Upper control arms needed with bils set at 2.8?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you have bilsteins set at 2.8 and have had no issues, leave a comment. Had a guy trying to argue and say anything above 2.1 needs different upper control arms, because geometry is incorrect. Thanks.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
on a 2010 its not needed. in 2013 they tweaked the design of the upper control arm and its not as robust as the previous ones.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the research and found (as previously described) that 13’ and up did a UCA change. So on my 14’ I opted for the Mevotechs for peace of mind when I did the Bilsteins at 2.8

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if you have bilsteins set at 2.8 and have had no issues, leave a comment. Had a guy trying to argue and say anything above 2.1 needs different upper control arms. Thanks.

Are you asking about Bilsteins added to your lift or just Bilsteins as a level kit only?

With Bilsteins only as a level kit you don't need them (but it wouldn't hurt anything).

With Bilsteins added to a 6" lift (not 4"), I think its a good idea to replace the UCA with one that corrects the geometry. All the 6" kits are really just 4" kits with a taller strut spacer and a few different brackets. Therefore your 6" kit has already increased your control arm angle some without the Bilsteins. When you add Bilsteins at +2" your really 4" over what it would be with a 4" kit.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2013+ it is recommended to upgrade the UCA's as the stock ones are a little weak and cant handle the extra angle.

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you asking about Bilsteins added to your lift or just Bilsteins as a level kit only?

With Bilsteins only as a level kit you don't need them (but it wouldn't hurt anything).

With Bilsteins added to a 6" lift (not 4"), I think its a good idea to replace the UCA with one that corrects the geometry. All the 6" kits are really just 4" kits with a taller strut spacer and a few different brackets. Therefore your 6" kit has already increased your control arm angle some without the Bilsteins. When you add Bilsteins at +2" your really 4" over what it would be with a 4" kit.

No I’m asking for guys that just have just bilsteins set at 2.8 with no additional lift. Personally, I have had zero problems with my 6” RC lift with my bilsteins set at 2.8”. I just had it aligned last week.
Guy is simply trying to say that with just bilsteins set above 2.1” (no lift) you will HAVE to buy corrected upper control arms, because geometry will be off.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mevotechs are same as stock, and just saw on here the other day someone popped one pretty good.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guy is simply trying to say that with just bilsteins set above 2.1” (no lift) you will HAVE to buy corrected upper control arms, because geometry will be off.

Did he hear that from 4wheelparts?...they won’t install Bils on a Ram without changing the UCAs

You don’t need new arms of any kind when just doing a level with bilsteins or any lift, however as others stated above, some people like to upgrade them while it’s all torn apart like myself, I went with Zone UCAs over the stockers

766D2FFD-35FA-4A9E-BDBB-FA90D76D4CD0.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did he hear that from 4wheelparts?...they won’t install Bils on a Ram without changing the UCAs

You don’t need new arms of any kind when just doing a level with bilsteins or any lift, however as others stated above, some people like to upgrade them while it’s all torn apart like myself, I went with Zone UCAs over the stockers

View attachment 142399
What’s funny, is my ram has 120,000 miles on the stock upper control arms with a 6” lift and bilsteins at 2.8”
Haven’t had any problems. When I had it aligned last week, guy said angle is fine. When my arms do wear out, I will either fab up a set, or buy some.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A little weak yes I agree, but geometry wise no. Many here have had zero issues with bilsteins set at 2.8”

Wonder how many of them are street driven only vs off roaded often. On the street its not as much of an issue. Its when you go full drop(or close to it) the geometry becomes more of an issue. So when you articulating, flexing, etc... it becomes a bigger problem

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What’s funny, is my ram has 120,000 miles on the stock upper control arms with a 6” lift and bilsteins at 2.8”
Haven’t had any problems. When I had it aligned last week, guy said angle is fine. When my arms do wear out, I will either fab up a set, or buy some.

What year is ur truck Vet?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed my UCA's at only 2", needed ot not needed, i run 5* caster with zero camber.

Can you guys with the 6” lifts post your alignment sheets? Maybe you guys don’t need ucas because there is more correctiion built into into your aftermarket hub knuckles ? I’ve never lifted anything with ifs past 2” that didn’t need ucas, sure most things can run with 2-3* of caster, but tipically camber max out to almost where the tires don’t wear exactly properly, or the steering gets a bit too nervous, and for the most part, your suspension is stiff as the ucas can’t move as designed when the shocks cycle, and they bind/ break.

hemipwrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I’ve had mine set at 2.1 for about 4 years and just about a year ago set it to 2.8 and have no issues so far. Doesn’t go off-roading at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found this in the other forum, dude listed signature is : 2014 RAM 1500 4x4 Crew cab, bilstein 5100's at 2.1, stock ucas, Caster goes down to the min with 2.1lift, and actually below min on th left side, and wouldn’t he want camber on the left closer to flat 0?
What would be the numbers with the billies at 2.8 ?, and what are you guys with 6” getting for alignment?
DodgeAllignmentsm.jpg[/QUOTE]

Last edited: