FINAL UPDATE: U61 recall work done, no more cruise control!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got mine done, just haven't had the chance to use it yet. I will try it out soon!!

OP
OP
TXCOMT

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Cruise Control works fine, before and after having the U61 recall done. I think your dealer is the problem.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking...I really hope the tech just fat-fingered something in his "haste" to complete the job. Still, I'm happy with the other part of the work I asked for; they replaced a cracked RamBox lid quite nicely and under warranty.

TXCOMT

GatheredEarth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
welp mine is going in tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up I will be sure to check it when I leave

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine works as expected after the recall repair. Got to be a freak occurrence with your install.

Unfortunately mistakes happen, it's all in how they manage it (doesn't make it any better when it happens specifically to you though).

OP
OP
TXCOMT

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I'm not worried about it, JPT, as I got it to work both yesterday and today, but only if I pressed the cruise on/off button a kabillion times. Never had to do that before, so I'm keeping my appointment at the dealership tomorrow. It needs to work as it did before!

What I am worried about is liking that red '19 Rebel (DT) that should be on that dealer's lot soon!

TXCOMT

Irongoats

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Taking mine in tonight we'll see.

OP
OP
TXCOMT

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, mysteriously, I got my cruise control to engage again, exactly a week to the day I got it back from the dealership! I was pretty pumped on my way into work just now, but when I backed into my parking space, the image from the rear-view camera was seriously distorted! It had been fine ever since I bought it...until today! Now I understand the two may not be related, but how to explain that everything worked perfectly on this truck until I took it in for recall work! I guess I'll keep my appointment today and have the shop look at two things now...or can they remove the update? I should've left well enough alone.

TXCOMT

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
how many zero's does that have? LOL kabillion?

Where does that rank with . . .

bazillion
dillion
gadzillion
gagillion
gajillion
godzillion
grillion
hojillion
jillion
kajillion
katrillion
killion
robillion
skillion
squillion
umptillion

Well, I'm not worried about it, JPT, as I got it to work both yesterday and today, but only if I pressed the cruise on/off button a kabillion times. Never had to do that before, so I'm keeping my appointment at the dealership tomorrow. It needs to work as it did before!

What I am worried about is liking that red '19 Rebel (DT) that should be on that dealer's lot soon!

TXCOMT

Last edited:
OP
OP
TXCOMT

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
how many zero's does that have? LOL kabillion?

Where does that rank with . . .

bazillion
dillion
gadzillion
gagillion
gajillion
godzillion
grillion
hojillion
jillion
kajillion
katrillion
killion
robillion
skillion
squillion
umptillion

All of the above simply translate into "more than necessary!"

TXCOMT

Shark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
My 2016 3500 has always had an intermittent cruise control engagement initial arming issue. Once it arms or shows ready no issues in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had that problem as well, it was a loose connection. They changed out the wiring harness and now it works every time.

Just got my U61 recall notice. It also mentions a U30, but has no further info. Anyone know what U30 is?

Ram Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
U61 update done on friday 7.20.2018. cruise control works just fine although now seeing issues on my radio using the steering wheel button to change stations, shows the station changing but it's not actually changing (same song continues playing). Coincidence?
2018 ram powerwagon

Ysook1212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2017 sport copper. Had mine done two weeks ago. A 3 1/2 hour software update. Didn't have a problem before and don't now.

One thing they did do/fix was the park issue. Now if I'm in drive, open the door and take foot off the brake, the trans will lock up.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have had this reflash done on a 2016 RAM, a 2017 Journey, a 2018 Challenger, a 2018 Charger and a 2017 RAM Crew. No problems before or after the flashing.

Ram-in-PA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So here I was ready to heap praise on my local Ram dealer for the quick U-61 recall service it did on my '16 Rebel, but now I must throw shade! Why? Because my cruise control doesn't seem to work!

Funny, since it worked perfectly before it went in! Now, sadly, it will not engage. Has anyone else had this happen after a dealer performed the U-61 recall?

I'm pretty steamed but I guess I should've checked it upon leaving the dealership...at least I could've turned around and handed the keys back the same day!

Ugh...will keep y'all posted!

TXCOMT

Had mine done last week, cruise still works fine the few times I have used it - So far so good for me.

jmlopez1969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had my Ram 1500 Texas Edition done a week ago. I used cruise control this weekend without any problems so far.

Outdoors76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welllllllll thanks to your post and my paranoia... I'll be putting my appointment on hold to get this corrected because I use my cruise control all the time!

well maybe you wont need the update then since you use it all the time when it gets stuck on you won't notice LOL

pjs386

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i had the U61 repair done with no issues afterward - took about an hour.

freelance

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got mine done this morning. I drive alot of flatland highway so I use it all the time. Everything is good. Cruise working as it should...no issues with radio controls on wheel or back-up camera.