Upgrade to Uconnect 12 with surround view

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thomas Kunau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
When I bought my truck a few months ago I got everything I wanted except for the Uconnect 12 and surround view. Dealer stock was limited for a 2500 crew cab long bed diesel so I settled for the 8” model. I would really like to put the 12” setup and surround view.

has anyone successfully done this.

I figure I need
The screen and bezel
New or reprogrammed modules
Front camera
Mirrors with cameras

my current rig - 2020 ram 2500 crew cab long bed Laramie diesel

thanks!

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
You also need someone willing to buy the 8" because they have the base 4.5".......[emoji6]

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I can't find the post, but someone on another forum added surround view cameras to his truck and it cost him well over $2000. There are cameras, mirrors, wiring harnesses, control module and dealer programming needed.

I'd think to add the 12" and surround you're looking at well over $4k.

OP
OP
T

Thomas Kunau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The functionality of it is worth the money it will cost just don’t know where to start. From my understanding the modules are vin specific but I have seen some that allow programming via laptop. Not sure to what degree they are successful.

I can find the mirrors, front camera, and cables but the screen, bezel, harnesses and modules are tougher.

hoping someone has some experience here

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When I bought my truck a few months ago I got everything I wanted except for the Uconnect 12 and surround view. Dealer stock was limited for a 2500 crew cab long bed diesel so I settled for the 8” model. I would really like to put the 12” setup and surround view.

has anyone successfully done this.

I figure I need
The screen and bezel
New or reprogrammed modules
Front camera
Mirrors with cameras

my current rig - 2020 ram 2500 crew cab long bed Laramie diesel

thanks!
Yes, it’s been done by several people. For the part numbers, it’ll be easier to get the VIN of a truck the same color as yours that has the surround view and 12” screen, and use it for the parts department to look up. Here’s everything you would need.
For the radio:
-12” screen- specific to a diesel and depends on whether or not you have lane keep assist.
-12” radio module
-12” radio center stack- various colors, so find a truck with the color you want
-LVDS cable that connects the radio module to the screen
-Small custom conversion harness
-If you don’t have auto climate controls, you’ll have to add the cabin temp sensor, change out the sun sensor, and need a custom harness for adding the cabin temp sensor. This is all necessary because the 12” radio is not capable of manual temp controls.

For the surround view system:
-CVPM (central vision processing module)
-Custom harness for adding the CVPM
-New tailgate handle and rear camera (the rear camera you currently have is not compatible with surround view, and the new camera is bigger and requires a different tailgate handle)
-Front camera (this will be the same part number as the new rear camera)
-RAM emblem for front grille that houses the front camera
-New grille specific to the RAM emblem for front camera
-Mirrors with cameras
-CHMSL with cargo camera (if you already have the cargo camera, you will need to replace the whole CHMSL with cargo camera specific to surround view- same situation as the tailgate handle)
-Various lengths of female to female fakra z coax cables for connecting cameras to CVPM (available on Amazon)

For the new mirrors, if you don’t currently have power folding mirrors, you will need different door modules, and a different driver side master door switch. The new mirrors will have power convex mirrors. If you want those to work, you will need the power convex mirror switch, and a custom harness to connect the switch to the door module.
Lastly, you’ll need alfaOBD to enable all these features.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Can you get surround on a 2500? IF yes, with the used prices so high you might be better selling and getting a truck with one.

OP
OP
T

Thomas Kunau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Can you get surround on a 2500? IF yes, with the used prices so high you might be better selling and getting a truck with one.
I love everything about this truck. Just want that one additional item. Also I looked and I cannot find anything but a work truck in a 2500 crew cab long bed diesel around here

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would love to learn how!
12” screen for diesel truck, no lane keep assist button- $505 new
12” radio module- $670 new
Center dash bezel for 12” screen- this will vary depending on what color, but standard black- $305 new
LVDS cable- $35
Conversion harness- $40
Full AlfaOBD setup to make the settings changes (software, bypass, and OBDLink LX)- $160

OP
OP
T

Thomas Kunau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
12” screen for diesel truck, no lane keep assist button- $505 new
12” radio module- $670 new
Center dash bezel for 12” screen- this will vary depending on what color, but standard black- $305 new
LVDS cable- $35
Conversion harness- $40
Full AlfaOBD setup to make the settings changes (software, bypass, and OBDLink LX)- $160
Any links to places for the parts or just search online?

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I love everything about this truck. Just want that one additional item. Also I looked and I cannot find anything but a work truck in a 2500 crew cab long bed diesel around here
Fair enough :cheers:

Coastal Cap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm kind of in the same boat as OP which lead me to the forum. Just purchased a 2021 with everything we wanted minus the surround view, we did get the 12" screen however.

Was curious if you ever made this happen?

Philipjames6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Laramie with the 12" screen, cameras in the mirrors already, and the mirror cam. What do I need to do to get the surround view? It sounds like I just need the harness, the rear tailgate camera and replace the bed light with the camera in it?

What is needed to in terms of software flash?