unxpctd's 2021 75A Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
unxpctd

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Big day coming Saturday and into next week:

I'm going to install the Softopper on Saturday. The bed mat arrived from Husky too...easy install.

Tint goes on sometime Monday. I have a co-worker doing it...he does great work. 50% sides and an eyebrow

My exhaust was supposed to arrive yesterday but didn't. I'm going to assume it will arrive today.

I have a local shop doing the install and also putting on the mud flaps.

Coming together. Pics this weekend!

OP
OP
unxpctd

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Softopper is on! I have a few things to finish up on it...velcroing the back flap down and snap install on the front of the bed.

Fits in the garage and looks great!

I absolutely LOVE the Husky bed liner. Fits perfectly and is so much easier on the knees when having to move around the bed.

I will post some pics tonight. Going to play a round of golf this afternoon.

Tint on Monday and on Wednesday the mud flaps and exhaust go on!

OP
OP
unxpctd

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
H2IXCnQh.jpg

nBdriArh.jpg

egQtSRah.jpg

Have a few things to finish up tomorrow on the topper. Have to install the snaps on the inside front window (snaps down to the bed) and install the velcro strips on the tailgate for the back window.

Really liking it so far!

Few more pics later this week after the tint / exhaust and mud flaps!

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man your truck is coming along nicely, you must be counting the days till you can get out and leave the city in your rear view mirror. Thanks for sharing

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
H2IXCnQh.jpg

nBdriArh.jpg

egQtSRah.jpg

Have a few things to finish up tomorrow on the topper. Have to install the snaps on the inside front window (snaps down to the bed) and install the velcro strips on the tailgate for the back window.

Really liking it so far!

Few more pics later this week after the tint / exhaust and mud flaps!
Skip the Velcro on the tailgate. It gets gummed up with road dirt and will eventually pull off if you are in and out of the bed often. Then you are left with glue residue on your tailgate to collect more road dirt. That was my experience

OP
OP
unxpctd

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks 56PW17....I did put it on there this morning. If it does what you say I'll just pull it off and leave it as is.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Hello Nice Truck!!....Try programming yours by using the remote for the garage door inside setting your truck as you toggle training mode on the truck button with some one pushing the training button on the Garage door with your truck parked outside the door with garage door open. The MOPAR instructions never worked on any of mine with any of the MOPAR vehicles on two different manufactures of G. Doors ! ....The hand held remotes will train new MOPARS every time I have 4 different garage doors! Hope that solves it for you.

Last edited:

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I only use the Remote control for programming. Works every time.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Yes. That Homelink Instructions has never worked by supposedly not using the garage door remotes.:)

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
very nice its going to be great I am kinda doing the same thing for the same reason but I chose a hard shell because where I plan to camp there are grizzlies maybe slow them down if they want to eat me and the missus lol. I plan to make a 18 inch lifter for the topper with sheet metal walls I am cheap so I try to build anything I can instead of buying it I am not above stealing a good idea.rock sliders spare tire carrier ect.check my threads. I plan on adapting a gas tank out of a 94 blazer for a reserve tank when I get things together hard times in Alberta thanks Joe and Justin frickin *********

OP
OP
unxpctd

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well the tint is on....side windows and eyebrow on the windshield. Exhaust and mud flaps went on today too. It turned out great!

The MBRP exhaust is beastly. Just loud enough and low V8 rumble to make it sound mean...but not annoying enough to be "too much". I've only
put a few miles on it...but love it already!

Pics tomorrow!

OP
OP
unxpctd

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sorry I didn't get these posted earlier...work's been a pain.

MBRP Exhaust and Ram mud flap:

0LPuu0Jh.jpg

RKGokaXh.jpg

Resonator deleted as part of the new exhaust. Sounds great. Really like it so far. Putting a few more miles on it today.
MBRP had numerous possibilities. Dual side exit/single side exit/single tips/dual tips. I opted for the single side exit with dual tips. This is the T409 Stainless version and was $754.99 with free shipping. It took
5-6 weeks to get it delivered. The only change I may make in the future is maybe the black tips. For now though...it looks and sounds great!

This next Thursday I leave for a trip down to Alabama to see some family. Should be 2300 miles round trip. Will be a nice break in trip and get to stretch her legs a bit!

OP
OP
unxpctd

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Got back this AM from a 2200 mile round trip from Minnesota to Alabama to see some family. It was a great trip. 3300 on the clock now.

The PW performed almost perfectly. It is an amazing truck. Couple things I have observed.

- The 12" screen is awesome! I love the upgraded GPS from my 2017 Rebel. I no longer have to run dual GPS units like I did on my Rebel. This GPS is great...does everything.

- The MBRP exhaust is absolutely perfect. Rumbly/V8 sound...but the drone is minimal with XM/iPod on....reminds me it's there...absolutely love it. The PW goes into ECO mode ALOT....which increases mileage but with this combo the sound doesn't change much...just enough to let you know it changed into ECO mode. My 2017 Rebel was more pronounced. The 2021 PW...love it. I was amazed at the 8 speed transmission / 6.4 combo...and how it can maintain the ECO mode. I was able to maintain ECO mode (at once) for 8 miles in a row...on a flat stretch. My 2017 Rebel w/ a Carven exhaust never did this. Also...this 6.4/8 speed combo does NOT downshift as much as my 5.7/8 Speed did in my Rebel. My PW went up grades without downshifting. It was great.

- 1150 miles on my PW at the start of the trip...was only able to get 13.5-14mpg. By the end I was averaging 13.5-14.5 actual calculated....gas pump numbers.
- I also moved from 89 to 87 octane half way through the trip and mileage increased...but could be from the break in being done.

- I found the sweet spot for mileage to be about 68mph....but I had my cruise set at 65-75....rarely above that.

- At about 2900 miles....on the trip back I had an error pop up "Tire Pressure Unavailable" It has not reset after a couple restarts. The dash tire light stays on. Seems to be a problem with people that have replaced rims/tires but mine are stock. The tires are fine...no apparent loss of pressure. I'll leave it as is for now...see if it fixes itself...but will be on the list for the dealership at the 1st oil change.

- I will add one more thing: The Softopper worked great...no complaints. Love this thing.

More to report later....no pics...just a quick trip down south and back.

More to come in the upcoming months! This next weekend is the first time my PW and my Escapade Backcountry Off Road camper will be paired....pics in a week or so! Can't wait! First camper trip!

OP
OP
unxpctd

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well the Tire Pressure Sensor error on the dash cleared itself.

I haven't driven or started it in a few days (since I got back from my trip) and when I started it today it was back. Went to the car wash (wand style) and washed everything off well. Went for a nice drive to blow off the water and
the error cleared from the dash. Odd.

Does anyone know where the sensors are? Aren't the in the tires? Just curious...this is something I know nothing about. If it stays gone (the error) I'll just mention it at my first oil change appt.

Upcoming!! My first trip with the PW and camper! Leaving Saturday for 2 days in Wisconsin! It won't be a full off-grid trip...staying in a campground with a friend.. This is a great shake down trip for the combo.

August will be a full off-grid 9 day trip to Colorado. Can't wait!

Pics coming Monday after the camping trip!

Monster Machine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Well the Tire Pressure Sensor error on the dash cleared itself.

I haven't driven or started it in a few days (since I got back from my trip) and when I started it today it was back. Went to the car wash (wand style) and washed everything off well. Went for a nice drive to blow off the water and
the error cleared from the dash. Odd.

Does anyone know where the sensors are? Aren't the in the tires? Just curious...this is something I know nothing about. If it stays gone (the error) I'll just mention it at my first oil change appt.

Upcoming!! My first trip with the PW and camper! Leaving Saturday for 2 days in Wisconsin! It won't be a full off-grid trip...staying in a campground with a friend.. This is a great shake down trip for the combo.

August will be a full off-grid 9 day trip to Colorado. Can't wait!

Pics coming Monday after the camping trip!
The tire pressure sensors are in the valve stems...

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey does the Pedal Commander turn off MDS yet?

OP
OP
unxpctd

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My Pedal Commander (PC31 if i recall) does NOT turn off the MDS. I took this PC off my 2017 Rebel and was prepared to buy a new one for my 2021 PW but it was the same model...and it works
great with my 2021 PW. It's not the Bluetooth model but I don't really care about that...works great.

I still manually turn off MDS on occasion by manually making it max out at +8 on the transmission.

I actually like that I can do it manually.....which I do in town on occasion. On the highway the MDS is always OFF...let the engine go into ECO when needed...love it.

This 6.4/8-speed is a perfect combo...even with the exhaust (MBRP) it's not loud or intrusive.

OP
OP
unxpctd

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well my first trip with the PW and Off Road camper is complete. It was the perfect shake down trip...

I went 2.5 hours away from my home in MN to a campground in Wisconsin. A long time friend has a cabin in a kid-friendly, very large, campground near Tomah. My friend and his wife have been going there (every weekend/every summer) for 10 years...and the last 4 they have owned one of the small cabins there... They used to pull a camper there...but now they own a small cabin. They love it. I promised him that I would visit once per year...last year we stayed with them in the super small cabin...this year we pulled my Escapade and stayed in a nearby spot in the campground.

Let me preface this by saying... While I love my friend and his family...this campground was my worst nightmare. There was like 800 camping spots...some cabins/some permanent camper spots/some rental spots. It was by Tomah and called Jellystone. The have TONS of golf carts running around...and the noise and commotion was horrid....(for me). While I love my buddy...this was tough to deal with. The spot next to us had young kids...bright lights and were up to 12AM. It was horrendous. I didn't say anything...just dealt with it. Soon enough, off grid, I won't have to deal with this.

The camper and PW were great. The tongue weight is about 350lbs (with a 2nd battery I added) so the PW barely flinched. It got 10.8mpg on the trip TO Wisconsin and today, on the way back, I got 11.6mpg. Very happy overall...it pulls it like is not there and it follows beautifully. I didn't put it into TOW/HAUL mode so it actually hit ECO mode quite a bit...(not as much as when no trailer is there)...but still did awesome.

I ran a regular hitch but need a 2" drop hitch...so it will fit into my garage. It's all about the angle. My trailer clears my garage with less than 1' The regular hitch I used (which I used on my 2017 Rebel to pick the trailer up) was fine with the Rebel... I need a 1-2" drop hitch for the Power Wagon. I will purchase one soon. With the PW the top of the front of the trailer dragged on the top of the garage door...ugh. 1 simple drop hitch will fix it...will get one soon.

The Maxxfan worked great...once the sun went down the camper was comfortable for sleeping. It was unfortunately parked in shade so I hooked to shore power for the 2 days...but everything worked fine...fridge..super cold...and fan/charging stuff...great. BUT...was on shore power. I will have to be in sun for the solar panels to do their job and charge the dual batteries. Learning experience...this trip helped to teach me that. NEED SUN! :)

Great trip for a shakedown... List of items needed soon:

- I have small curtains on each window...going to add a 2nd layer to each curtain to make it darker
- small long lighting (LED) for the upper top of the inside of the camper
- couple small USB fans to assist with air movement
- extra mattress pad (queen size) just for comfort

Overall not any major changes. I didn't have EVERYTHING in the back of the PW...but had room for it. I didn't pack the grill/solo stove and aqua bricks but I'll make room for them for the next trip.

The next trip is the major test: Off Grid...NO HOTELS....that's the promise I made to myself...buy this camper...no hotels.

August 2021: Colorado and Rocky Mountain National Park. Also hope to see Black Canyon National Park and other areas. 9 days or so...total.

Pic of the PW and camper taken today:

8OIZXeVh.jpg

OP
OP
unxpctd

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sorry all...been away for a bit. Some minor medical issues and works been busy.

Well! August 14th, Saturday.... Me and the girlfriend leave for an 8-9 day trip from Minnesota to Colorado.

This will the ultimate off-road/off-grid experience. i have the off road camper and the off road truck (Power Wagon)....

So...2 days in 3 various spots. No hotels....!

We're looking at Woodland Park CO for 2 days, Montrose for 2 days and back to Salida for 2 days. Should be fun!

I will post some pics as we move...can't wait!

Rocky Mountain National Park is a no-go at this point. There are too many restrictions. Just going to skirt around it and enjoy lower mountains.

Can't wait! More pics to come as I get prepared and head to Colorado!