upgrade the radio on a 2018ram 1500 express

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just Bought a 2018 Ram. So far I like everything except the Radio. It has a Ra2 Radio which doesnt have the apple carplay that I am used to. I am used to using the screen as a gps thru my phone. What is the best upgrade of a radio I can get for this vehicle? I went on Infotainments website and they want 2000.00 for a uas Radio. There has got to be something cheaper...

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I bought my current UAS from a salvage yard for $300. Another $300 (shouldn't be more) and you can get the parts you need to do it yourself.

Granted, it will be hard (not impossible) to find one that cheap, but you can find them easily for sub $500 on Car-Part.com.

Here's the thread you need to get started...
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=17770&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced my ra2 with a pioneer 4500NEX. It has wireless CarPlay and android auto. I feel it’s far superior to any oem radio you can put in it.

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

OP
OP
S

Steve King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with a decently inexpensive aftermarket head unit and never looked back. With the Express model myself, I wasn't worried about losing the few customization options I had in my RA2. Well worth it in my opinion for the Apple Carplay and much better sound quality.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV1000/Sony-XAV-AX1000.html
What did you lose as far as customization goes? Did you have to get a custom bezel to install?

14Deebo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What did you lose as far as customization goes? Did you have to get a custom bezel to install?
I just lost the ability to control the lights with the keyfob when i lock the truck, programming different trailer preferences for the trailer brake, if the lights stay on after I lock the truck, if the lights come on when I unlock the truck. Little things like that, basically any "settings" for the truck that were in the OEM radio. I just set them how I wanted before I pulled the stock radio out and never looked back.

I did have to get an aftermarket mounting bracket, but I did not replace the bezel.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120956518B/Metra-95-6518B-Dash-Kit.html

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just lost the ability to control the lights with the keyfob when i lock the truck, programming different trailer preferences for the trailer brake, if the lights stay on after I lock the truck, if the lights come on when I unlock the truck. Little things like that, basically any "settings" for the truck that were in the OEM radio. I just set them how I wanted before I pulled the stock radio out and never looked back.

I did have to get an aftermarket mounting bracket, but I did not replace the bezel.

You "might" get all that back with your new cluster if your BCM is set to display that in the cluster.

14Deebo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You "might" get all that back with your new cluster if your BCM is set to display that in the cluster.

That would be cool, but I don't even care tbh. The ability to use Car Play, have Nav, and the much better sound quality makes that a non issue for me.

I just swapped out all my door and dash speakers for a Kenwood Exelon component system which just makes me care even less about those options. It sounds sooo good. :)

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I didn’t loose that with mine. Did you get the idata modules?

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

14Deebo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn’t loose that with mine. Did you get the idata modules?

No, because the headunit I went with wasn’t Uconnect compatible. No reason for the iData module if the hu doesn’t support it. It’s fine with me though, I get way more out of the headunit than whatever few features the OEM allowed me to change.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would go aftermarket.just to have android auto the uaq/uas isn't that great otherwise.to me they don't sound as good as an older Harmon ra4.I have a factory uaq I am debating going aftermarket head unit or sound processor right now.Harmon sounds great but I am kinda liking android auto the last month or so.

Jtblackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could always just prop your phone up in your cluster with the map up, thats what ive been doing since day one

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You could always just prop your phone up in your cluster with the map up, thats what ive been doing since day one
Then how do you monitor your tire pressures? [emoji6]

Jtblackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Then how do you monitor your tire pressures? [emoji6]

Lol i push it all the way to the lefthand side of the cluster, cant see my rpms but everything else is just right. its a good way to watch a football game if you happen to be on the road

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Lol i push it all the way to the lefthand side of the cluster, cant see my rpms but everything else is just right. its a good way to watch a football game if you happen to be on the road
This is how I watch...f2f8afa14b79d3ac59a872613334882d.jpg

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I bought my current UAS from a salvage yard for $300. Another $300 (shouldn't be more) and you can get the parts you need to do it yourself.

Granted, it will be hard (not impossible) to find one that cheap, but you can find them easily for sub $500 on Car-Part.com.

Here's the thread you need to get started...
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=17770&share_type=t&link_source=app

I haven't been able to find a UAS for under $900 on car parts. The salvage yards are nuts with the prices they are asking. A few cheaper but they are scratched up.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I haven't been able to find a UAS for under $900 on car parts. The salvage yards are nuts with the prices they are asking. A few cheaper but they are scratched up.
$900?!!! I just checked, they're crazy. They're pushing new part prices on some of them. I did find one listed at $400 if you're interested.

kellgp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree $900 is crazy. I just bought a UAS with a near perfect screen on Car-part for $400 on Monday. I also know for a fact that there was at least one other available for the same price earlier in the week. Make sure you select 2019 on the year. For the part you can search under TV screen or CD player/Radio. After you hit search on the next screen select the first one (similar models) and change the range to 2018-2019. You will get a ton of results on CD player/Radio and much fewer with TV screen that you have to sort through (all radio models, cd players, amp, Canadian, etc., classic and new body style). Unfortunately a lot of salvage yards aren't the most accurate/detailed about inventorying their parts, so you have to search through all the listings and make phone calls to find one.

Last edited:

mynameisante

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Buy an RA3/RA4 from the classifieds here (fairly priced), buy a bezel here or on ebay (make sure you get the correct one for single or dual zone), and (if applicable) the 7 speed fan module and wiring harness (module ebay, harness from a user on here, I forgot his name)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk