Upgrading UConnect from RA3 to RA4 in 2015 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txwharfrat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have been told by Dodge, Unconnect, and my local dealership that this isn't possible, but I honestly don't believe it. My Ram 1500 is a 2015 and came equipped with the UConnect 8.4 RA3 version. However, in order to use Apple CarPlay (which is my end goal), I need to install the RA4 version of UConnect.

The dealership said they could sell me a $2600 UConnect RA4 system and charge to install it, but they couldn't guarantee that it would function.

This can't be that impossible. I have the 8.4 size screen and unit, so it's not like I'm trying to go from 5 up to 8.4. I just want to upgrade to the RA4 system. Is the wiring harnessing that different to where it wouldn't function? Is there way to purchase an RA4 UConnect system aftermarket and install it myself? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Bottom Line: I want to use my iPhone with the Apple CarPlay and can't do that in my 2015 Dodge Ram 1500. I would rather pay to upgrade the UConnect system to be able to do this rather than buy a new truck.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
OP
OP
T

txwharfrat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This thread has tons of info on radio upgrades. Also if you are just after NAV, there is a company on ebay UK that sells the codes to activate RA3 NAV for around $275. Also, PM MPGrimm2, he is awesome with helping folks on radio upgrades.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/diy-2013-2017-ra3-ra4-8-4-radio-upgrade-hvac-conversion.135601/

RA3 NAV Codes link
https://m.ebay.com/itm/2018-USA-CAN...4AN-JEEP-RAM-/223270590669?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

Thanks. I am more interested in the safe operation of the Apple CarPlay for texting/phone use and VERY interested in using Waze instead of the Dodge NAV.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The RA4 does not support CarPlay. The UAQ and UAS radio support Carplay. Since you don't want RAM NAV then I would go with a UAS. These radios are AKA Uconnect 4C's.