Upcoming FTC arbitration hearing advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bmcgill

Bmcgill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
wow, it looks like Utah is even better then CA, as long as it is under factory warranty you are protected, which means you can go to local court, and if you win they have to pay. In CA you only have 18 months. You may have to keep taking it in to get 30 days or 4 attempts.

• The vehicle was purchased or leased in the state of Utah;
  • The vehicle is still under the manufacturer’s warranty;
  • The vehicle meets the law’s weight requirements; and
  • The manufacturer has had at least four attempts to repair the defect or the car was non-operational for at least 30 days as a result of the defect. In all cases, the repairs or out-of-service dates must be within the first year of purchase or within the warranty period. 30-day used car lemon law allowances are not available.
OH WOW!!!!! Thank you! I have read the Utah lemon law so many times! And I was misreading it! I was reading it that the malfunction had to be within the first 12 months of owning the vehicle OR the manufacturer warranty whichever is shorter. But I just went back and read it again after reading what you wrote and you are correct!
Wow, do I feel better. They have had 5 attempts to fix the 1st issue at which time they kept it 9 1/2 weeks. (well over the 30 days). And this time, they have had 2 attempts but they have had it 22 business days as of today, with no estimate on when they will have it back to me. I really appreciate your input! Thank you.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
OH WOW!!!!! Thank you! I have read the Utah lemon law so many times! And I was misreading it! I was reading it that the malfunction had to be within the first 12 months of owning the vehicle OR the manufacturer warranty whichever is shorter. But I just went back and read it again after reading what you wrote and you are correct!
Wow, do I feel better. They have had 5 attempts to fix the 1st issue at which time they kept it 9 1/2 weeks. (well over the 30 days). And this time, they have had 2 attempts but they have had it 22 business days as of today, with no estimate on when they will have it back to me. I really appreciate your input! Thank you.
Another thing, you actually need the go through arbitration in your state, but then after conforming to rules then take it to court..

This from that Utah Lemon Law...

In addition to the above eligibility requirements, owners must follow the correct repair procedures. In some cases, a manufacturer may have separate arbitration rules for new owners with warranty disputes.

These policies must be adhered to before the state’s lemon law can be used.

No problem for you as you are going through arbitration.

OP
OP
Bmcgill

Bmcgill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Another thing, you actually need the go through arbitration in your state, but then after conforming to rules then take it to court..

This from that Utah Lemon Law...

In addition to the above eligibility requirements, owners must follow the correct repair procedures. In some cases, a manufacturer may have separate arbitration rules for new owners with warranty disputes.

These policies must be adhered to before the state’s lemon law can be used.

No problem for you as you are going through arbitration.
Perfect timing. After reading on here the advice to get an attorney, I just got off the phone with 1. They seemed sure I will lose and will need them and to just have them now but as I reread the Utah lemon law, I must do the arbitration 1st then an attorney.
Thank you again for your perfect timing and support/advice.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They still have the truck? So they are racking up days during arbitration? That would be helpful.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I doubt they even fight you on this, just good to have info just in case.

OP
OP
Bmcgill

Bmcgill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I think that must be why the attorney I spoke to was very high pressure to have me retain them. Granted he didn't want $ but the law says to do arbitration first, so that's what i plan to do.

pjs386

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure you bring a GOOD lawyer to represent your interests - FCA will have unlimited legal resources to counter or minimize your claim.

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
Why would you take a new truck as a replacement? How eager are you to start this all over again? I'd be looking for a pre-Def Cummins...

OP
OP
Bmcgill

Bmcgill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I honestly believe this situation has just been a folly of all the bad parts being put in 1 truck. I don't believe it is common for them to have so many systems go wrong or fail.
If I believed they could give me enough for a new 2500 truck, I'd do it.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Make sure you bring a GOOD lawyer to represent your interests - FCA will have unlimited legal resources to counter or minimize your claim.
When I went through this with Ford, lawyers were not allowed for Ford or me at the arbitration level. If arbitration had failed, then I could have lawyered up.

OP
OP
Bmcgill

Bmcgill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Thank you. This is what I read for the lemon law in Utah. Arbitration 1st. Then if needed I can get attorney and proceed. Since I still don't have it, I can't imagine them not offering new truck.

Mando Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As I said in my intro, my 2020 1500 ecodiesel engine died, dealer had it 9.5 weeks and replaced the starter and fuel rails. 2 weeks later oil pressure light came on out of state (from Utah now on trip in CA). Dealer in CA told me it would be fixed quickly. I knew otherwise. They have now had it 4 weeks. They gave me a paper to contact the FTC arbitration. I filed the necessary paperwork and they ACCEPTED my case and now I have teleconference hearing July 25. I believe i have a solid case but I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and if so do you have any advice. I'm seeking a new truck or 100% of my purchase price so I can replace my truck. I've been without my truck for 3 months. Yes they gave me a loaner, it's part of my warranty, however I drive diesel and the they give me gas which gets about half the mileage. I'm thinking of asking for money to cover the additional gas cost and I have every receipt from getting gas. Or at least give me half of the gas cost due to the poor mileage.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Wow... I had troubles with my 2016 Ecodiesel; it was an amazingly powerful and fuel-efficient machine until the EGR housing cracked and then the emissions 'flash' turned it into a gutless wonder. I'd heard the newer Ecodiesel engines were 'totally re-engineered' but sounds like they've got their problems as well. I did get the cash for getting the 'flash' done for emissions, and wound up also getting fully reimbursed for the $2500 cost of the EGR repair. I finally had the dealership buy me out of the 2016 and I basically got the exact same truck (2019 Ram Classic) - same color and features (to keep my matching cap over the bed) but with a Hemi. It's been solid for the three years I've had it. Good luck with your efforts.

squadco343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
As I said in my intro, my 2020 1500 ecodiesel engine died, dealer had it 9.5 weeks and replaced the starter and fuel rails. 2 weeks later oil pressure light came on out of state (from Utah now on trip in CA). Dealer in CA told me it would be fixed quickly. I knew otherwise. They have now had it 4 weeks. They gave me a paper to contact the FTC arbitration. I filed the necessary paperwork and they ACCEPTED my case and now I have teleconference hearing July 25. I believe i have a solid case but I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and if so do you have any advice. I'm seeking a new truck or 100% of my purchase price so I can replace my truck. I've been without my truck for 3 months. Yes they gave me a loaner, it's part of my warranty, however I drive diesel and the they give me gas which gets about half the mileage. I'm thinking of asking for money to cover the additional gas cost and I have every receipt from getting gas. Or at least give me half of the gas cost due to the poor mileage.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Went thru a similar case and large percent of the time the panel does NOT side with the customer. In fact the reviews I read supported this. Used Cremeens Law Group PLLC out of Tampa, FL twice. He is the best and no cost to you. They paid his legal fees. By the way he stated to me that Chrysler, Dodge, Ram is the worst in customer service compared to other manufactures. From experience, I agree.

squadco343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Went thru a similar case and large percent of the time the panel does NOT side with the customer. In fact the reviews I read supported this. Used Cremeens Law Group PLLC out of Tampa, FL twice. He is the best and no cost to you. They paid his legal fees. By the way he stated to me that Chrysler, Dodge, Ram is the worst in customer service compared to other manufactures. From experience, I agree.

OP
OP
Bmcgill

Bmcgill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Thank you. Does that company work outside of FL? I spoke to a screener for a law group and he was very eager to have me sign with them. If I'm not satisfied with the settlement I'll decline it and hire them.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Words of wisdom, don’t buy an ecodiesel.

1. Where in the warranty does it say they will provide a rental unless you have purchased an extended warranty.

2. The compensation for not getting good MPG due to having to drive a gas vehicle. Refer to #1, do they have to give a rental? You could always drive the ecodiesel…

Personally I would let them show their cards with an offer first and then counter offer. But they won’t.

I would have taken it to another dealer along time ago.

OP
OP
Bmcgill

Bmcgill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
#1 I did research the ecodiesel and was happy with what I read.
#2 as I stated I bought every warranty available and YES it included a loaner.

ALL of this has been coveted by the standard warranty which also provided for a loaner.
I took it to the only dealer around. The next closest is about 2 hours away. It had to be towed in.
This 2nd time it IS at a dealer in another state. So obviously at another dealer.
I don't see your input as advice so much as putting me down for my purchase.
The dealer has done everything they could. Both have. They both admit this is 3 separate system failures which is the mark of a lemon. The fact I have not had my vehicle for 4 months total and counting means they give me at a minimum a new truck. If not I will hire an attorney the way others have advised. In my state I have to arbitration first.
It is no fault of either dealer or frankly Ram. Each system that has failed is unrelated to the others. I simply got the truck built at the end of the shift on a holiday Friday or some other bad scenario.

squadco343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Thank you. Does that company work outside of FL? I spoke to a screener for a law group and he was very eager to have me sign with them. If I'm not satisfied with the settlement I'll decline it and hire them.
That I do not know. You can cannot them thru their website and they will answer you.