Upper bumper/fascia paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krawfish

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm considering paint matching my front and rear bumpers. They're currently chrome, so I'm going to have them stripped of the chrome and powder coated. How is the upper bumper typically paint matched since it is not metal, rather a lightly textured plastic? Is it possible to get a perfectly smooth paint job on this piece or do they make a variant that's ready for paint?

I may be overthinking this, if it can just be painted as is, then great lol.4edc89eb3b6bec41fb6e49a48bc29d32.jpg

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
I figure you could paint that piece. Sanding it down might help with adhesion and making a smoother finish.

Over the summer I had a similar idea, I was gonna get both my bumpers bedlined. I ended up buying a primed sport bumper cover off amazon for like $150 or so and got that paint matched. Bumper cover was just about a bolt on swap lol

This is the regular bumper with plastidip on it. Bumpers were both painted really crappily before I bought it

IMG_1025.JPG

Then this is with a sport bumper cover (and a paint matched grill as well lol)

IMG_0981.jpg

OP
OP
Krawfish

Krawfish

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I figure you could paint that piece. Sanding it down might help with adhesion and making a smoother finish.

Over the summer I had a similar idea, I was gonna get both my bumpers bedlined. I ended up buying a primed sport bumper cover off amazon for like $150 or so and got that paint matched. Bumper cover was just about a bolt on swap lol

This is the regular bumper with plastidip on it. Bumpers were both painted really crappily before I bought it

View attachment 195024

Then this is with a sport bumper cover (and a paint matched grill as well lol)

View attachment 195025
I had no idea the sport bumper was just a snap on cover. That's definitely the route I'm going. Looks good, and thanks!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Hey no problem! I say "just about a bolt on" because its a little more than just slapping it on there lmao. My memory is kinda fuzzy on how long it took me, but it was a couple hours at the most. I actually ended up taking the bumper off to clean up on those parts behind the bumper, but I don't think it's required to strap on the cover at all.

In the wheel wells, there's 2 bolts that go through the bumper. The top bolt hole will match up on the bumper and bumper cover, but the bottom bolt holes do not. I had to drill a hole in the metal bumper on each side to send the bottom bolts through. Also, you have to take off the top black plastic piece which if I remember was 4 bolts. and some of those janky "screw clips" in the middle.

After all that, just put the cover on with the 4 bolts. Then if you want, you can reuse some of those "janky screw clips" to attach the bumper cover to the bumper in a few of the holes that line up. I didn't do that because I broke a lot of those clips when taking them out, and the ones I didn't break just wouldn't work for me. It holds on snug even with just those 4 bolts on the sides.

I used this video as a base. The bugs in the background screech so loud in the video its hard to understand him, but it helped me out a lot

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956