT was a OK. Wasn't winning any up hill races. But for every day driving and towing worked just fine. Got divorced had to find something cheaper for a while got into a 05 2500 5.9L cummins and took a while to get used to a diesel again. If the that truck had been in better shape I probably would still be driving it. I love the sound of a 5" tbe on the 5.9L, that was my second 5.9L. After things settled down I picked up a new 2018 2500 6.4L. Learning curve was less this time but the 18 felt like it had a little more power than the 15.

But as others have said, I'd regear, cheaper than getting a new diesel. But it still won't pull as good as a diesel.

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Trade for a 2019 6.4 8 speed with 4.10. The quick decisive firm shifting 8 speed transmission has much better gear spacing and is dramatically better. You will no longer mind that 10k RV in the mountains.

I have a tuned 2014 Ecodiesel 465TQ 3.92. Have towed 9,100 pound TT over 1,000 miles over 6 percent grades. 595k miles no transmission repairs. Only 5 fluid changes with 3 filter changes.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recommend gears and a pedal commander. A diablsport tuner may also be a good idea to get a little more power out of the 6.4. Also you may or may not know that the gas engine will need to stay higher in the rpms to stay in its power band. while towing be sure to keep it in tow/haul mode and when going up big hills it may even pay to lock out the higher gears if you find it up shifting to soon.

Gears will help it get up and go and stay in its power band. The PC will also help the get up and go as well as help the trans tend to down shift earlier.

Let us know if you would like pricing on anything.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
If your on stock tires and plan on staying that way.. ..spend the 3k and regear to 4.56s.

It still won't pull like a diesel. But the times your running empty you'll have a big smile on your face every time you get after the skinny pedal a little.

My truck is similar to yours and handles my 6k TT just fine.

If your camper is north of 10k loaded that's asking a lot of the 6.4.but the 4.56s would help a lot. Good luck

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So I'll chime in - I traded in both my old Powerstrokes (yes I had 2 6.0's, and never had a problem with either of them, one bulletproofed, one stock) on my '17 PW. At the time I wasn't pulling a camper anymore so I was okay with the gasser, and I wasn't buying a PW for the mileage!

Then we bought a new camper, an Ultra-lite that weighs in around 7k...and the PW didn't pull like I expected, until I decided to let it run the gears out. Made a HECK of a difference when you let it get up into the power band that it likes! Mileage still sucks, but it does just fine!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
So I'll chime in - I traded in both my old Powerstrokes (yes I had 2 6.0's, and never had a problem with either of them, one bulletproofed, one stock) on my '17 PW. At the time I wasn't pulling a camper anymore so I was okay with the gasser, and I wasn't buying a PW for the mileage!

Then we bought a new camper, an Ultra-lite that weighs in around 7k...and the PW didn't pull like I expected, until I decided to let it run the gears out. Made a HECK of a difference when you let it get up into the power band that it likes! Mileage still sucks, but it does just fine!
This!
A gas engine needs to spin to make power. Let her get up in the rpm range (4k+) and she'll pull like a freight train.

Again not like a diesel but once spun up the 6.4 is a beast for a gas engine and has tons of juice. Pleanty for me anyway...

Just be diligent with PMs and let the 6.4 wind out on the big grades. If you keep it well maintained, use good oil and filter and you won't hurt it.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Why change gears when you can simply drop a gear or two with the trans to get the engine in the meat of the torque curve?

The 6 speeds behind the 6.4's are really geared for an oil burner rather than the Hemi. Changing to 4.56's or 4.88's (Depending on tires) brings the truck back up into the powerband and helps offset the poor transmission gearing when towing. The new 8 speed 6.4's solve this is a big way since the tranny is properly geared so there the 3.73's or the 4.10's work a lot better.

JimE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Never cease to find these threads on fuel economy, engine displacement, axle ratios, and transmissions entertaining. I often chuckle at posts by people that may not have a valid reason for owning a pickup of any nature or bought a 4X4 when the'll never have driving conditions that would need a 4X4. I have a 2017 crew cab with a 5.7 Hemi and a 392 LSD rear axle and frankly it sucks for a variety of reasons and has never equaled the 2012 2500, 5.7 Hemi, 6 speed tranny, standard cab with 4.10 axle, and 8 foot bed. Candidly I made a bad choice, the RAM 1500 just flat sucks and doesn't even come close to equaling the old beat up 1990 F-150, 5.0L, A4OD, 4.11 axle, extended cab that In years past I have used many times to pull a 2,000 pound all steel trailer loaded with a 4-6,000 pound classic car. That old girl has been coast to coast many times and experienced every driving condition imaginable and never delivered less than 15 mpg at Interstate posted speed limits or around town. I still have that truck, just for the memories. Why not Ford today? Aluminum!

Now to the 5.7-6.4 fuel economy comparisons. Engines in the displacement area of the 6.4 have always been fuel consumption dogs since they first appeared in the late 1950's. Didn't matter who made them they were and are fuel consumption dogs; though some produced massive amounts of torque that would burn robber from El Paso, Texas to San Diego, California, while others were incapable of getting out of their own way. Both because they resulted from the cheapest way to modify a lesser displacement engine to tout greater displacement. Marketing gimmick design!

thestuntboy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 2500/2001 2500/2018 3500
Engine
8.0/5.9 gas/6.4
18,000 lbs without any trouble 6.4 3500 Dually. while New England isn't the Sierra Nevada's its not flat either. The 6.4 behaves different than most people are used to , I keep it in 4th while towing and just let her do what she wants. Does a diesel pull better? of course but I can pull what I need to at my pace.

tow load.jpg

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
I agree that you have to get used to the engine being at higher RPMs when towing with a gas engine, compared to a diesel. Some people feel uncomfortable hearing the engine like that, but that is normal for a gas engine. The higher RPM keeps the fan turning faster and cooling better as well.

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
The 3.73s coupled with the 6.4 are absolute garbage.

Pulling a trailer or plowing snow, they suck. They're fine for the guy that tows once a month or year and just uses his truck to pickup groceries, but for actual work, they are terrible.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A few things have had to happen but I am thrilled with mine. Compared apples to apples against a newer diesel straight up towing it's not going to win any trophies but here is what I've found. I've heard of the strange ~10k miles phenomenon and although it still sounds crazy to me, mine really seemed to loosen up around that time. It almost feels like it switches to a different tune. Not sure if there is something in the programming or if all of it can be attributed to break-in. With my diesel I got lazy and towed with cruise a lot. I never do that with the 6.4 because it throws a temper tantrum. But if you use some finesse it tows really well. We just recently bought and started towing a 32' gooseneck living quarters horse trailer. Last trip our total trailer weight was around 9000. I shot for 65-70 mph. I'd let her pick up a little speed down hills and scrub a little off up hills to avoid unnecessary downshifting for the sake of keeping the same exact mph all the time. Granted I'm not in the mountains, but my downshifting (from 5th as 6th is locked out) was rare. Fuel mileage has drastically improved too. Lieometer showed mid 13s towing and it's showing 17s unloaded. Once I realized I've got to driving it differently than a diesel to play to it's strengths it's done well. Sure I miss my 6.7 sometimes, but all in all I don't look back.