Upload your cold start/idle and hot idle videos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UGqXXD62VSUowjBV7

Im going to use that link as an album for the cold start videos I make. Started with this morning at 39 degrees, truck sat from about 8PM to 7:30AM this morning

Doesnt sound horrible, but you can kinda hear a "train" like tone, like a CHUGga, CHUGga, CHUGga....

I dont think its the engine as much as it is the exhaust but it is what bothers me.

I think u have an exhaust leaks some where . Have u checked your manifold Bolts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think u have an exhaust leaks some where . Have u checked your manifold Bolts?

At 7K miles I would hope not!

But...I havent put a ratchet on them. I have grabbed the rear most on driver and passenger side, along with tugging at the heat shields and everything is solid. I kinda wish it was as easy as that but again the common symptoms of manifold leak dont seem to be there.

Ive listened to manifold leak videos as well and my truck doesnt seem as loud. Plus the "chugga chugga chugga" noise I mentioned happens at all temperatures, not just before the engine is warm. I kinda wonder if it has something to do with how the exhaust is mounted....like is there tension on some joint (maybe where the y-pipe connects to the straight pipe). Every other vehicle Ive owned has a short flex section inline to help with stuff like that, of course the RAM does not.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
This is a video of my 2009 Ram. One cold start in the morning from the cab and another in the afternoon from the outside. You can hear my broken exhaust manifold bolts leaking pretty good in the outside one.

Outside:

Inside:

Gotta upload the videos of my 2014 running redline 5w-30.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same piston slap noise ... since 14k miles and at 22k now no change ... goes away when warm so I guess I shouldn’t be concerned . Funny my trucks valve train was loud as hell on amsoil! I dumped it after 1000 miles .... redline is much quieter except for the piston slap .

Thanks for the vids! Hopefully this thread helps people compare and contrast a bit.

This thread is fantastic idea! I wish there was something like this back when I was bringing my truck to the dealer for ticking noises so that I had something to compare it to. Looking forward to seeing more videos of people trucks.

Yeah mines been making that piston slap noise for close to 35k now (49k on the truck currently) and none of my UOAs show high aluminum levels. So I just ignore it at this point. Seriously though, the 5.7 Hemi is the the most finicky engine about oil I've ever had. My wife's 3.6 Grand Cherokee runs whisper quiet of Amsoil SS...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have to ask, what's the big deal about a cold start with a gasser? let alone it's not even Sub-Zero temps yet?

you can kinda hear a "train" like tone, like a CHUGga, CHUGga, CHUGga....
If you want to hear a cold start CHUGa, CHUGa..

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have to ask, what's the big deal about a cold start with a gasser? let alone it's not even Sub-Zero temps yet?

Except mine isn't a diesel so there should be no chugging :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Many people claim a hemi tick of sorts on start up or knocks , so this allows us to be able to compare and contrast . Cold starts/idles , hot idles all are welcome.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My turn...
Sorry about the dark cold start video, 5am b4 work
2017 5.7 39k miles, pup 5-30 with fram synthetic filter @ 2500 away from next change

Last edited: