FINAL UPDATE: U61 recall work done, no more cruise control!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TXCOMT

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad to hear from those who haven't had probs (and I'm just a little jealous)...my cruise still won't engage without repeated and random button pushing! Once it is ready, it works as it should, thankfully, so there's that; I'll mention the wiring harness (thanks, Shark!) to the SA when I take it in this week. Maybe that'll cure it...I'll let y'all know either way.

TXCOMT

Last edited:

Cruzrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
I've been trying to find time to go in about my cruise control because sometimes I can't turn it on unless I hold two buttons at the same time ( the set and resume) then it works for a while but eventually happens again but my trick works every time 2016 Ram 1500

Hemi Lonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got my recall notice in the mail today. I haven’t had any issues with my CC yet. I’ll be leaving the country for 6 months soon, so I think I’ll wait until I get back to get this looked at. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences with the update.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love how half the people don't even know if it works because they don't use it. But GOLLY YOU BET it MUST WORK IMMEDIATELY or else.

snoty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, mysteriously, I got my cruise control to engage again, exactly a week to the day I got it back from the dealership! I was pretty pumped on my way into work just now, but when I backed into my parking space, the image from the rear-view camera was seriously distorted! It had been fine ever since I bought it...until today! Now I understand the two may not be related, but how to explain that everything worked perfectly on this truck until I took it in for recall work! I guess I'll keep my appointment today and have the shop look at two things now...or can they remove the update? I should've left well enough alone.

TXCOMT

I haven't done the recall/update yet but I was having that issue with my backup camera. After taking it in a couple times (once they said it was a connector at the tailgate...) and it not getting fixed, I finally spoke with the service manager and he had the camera replaced. 2,000 miles later and I haven't had another issue with it.IMG_20180429_124812.jpg

Matt68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine '16 Bighorn has been spotty for a while even before the recall. Sometimes won't activate at all. Didn't bother making an appointment yet because I was in between oil changes but I figured I'd be getting a letter soon enough anyways. Finally came a week ago so I hope it works better after I take it in, otherwise I guess its a button issue in the steering wheel.

Irongoats

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Recall complied with it was working before that. Anyway, cruise still works and nothing else seems to be affected. I'll check it out again after I get back to the States next month.

proride

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad to hear from those who haven't had probs (and I'm just a little jealous)...my cruise still won't engage without repeated and random button pushing! Once it is ready, it works as it should, thankfully, so there's that; I'll mention the wiring harness (thanks, Shark!) to the SA when I take it in this week. Maybe that'll cure it...I'll let y'all know either way.

TXCOMT

I just got my notice for the cruise control issue. But I was having the same issue as you with the cruise not engaging all the time while pressing the button, so when I took it in for the other recall, I had them check the cruise control. They replaced the cruise control steering wheel switch, and it has been working perfectly since then, which is going on 2 months now. I'll be taking the truck back in for this latest recall and hope it comes out without any other issues. But so far, this dealership has been really good with both my Wrangler and the Ram.

OP
OP
TXCOMT

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't done the recall/update yet but I was having that issue with my backup camera. After taking it in a couple times (once they said it was a connector at the tailgate...) and it not getting fixed, I finally spoke with the service manager and he had the camera replaced. 2,000 miles later and I haven't had another issue with it.View attachment 135193

That's EXACTLY the picture I was getting after the recall work was done, snoty...thanks for the post! Mine has been so intermittent, though, I'm not sure mentioning it will do any good because with my luck, the tech won't be able to duplicate it. Naturally, it's been working fine for the last week.

Nonetheless, I'll tell the SA when the Reb goes back in for the cruise issue...fingers crossed both items will be fixed!

TXCOMT

snoty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's EXACTLY the picture I was getting after the recall work was done, snoty...thanks for the post! Mine has been so intermittent, though, I'm not sure mentioning it will do any good because with my luck, the tech won't be able to duplicate it. Naturally, it's been working fine for the last week.

Nonetheless, I'll tell the SA when the Reb goes back in for the cruise issue...fingers crossed both items will be fixed!

TXCOMT

Mine was intermittent as well, but sometimes would be stuck that way for a few days. I took a picture on my cell phone every time it would happen and I would bother them about it every time my truck was in for an oil change. Finally when a SA told me that it "was the nature of backup cameras" I blew up and went to the manager, who got the camera replaced.

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine was intermittent as well, but sometimes would be stuck that way for a few days. I took a picture on my cell phone every time it would happen and I would bother them about it every time my truck was in for an oil change. Finally when a SA told me that it "was the nature of backup cameras" I blew up and went to the manager, who got the camera replaced.

I think ya’ll are barking up the wrong tree.

The experience is you see on the camera is a result of a loose connection and/or wiring harness. The camera is typically replaced as a standard practice.

When it happens a loving bump with your hand typically will correct it in the short term.

Software wouldn’t cause the camera to work intermittently or respond to a physical bump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my recall notice yesterday, called dealership today and have appointment for Saturday morning. They are now treating the uo5, the auto park thing , as a recall. I explained that I was not sure if I wanted that one or not and was told if I didn't get it I would have to sign a waiver. So, I guess I'm gonna get u61 and u05. They said it takes about an hour to hour and half.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Had mine updated about two weeks ago. On my way home tonight, no cruise control... Dammit!

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had mine updated about two weeks ago. On my way home tonight, no cruise control... Dammit!

Now that's gonna really **** me off if I start haveing problems with mine after the recall. Up to this point mine has been flawless. I have reservations about getting this done in the first place but what ya gonna do.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeaaaah I’ll continue to wait lol I be damned if I get the update and lose my cruise control. Still haven’t done the airbag recall either and screw that autopark crap. Guess I’ll get spammed with recall papers for the next few months .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Had my U61 done earlier this week. In and out in 45 minutes and everything works fine.

Wayne Stella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Got the recall notice last week for mine. Set up the appointment to have it done as soon as they could get me in..........the week after next. Cruise has been working fine. Have only had the truck a few months and have been very happy with it. Now what I'm not happy with is the dealer saying I have to leave the truck for eight hours as that is what FCA required in case there is an issue. Eight hours? WTF!? For a recall of this magnitude I would think they would have an express lane set up. The dealer doesn't have a drive in fix it now bay. Lots of folks commented on here they had it done in less than an hour. I could set up an appointment where I can wait but the first one of those was a month down the road. Maybe I need to find another dealer.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Got the recall notice last week for mine. Set up the appointment to have it done as soon as they could get me in..........the week after next. Cruise has been working fine. Have only had the truck a few months and have been very happy with it. Now what I'm not happy with is the dealer saying I have to leave the truck for eight hours as that is what FCA required in case there is an issue. Eight hours? WTF!? For a recall of this magnitude I would think they would have an express lane set up. The dealer doesn't have a drive in fix it now bay. Lots of folks commented on here they had it done in less than an hour. I could set up an appointment where I can wait but the first one of those was a month down the road. Maybe I need to find another dealer.

Yah, my dealer specifically told me it would be about 45 minutes and it probably took less.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Careful, they might be installing the AutoPark update as well, that one can take up to 3-4 hours alone.

I personally do not want AutoPark added to my truck...I know someone in this thread (or another) mentioned that FCA is now treating AutoPark as a recall too, which means its "required" but I will avoid it as long as I can. Hopefully I can get the cruise update added at some point (although right now Im leary based on the reports of cruise not working shortly after)

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The U05 Autopark update really isn't a big deal. Most people don't drive around with the door open anyway and if you back up with it open (like I do sometimes jack knifing the trailer into it's parking spot) just keep your seat belt on or buckle it up behind you. It is a non issue.