Unusual Hemi Squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slayer12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey Guys,

First time on the forum. Hoping you guys might have some ideas for me, because I am pulling my hair out. I have a 2012 hemi 5.7L with 120K miles on it. About 1K miles ago it developed a squeak/squeal/chirp sound at idle and at very low speeds. It only does it when the engine if fully warmed up. Initial cold start, there is no squeak.

I have eliminated the belt, belt tensioner, and all pulleys. When the noise started I went ahead and threw a new belt and tensioner on it, thinking that would resolve the issue. When it didn't, I ran the engine with the belt fully removed for a short time and they noise was still there. So I know it isn't a pulley either.

After this I did some research and came across a video where the squeak was caused by the harmonic balancer. The rubber develops a crack and when rotated can cause a squeak. I bought a stethoscope and sure enough the noise was coming from the front of the engine down by the crankshaft. Looked at my balancer and it was cracked in the same manner that I found on the video. Done deal! Except I replaced the balancer and the squeak is still there.

At this point, I have eliminated all moving components on the front of the engine and am at a total loss as to where this noise is coming from. I can't imagine any internals such as main bearings or anything of that nature would make a squeak/chirp noise.

Any thoughts on where to go from here? TIA

OP
OP
S

Slayer12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm 99% positive I have found the issue now after doing some online research. I believe I have the dreaded lifter issue eating up the cam. I pulled my oil filter last night and cut it open. It was full of small metal shavings.

I tried doing a search, but couldn't find anything definitive. Is there a complete Cam/Lifter kit that you would recommend? I don't want to delete the MDS as I plan on buying a new truck next year. Just need a "relatively" cheaper option to get it fixed. I found a kit on Ebay, but not sure how I feel about that one.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buy the parts separately. Kits are never the best bang for your buck. You will need mopar lifters and cam, head gaskets, head bolts, water pump gasket, timing cover gasket, valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, thermostat. Several gallons of oil and filters, as well as mopar 5 year HOAT coolant. Now would be a good time to do exhaust manifolds since those are probably warped also.

Read this thread: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4th-gen-hemi-cam-installation.82531/

And watch this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OKN082YGKOA

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to hear about your issues. Dang!! It sounds like you are remaining calm and in good mind about it.

It doesn't take that much to remove the front of the truck, so you can stand in there and work more comfortably.

OP
OP
S

Slayer12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm not happy about it, but that's just life. Something is always bound to happen. One advantage I have is I run a crane repair shop, so I have techs to help with the project.

However, I'm really leaning towards trading it in and buying a new truck a little earlier than I was planning on

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm not happy about it, but that's just life. Something is always bound to happen. One advantage I have is I run a crane repair shop, so I have techs to help with the project.

However, I'm really leaning towards trading it in and buying a new truck a little earlier than I was planning on

What was your oil change interval like? Just changed when the truck said to do it?

Also what brand and viscosity of oil were you using?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Trading up might be the right time, like you (OP) say...

Best of luck whatever path you choose. :waytogo:

OP
OP
S

Slayer12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What was your oil change interval like? Just changed when the truck said to do it?

Also what brand and viscosity of oil were you using
My interval is more time based than mileage. I have a work vehicle, so my truck really only gets used to tow my boat or when I need the bed for something. Roughly 5K miles a year.

I have always ran Amsoil 5W-20 w/ their filter. I forget the model of the Amsoil, but it's their top tier. One of my techs is a rep, so I get it at cost.

OP
OP
S

Slayer12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My debate now is should I trade it in or fix it and sell it private party. I'm guessing I'll get $7500ish on trade. If I fix it I would think I could get 12K to 15K in the private market, but I honestly don't know. I haven't sold a private party vehicle in a very long time. Do they sell well??? My truck with the exception of this new problem is in flawless condition for it's age. Little bit of paint chipping around the bumper, but other than that no scratches, dents, etc. Interior is perfect.

I'm assuming I can fix it for roughly $1000 to $1500 bucks with one of my guys fixing it.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You probably can.

120k is a good time to start looking again... like you say.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take it in and get it appraised, if you get $7500 on trade I’d take it. Would have to be a perfect condition rust free Laramie to get close to $15k private party. More likely something around $10k.