Unhappy with 6.4 hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Install 4.88s/5.13s, and an ATS thermal bypass valve delete. You’ll be up in the power band quicker, and the tranny will run 15-20° cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree 100% but in JDs case he has a fleet of em and at 2-3k per....that gets cost prohibitive in a hurry.

Agreed dealer telling him to two in 4th is total bs!

When I'm in 4th the rams are up over 2500 at 55 to 60 ....I believe....not ideal for a long trip....I think in 5th at 60 I'm over 2k..if I recall correctly. ...

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
If you’re stuck with the poor excuse for a 6 speed what does it cost to re gear a 4WD? For most people it might be cheaper to trade for a 4.10 geared 8 speed truck.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Agree 100% but in JDs case he has a fleet of em and at 2-3k per....that gets cost prohibitive in a hurry.

Agreed dealer telling him to two in 4th is total bs!

When I'm in 4th the rams are up over 2500 at 55 to 60 ....I believe....not ideal for a long trip....I think in 5th at 60 I'm over 2k..if I recall correctly. ...

I took it as he has a fleet, and the newest truck is a 6.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
If you’re stuck with the poor excuse for a 6 speed what does it cost to re gear a 4WD? For most people it might be cheaper to trade for a 4.10 geared 8 speed truck.

Typically in the 3k range Vernon. Not cheap that's for sure.

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
Keep the 2018 2500 6.4 Hemi 373 gears or trade. Traded in a 2007 3500 with Cummins and 410 gears, the new truck is a great truck and pulls my 10,000 lb rv great on flat land but not happy about the hills. Another thing I didn’t keep in mind was refueling at gas stations, was use to truck stops for diesel. After being use to running up a mountain side loaded and afraid to try with this truck. Less than 15,000 miles on this but not happy with it, should have done more resource.

Been down this road be for. Ugh.. Owned 4 Hemi and 2 CTD rams 1/2 and 3/4 tons. When pulling I want pwr when needed and the gassers simply dont have it!. Always struggle uphills/ on ramps, merging or passing with my gas jobs. Spending bigs bucks on re gearing and then seeing the tach redline just to watch the fuel needle drop quicker..
However a sticker shock of 10grand for a CTD makes many owners choose for rims and interior comforts instead.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Been down this road be for. Ugh.. Owned 4 Hemi and 2 CTD rams 1/2 and 3/4 tons. When pulling I want pwr when needed and the gassers simply dont have it!. Always struggle uphills/ on ramps, merging or passing with my gas jobs. Spending bigs bucks on re gearing and then seeing the tach redline just to watch the fuel needle drop quicker..
However a sticker shock of 10grand for a CTD makes many owners choose for rims and interior comforts instead.
Agreed but it's all personal preference....that's why they build em. I don't need a Cummins at this point so I don't have one. That could change someday if I ever have a trailer that needs one..but for now the 6.4 does everything I need it to and then some...

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
So I'll chime in - I traded in both my old Powerstrokes (yes I had 2 6.0's, and never had a problem with either of them, one bulletproofed, one stock) on my '17 PW. At the time I wasn't pulling a camper anymore so I was okay with the gasser, and I wasn't buying a PW for the mileage!

Then we bought a new camper, an Ultra-lite that weighs in around 7k...and the PW didn't pull like I expected, until I decided to let it run the gears out. Made a HECK of a difference when you let it get up into the power band that it likes! Mileage still sucks, but it does just fine!
Agree. I often lock her in 4th to keep the revs up and in the power band. If you let it shift on its own it will bog down. Even in tow/haul mode. You gotta keep the revs up. The mileage sux but the damn thing pulls like a bear.

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
Agree. I often lock her in 4th to keep the revs up and in the power band. If you let it shift on its own it will bog down. Even in tow/haul mode. You gotta keep the revs up. The mileage sux but the damn thing pulls like a bear.

LOL...I agree. Just stupid someone at FCA keeps forcing the wrong gear ratios and transmissions with too many gears on the consumer.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
LOL...I agree. Just stupid someone at FCA keeps forcing the wrong gear ratios and transmissions with too many gears on the consumer.
The issue isn't so much that there are too many choices...it's that too many people don't understand the choices. For instance, if you want a truck just to grab some lumber once in a while, 3.55's or 3.73's will be just fine, heck even 3.23's will work.
If you're going to do truck things with your truck, then you need to set it up right.