Unibody vs frame for towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamClassic LI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a question on a subject that i want to gain knowledge about. We recently upgraded our travel trailer to a Jayco X23b hybrid for the additional space. My 19 Ram Classic quad am 4x4 is the main tow vehicle and it does a good job of towing the trailer Especially when having the wdh/sway hitch dialed in perfectly. My wife wants to start taking our 65lb dog on some of our trips. But having a quad cab with two car seats in the back he has no comfortable place to lay down for long trips and the wife will not put him in a crate in the back bed as well. So my wife’s Grand Cherokee WK2 has the tow package and is in spec to tow our current trailer but I was on the border line of it’s short wheelbase. So I traded it in for a New Durango RT Hemi also purchased an upgraded wdh/sway hitch. I decided to take it for a spin with the trailer and I was truly shocked on how well it towed. It felt more stable than the Ram. Was it because of the stiff unibody structure? The center of gravity since the Durango is lower?

The Ram:

Gvwr=6800
Payload=1550
Rawr=3900

The Durango
Gvwr=7100
Payload=1500
Rawr=3900

The trailer weighs 5500lbs wet and is 24.5 feet long from ball to bumper.

Last edited:

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My guess is the lower center of gravity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
This is likely because of the upgraded WDH hitch and sway control, but there's a lot of factors. Wheelbase probably isn't one, but if the Durango's wheelbase is longer it will help. There is, as stated, a much lower center of gravity which will help to an extent. The Durango has a more even weight distribution, and with it being the RT probably also has wider tires, which means more grip where you need it.

The unibody construction would have masked some of the sway - it would still be present, just not felt, which can be a blessing and a curse. Unibody vehicles are designed to flex some, whereas body-on-frame, not so much. If you can't feel it swaying, you won't (as many people do) freak out and overcorrect...but if it gets swaying too much, it could take you out with no warning.

OP
OP
R

RamClassic LI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the info, how well does a unibody take the added stress of weight distribution vs a normal full frame ram?

OP
OP
R

RamClassic LI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol....if I could fit in my quad cab or if my kids were out of their car seats I would be fine. For the next 3-4 years it looks like the Durango will fit us better. Unless I can find a nice diesel excursion for a reasonable price but people want stupid money for them.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a question on a subject that i want to gain knowledge about. We recently upgraded our travel trailer to a Jayco X23b hybrid for the additional space. My 19 Ram Classic quad am 4x4 is the main tow vehicle and it does a good job of towing the trailer Especially when having the wdh/sway hitch dialed in perfectly. My wife wants to start taking our 65lb dog on some of our trips. But having a quad cab with two car seats in the back he has no comfortable place to lay down for long trips and the wife will not put him in a crate in the back bed as well. So my wife’s Grand Cherokee WK2 has the tow package and is in spec to tow our current trailer but I was on the border line of it’s short wheelbase. So I traded it in for a New Durango RT Hemi also purchased an upgraded wdh/sway hitch. I decided to take it for a spin with the trailer and I was truly shocked on how well it towed. It felt more stable than the Ram. Was it because of the stiff unibody structure? The center of gravity since the Durango is lower?

The Ram:

Gvwr=6800
Payload=1550
Rawr=3900

The Durango
Gvwr=7100
Payload=1500
Rawr=3900

The trailer weighs 5500lbs wet and is 24.5 feet long from ball to bumper.
Well I have a 18 5.7 Laramie crew cab and we are avid campers we too have a travel trailer and weight the same as yours we have a 70 lbs lab and 7 lbs Chihuahua. And yes wel love then but we got a cap on the bed and we create them for our and there safe. It was a experience item but we travel and it is safe

E30D1F63-1C4E-495B-8DB4-746088DB9BE8.jpeg

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Well I have a 18 5.7 Laramie crew cab and we are avid campers we too have a travel trailer and weight the same as yours we have a 70 lbs lab and 7 lbs Chihuahua. And yes wel love then but we got a cap on the bed and we create them for our and there safe. It was a experience item but we travel and it is safe

View attachment 190251

Your hitch isn't set up properly. The trailer should be sitting much closer to level than your picture shows, and I'm guessing that's a halfway level surface you're parked on. You either don't have enough force on your WD bars, or the height of the hitch needs to be adjusted.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know the pic is miss leading I have changed the weight dist hitch aft this pic and will be adding air bags this spring you ban see that the truck in squatting as well that is we are fully packed generator and dogs and coolers

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I know the pic is miss leading I have changed the weight dist hitch aft this pic and will be adding air bags this spring you ban see that the truck in squatting as well that is we are fully packed generator and dogs and coolers

LOL okay, that's good then. Because in that pic...yeah that's not good.

Sadly a LOT of people tow that way and don't see any problem with it...I let them run on by and hope I don't have to stop because of them later.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thank you for the info, how well does a unibody take the added stress of weight distribution vs a normal full frame ram?

I know from participating on Nissan Pathfinder boards and owning a 2019, the later models have a (supposed) tow rating of 6000 lbs, but realistically can't do so once you account for the weight of occupants, cargo, tongue weight and the fact the vehicle is not designed for WDH use.

My guess on that is some unibody frames aren't designed to handle the upward lift force from the receiver that a WDH will put on them.

The independent rear suspensions squat heavily, wearing the inside edges of the tires. /----\ Airbags in the springs will help the squat somewhat, but there's still too much weight on the ****-end.

Couple all that with the aerodynamic nightmare that travel trailers are and it's going to be a white knuckle ride I would not want to do for tons of miles. I would want to do zero miles in heavy cross-winds.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes it the complete opposite with the front so hi. But thank you

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I know from participating on Nissan Pathfinder boards and owning a 2019, the later models have a (supposed) tow rating of 6000 lbs, but realistically can't do so once you account for the weight of occupants, cargo, tongue weight and the fact the vehicle is not designed for WDH use.

My guess on that is some unibody frames aren't designed to handle the upward lift force from the receiver that a WDH will put on them.

The independent rear suspensions squat heavily, wearing the inside edges of the tires. /----\ Airbags in the springs will help the squat somewhat, but there's still too much weight on the ****-end.

Couple all that with the aerodynamic nightmare that travel trailers are and it's going to be a white knuckle ride I would not want to do for tons of miles. I would want to do zero miles in heavy cross-winds.

This is quite true. Some unibody vehicles don't take into account a WD hitch when they are designed, and aren't tested for that scenario. Others (like the Durango and its counterpart, the Grand Cherokee) do and are.