Upgrading Coil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I remember reading threads a few years ago about not needing the MSD ignition coils in the pre 20xx trucks because upgrading to the 20xx trucks the coil packs output more. I can’t find that thread and since my 2012 recently turned 60k I want to change/ upgrade the coil packs. I want to say the upgraded coils were the 2015+ trucks but wanted to clarify before I place an order.
Any cons to running the MSD vs the oem.
I have no power adders, just the basics, custom tune, shorty headers, cai, efan, 180 stat

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I remember reading threads a few years ago about not needing the MSD ignition coils in the pre 20xx trucks because upgrading to the 20xx trucks the coil packs output more. I can’t find that thread and since my 2012 recently turned 60k I want to change/ upgrade the coil packs. I want to say the upgraded coils were the 2015+ trucks but wanted to clarify before I place an order.
Any cons to running the MSD vs the oem.
I have no power adders, just the basics, custom tune, shorty headers, cai, efan, 180 stat
The new coils from the dealer are the upgraded coils.The coils were upgraded in late 2013 when they started using irridium plugs.The MSD coils aren't as good as the factory coils,the factory coils are good to over 1100 horsepower

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im glad I have a 2012, I can run my cheap Champions 446 ;) it would be a downgrade to swap them out... lol.

Factory coil pack are perfectly fine. Trust me I would of swapped them out if they weren't lol...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Im glad I have a 2012, I can run my cheap Champions 446 ;) it would be a downgrade to swap them out... lol.

Factory coil pack are perfectly fine. Trust me I would of swapped them out if they weren't lol...
Copper plugs are actually a better plug then irridium plugs when it comes to making horsepower ,lol. I run nothing but copper plugs in both the wifes 6.4 Challenger and the truck

OP
OP
Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Copper plugs are actually a better plug then irridium plugs when it comes to making horsepower ,lol. I run nothing but copper plugs in both the wifes 6.4 Challenger and the truck
Do you recommend sticking with an oem coil for 2012?

OP
OP
Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
The new coils from the dealer are the upgraded coils.The coils were upgraded in late 2013 when they started using irridium plugs.The MSD coils aren't as good as the factory coils,the factory coils are good to over 1100 horsepower
Thank you. So I want coils from 2014+

OP
OP
Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
As far as i know,if you buy a new Mopar coil now,it's automatically the newer upgraded coil.Doesn't hurt to tell whoever you're buying them from,that you want coils for a 2015 though
Thank you I’ll call the dealer using a vin from one of our customers trucks I’m pretty sure I have an 18 there

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You Can still run copper on the newer trucks. They just don’t come that way for maintenance reasons. I may swap mine to copper and just swap every 30,000 instead because copper hold spark better. Iridium just last longer because it’s a harder metal but has higher resistance than copper so takes more energy to spark
Edit: apparently the iridium fine point tip is there to help promote spark which actually makes them near equal to copper plugs. That’s interesting. Guess I’ll keep my iridium’s.

OP
OP
Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You Can still run copper on the newer trucks. They just don’t come that way for maintenance reasons. I may swap mine to copper and just swap every 30,000 instead because copper hold spark better. Iridium just last longer because it’s a harder metal but has higher resistance than copper so takes more energy to spark
Edit: apparently the iridium fine point tip is there to help promote spark which actually makes them near equal to copper plugs. That’s interesting. Guess I’ll keep my iridium’s.
A bolt on truck won't notice much differance with copper plugs,it's not till you start spraying them with nitrous or are running 7+lbs of boost that you should be swapping to copper plugs Khris,but a header/cam/intake / basically a bolt-on style truck will be good with irridiums

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That just confirms the dealer gets it right. Unfortunately my account with the dealer is better pricing otherwise I’d be ordering from Benny @AllMoparParts.com
I know. Mines a 17 which is why I offered.
A bolt on truck won't notice much differance with copper plugs,it's not till you start spraying them with nitrous or are running 7+lbs of boost that you should be swapping to copper plugs Khris,but a header/cam/intake / basically a bolt-on style truck will be good with irridiums
Good point. I don’t plan on going forced induction on this engine anyways. May after I do the bge swap but that won’t be for a long time anyways.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I rather change cheap plugs out every 2 years, specially in the rust belt up here. Literally take an hour to change them out so I dont see any reason to use iridium.

OP
OP
Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I rather change cheap plugs out every 2 years, specially in the rust belt up here. Literally take an hour to change them out so I dont see any reason to use iridium.
I just want to change my coils my plugs are good. Truck just turned 60k but is 10 years old so I feel better replacing all 8 coils.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My understanding is coils either work or they dont. So Ill change mine out when they crap out. I just keep 1 spare on hand for diagnostics purposes.

I might also be out to lunch. So much info gets posted all the time its hard to keep track.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
My understanding is coils either work or they dont. So Ill change mine out when they crap out. I just keep 1 spare on hand for diagnostics purposes.

I might also be out to lunch. So much info gets posted all the time its hard to keep track.
I’m a maintenance **** many people don’t understand why I do what I do. Most think I’m wierd for religiously flushing my brake fluid.

I’ll have 8 working spares for diagnostic purposes

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
More of a concern with old trucks (old in years) is the degrading of the plug and coil wires over time. Easy to check them out with a cheap VOM as there is a Ohms spec that they need to meet. Too much resistance from a single one of the wires will cause problems with electronic ignitions.

A higher output coil may compensate for a time but better to deal with the problem at its source.