Unstable Towing with our 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never had a worse truck for towing than my 4th gen 1500 outdoorsman, crewcab LWB 4x4 with 3.92 gears. To light. Yes they can be set up a little better with special hitches and balancing acts etc but in my opinion for towning get a 2500 or 3500. They have no payload capability whatsoever. My last TT was a 28 foot that weighed about 7900 dry and a tongue weight of 900lbs with battery and propane. Only towed it a short distance and it was awful. So legally I couldn't take the family or my 4 wheeler. With my 2500 I can do it all and not know it's back there and do it much safer. Now I have a 12,000 lb 5th wheel that I can't even consider using the 1500 to pull. I use the 1500 as a car basically and use the box when I can. Rides great, reliable but no good for towing. Leave that to the HD trucks. People say it can be done and they do it and I belive them to a point, but I've done it with 1500, 2500 and 3500. The ram 1500 is just to light, especially on the highway.
OMG, I didn't know that 2500's and 3500's didn't have door stickers and you can tow ANYTHING you want. I want a 50' mini home with four axles!!!! They only weigh 40000#.

S.Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OMG, I didn't know that 2500's and 3500's didn't have door stickers and you can tow ANYTHING you want. I want a 50' mini home with four axles!!!! They only weigh 40000#.
I never said they can tow anything you want. They certainly tow better than a 1500 , especially with a Cummins. Of course they have door stickers, and the towing and payload ratings are much higher than the 1500. Not sure where I said I was towing 40 grand. Something must have upset you. I do alot and especially lately. I have a 1500 and a 2500 HD so it's easier for me to pick the better vehicle for the job. Also the family business has multiple 2500 and 3500 diesels to use from time to time. So yeah I've compared trucks, often in the same day and you can't say a 1500 tows better. Anyway, sorry you are upset.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never said they can tow anything you want. They certainly tow better than a 1500 , especially with a Cummins. Of course they have door stickers, and the towing and payload ratings are much higher than the 1500. Not sure where I said I was towing 40 grand. Something must have upset you. I do alot and especially lately. I have a 1500 and a 2500 HD so it's easier for me to pick the better vehicle for the job. Also the family business has multiple 2500 and 3500 diesels to use from time to time. So yeah I've compared trucks, often in the same day and you can't say a 1500 tows better. Anyway, sorry you are upset.
Oh. I guess I misunderstood you when you wrote " They have no payload capability whatsoever." Sorry

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm late and lazy to read - I saw someone said you were under hitched and I agree.
I could tell from your trucks axle weights you were, since the stock ram is front heavy by about 6-700 lbs and you're rear heavy by about 650lbs. Means not enough weight is being transferred to the front axle. Other have given better explanations so I'll bow out.

Happy and safe towing.

James

rp709

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
Much good advice above. In a nutshell, the goal is 10-15% of trailer weight to be on the tongue. That balance of the trailer alone is critical. Next, you must ensure you are transferring enough weight to the front axle with the WDH. This requires the right spring bars for the weights. Check with Reese. Then, the Ram air suspension requires you to follow the manual for spring bar setup. You drive with suspension in Normal. It is true that your trailer has a lot of surface area and this provides a challenge to 1/2 ton truck tires. The stiffer sidewall of E range is superior but very stiff for the unloaded 1500.
Rather than change the truck, you can eliminate this sway by using a ProPride hitch, or the Hensley Arrow. These eliminated sway completely. I have thousands of miles towing Airstream trailers (28-31 feet) with a large SUV and 3/4 ton diesel pickups. The first thing I would purchase if I decided to tow an Airstream again with my Ram 1500 Hemi E-Torque would be a Propride hitch. You will not notice passing Semi's even in strong crosswinds. There is nothing like these, and worth every penny in my opinion. I prefer the updated Propride design to the Hensley.