Upgrade my Ram 1500 or buy Power Wagon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
I removed the wheel liners in the back and I’m running 1” extra bumpstop. Zero rubbing tucked to the max.

For the front the secret is caster and in my case pre-running style front bumper asides from the King COs set at around 2.75”. You want at least 4.8* caster on the driver side and 5-5.2* passenger. I haven’t shaved any metal in the front but removed a little plastic close to the wheel seams and had to massage the front fender lips towards the inside with a hammer. I’m still running the front plastic liners in the front. I didn’t have any rub with 4.8* caster driver and now I have little going in reverse while turning driver with 4.5* driver.

You’ll also have to adjust your King COs to about 2.5-2.75”. King OE comes setup at about 2” but I have more weight in my truck as well because of the rock sliders compared to a bone stock 1500 The bumper is also heavier than stock so in my case I have 11 turns in the driver side and 10 turns in the passenger side. Keeping one turn extra in the driver side to compensate for the gas tank.

Check my built thread I have pics and details with everything you need to know about the setup, off-road proof.
Thanks again for the detailed responses. Here's the specific Carli kit I am considering buying... https://carlisuspension.com/product...stems/dodge-1500-performance-2-5-system-2009/

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That would be a nice kit. You can do their UCAs or you can do a set of any other aftermarket UCA if you want to save a couple of buckos.

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
That would be a nice kit. You can do their UCAs or you can do a set of any other aftermarket UCA if you want to save a couple of buckos.
Did you check out the video of some guys Ram 1500 tearing across a bumpy track? Very cool footage and got me all excited to get this kit!

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you check out the video of some guys Ram 1500 tearing across a bumpy track? Very cool footage and got me all excited to get this kit!

I've seen the Carli videos like this one that talks about their King setup for the RAM 1500

and this one with a 1500 install and performing clips

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless you are planning on some serious off roading, the half ton will hold up and work just fine.

I have a ‘17 1500 big horn and a ‘16 power wagon. I drive the half ton every day for work, and use the power wagon more for a play/tow rig.

The half ton is leaps and bounds more comfortable for a daily driver. Gets damn near double the mpg’s. Feels like it has twice as much power (seriously). It just floats along effortlessly. But, I honestly contribute most of that to its 8 speed trans in comparison to the 6 speed in my power wagon. I have a feeling the new power wagon would be a much better driver with the 8 speed in it.

Now, offroad there is no comparison. Especially straight off the showroom floor. But with some mods the half ton will work great off road and hold up just fine to some pretty good abuse.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Alot of good info from everyone.

I say build up the 1500 and it'll suffice for most of what you're looking to do. I had my 1500 out on a trail ride with a bunch of full sizes and had zero issues keeping up with a power wagon. A good spotter, and line choice make up for lack of lockers. That being said, the PW is legit in its own right, but is it necessary to run out and buy one, I have to say no.

I see alot of guys on the trail in decked out builds that have no idea how to use 1/2 of what's on their rigs. The 1500 will be very well rounded for what you intend to do. You know best what your needs are. If the 1500 guys those needs and a few add ons make it more reliable and comfortable it's a win. If you feel you outgrow the 1500 and need a P.W to fill that void, than you'll know.

I personally think these 1500s are surprisingly capable. The front IFS is plenty beefy and there's plenty of us that put it through the paces. Personally, I was torn like you, and instead of dumping the 1500, I built a secondary rig for hard offroad exploring and keep the ram for the awesome pavement characteristics. I still hit fire roads, and go out in the ram, but beating the TAR out of a 3k jeep sits a whole lot better in my mind than a 25k truck.

Slap some good quality parts on that 1500 and have at it! If in another year you want a PW than go get one.

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7

I say build up the 1500 and it'll suffice for most of what you're looking to do. I had my 1500 out on a trail ride with a bunch of full sizes and had zero issues keeping up with a power wagon. A good spotter, and line choice make up for lack of lockers. That being said, the PW is legit in its own right, but is it necessary to run out and buy one, I have to say no.

I see alot of guys on the trail in decked out builds that have no idea how to use 1/2 of what's on their rigs. The 1500 will be very well rounded for what you intend to do. You know best what your needs are. If the 1500 guys those needs and a few add ons make it more reliable and comfortable it's a win. If you feel you outgrow the 1500 and need a P.W to fill that void, than you'll know.

I personally think these 1500s are surprisingly capable. The front IFS is plenty beefy and there's plenty of us that put it through the paces. Personally, I was torn like you, and instead of dumping the 1500, I built a secondary rig for hard offroad exploring and keep the ram for the awesome pavement characteristics. I still hit fire roads, and go out in the ram, but beating the TAR out of a 3k jeep sits a whole lot better in my mind than a 25k truck.

Slap some good quality parts on that 1500 and have at it! If in another year you want a PW than go get one.
Well said, and that's exactly what I am going to do! :)

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO

You had me at "3K jeep!"

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Well said, and that's exactly what I am going to do! :)
I did not see another 19 PW chime in but even if it is too late and you made up your mind, for the record, I built a 1500 and 12k later in mods I still bought a PW. What I built was still shy the front lockers, HP, torque, and the 410s that the Wagon has.

I think before you get too crazy with mods you should at the very least ride with someone wheelin’ their PW on the trails your interested in being able to do.
But also I get building your own. Whatever you decide, I’m sure you will still make it to the top of the mountain. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
I think for the kind of off roading I am likely to find nearby, building up my own Ram should suffice. Especially if I upgrade my front axles to the RCV Ultimate IFS CV Axles for Independent Front Suspension and install the Carli 2.5" King shocks performance kit with 2" lift. I'm not likely to do any rock crawling or super steep hill climbing. More fast bombing around rough back roads and a particular trail we have near my apartment that goes for miles and miles! I'll definitely be posting updates as my build comes along as I have quite a few upgrades and mods coming in the new year! :)

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I did not see another 19 PW chime in but even if it is too late and you made up your mind, for the record, I built a 1500 and 12k later in mods I still bought a PW. What I built was still shy the front lockers, HP, torque, and the 410s that the Wagon has.

I think before you get too crazy with mods you should at the very least ride with someone wheelin’ their PW on the trails your interested in being able to do.
But also I get building your own. Whatever you decide, I’m sure you will still make it to the top of the mountain. Good luck!
This is all very true. The only reason I suggested keeping the 1500 was his intended use wasn't in line with the power wagon. Granted you can make a PW go fast friendly, but even still it isn't in its wheel house. If you see alot of time in 4 low, locked, and disconnected crawling all over things, the PW is a no brainer (if it fits on the trails) But for what he constantly mentions I think the 1500 should suffice.

Though I have to ask 12k?! What did (or didnt) you have done to the 1500 lol.

I want to reiterate, alot of people run around in way overly decked out rigs for what they're actually doing. So I think building and growing into something or needing to change vehicles down the road as his need a progress is a bit more practical than jumping into something just because it sounds right for the job. Not knocking anyone, as I really have truck envy myself, I'd love to own ANY power wagon, but I see so many people think they need something, only to be on a trail that you can do with 1/4 the equipment and it makes me wonder.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
This is all very true. The only reason I suggested keeping the 1500 was his intended use wasn't in line with the power wagon. Granted you can make a PW go fast friendly, but even still it isn't in its wheel house. If you see alot of time in 4 low, locked, and disconnected crawling all over things, the PW is a no brainer (if it fits on the trails) But for what he constantly mentions I think the 1500 should suffice.

Though I have to ask 12k?! What did (or didnt) you have done to the 1500 lol.

I want to reiterate, alot of people run around in way overly decked out rigs for what they're actually doing. So I think building and growing into something or needing to change vehicles down the road as his need a progress is a bit more practical than jumping into something just because it sounds right for the job. Not knocking anyone, as I really have truck envy myself, I'd love to own ANY power wagon, but I see so many people think they need something, only to be on a trail that you can do with 1/4 the equipment and it makes me wonder.

Agreed! My Ram will no doubt be able to handle my current off road needs. Down the road, as my skills improve and I am able to locate some more challenging terrain, I will revisit the Power Wagon idea or even look into getting a Wrangler Rubicon.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I think for the kind of off roading I am likely to find nearby, building up my own Ram should suffice. Especially if I upgrade my front axles to the RCV Ultimate IFS CV Axles for Independent Front Suspension and install the Carli 2.5" King shocks performance kit with 2" lift. I'm not likely to do any rock crawling or super steep hill climbing. More fast bombing around rough back roads and a particular trail we have near my apartment that goes for miles and miles! I'll definitely be posting updates as my build comes along as I have quite a few upgrades and mods coming in the new year! :)
Those RCVs are sick, but ubless you find yourself breaking cvs I wouldn't bother. Cv joints are extremely strong, when used within their limitations. None of the engineers systems will really put your suspension at angles extreme enough that I foresee that being an issue. Just don't mash the gas in 4lo with your wheel full turn in the rocks and you'll be ok. The tech has come a long way from the ifs of the 90s and 2000s that gave it such a bad name.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Agreed! My Ram will no doubt be able to handle my current off road needs. Down the road, as my skills improve and I am able to locate some more challenging terrain, I will revisit the Power Wagon idea or even look into getting a Wrangler Rubicon.
Plus they'll be a freaking ton of availbe options. Ford Tremor and Raptor, Rubicon Jeep JL and JT as well as P.W models for years. So many viable options to choose from!

Excited to see your build start.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my opinion if I wanted a true rock crawler I’d be getting a wrangler to start. The power wagon is amazing for a full-size pickup. It’s top of that class. But I think the wheelbase and just the overall size and weight will limit you a little if you want a truly unstoppable off-road monster than won’t get hung up on any trails.

Then keep the 1500 for truck duties?

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
In my opinion if I wanted a true rock crawler I’d be getting a wrangler to start. The power wagon is amazing for a full-size pickup. It’s top of that class. But I think the wheelbase and just the overall size and weight will limit you a little if you want a truly unstoppable off-road monster than won’t get hung up on any trails.

Then keep the 1500 for truck duties?
Agreed. I took a few Wranglers out for a test drive and I HATED the way they ride on the road! My truck will be awesome with the Carli Kings setup! both on and off road! :)

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unrelated question.....

Has anyone really put the new Gladiator Rubicons through their paces?

I don’t like the look of them from the factory but think they look nice with a little lift and slightly bigger tires...