Upper Radiator Hose Replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cruzman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is on my 2013 ram 2500 with 6.7 cummins. For month's I have been looking for a coolant leak. The dealer has looked a time or too as well. (very minor) but I could smell coolant all of the time. I had pretty much decided this was an issue with the EGR cooler which was replace less than a year ago. (which is still under warrant) so I asked them to check it out. They came back and said they see that the upper rad hose has a leak and needed to be replace. (I should have asked how much).... Parts were about $150 and labor was 2.5 hours at $130 per hour. My question is, "is it really a 2.5 hour job to change a radiator hose?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
$150 for the hose? Is it the one with a "Y" built into it? If not that seems awfully high. Also, 2.5 hours for a 30 minute job also seems high. $475 for the whole job seems quite excessive.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Also, 2.5 hours for a 30 minute job also seems high. $475 for the whole job seems quite excessive.

Bleeding all the air out of the system can be a time consuming PITA. I agree $475 sounds like a lot of money for that but that's pretty much everything with vehicles these days unfortunately.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
This is on my 2013 ram 2500 with 6.7 cummins. For month's I have been looking for a coolant leak. The dealer has looked a time or too as well. (very minor) but I could smell coolant all of the time. I had pretty much decided this was an issue with the EGR cooler which was replace less than a year ago. (which is still under warrant) so I asked them to check it out. They came back and said they see that the upper rad hose has a leak and needed to be replace. (I should have asked how much).... Parts were about $150 and labor was 2.5 hours at $130 per hour. My question is, "is it really a 2.5 hour job to change a radiator hose?
ya wont do dealer that's just nuts there sure love it when u walk away its $$$$$$ time for them ! you should call mopar ask if thats cover under powertrain warranty ok who know s then be maybe 100.00 bill its part of the engine right ?

OP
OP
C

Cruzman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
$150 for the hose? Is it the one with a "Y" built into it? If not that seems awfully high. Also, 2.5 hours for a 30 minute job also seems high. $475 for the whole job seems quite excessive.
Yes it is the one with the Y connector built into it. (I have not looked to see where that extra connection goes.

OP
OP
C

Cruzman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I got curious and got under the hood. I think I'm wrong about what they did. I was thinking they replaced all of the upper hoses the one that has the Y pipe and the one that comes off of the Y and goes to a second radiator. (I had no idea that extra radiator existed). Looking at the hose that goes to the aux radiator it looks old. so I check the part number and it was just the upper radiator hose the on the lays across the front of the engine and is not only easy to get to but doesn't require any disassembly. I think I could have done this in about 30 minutes. As for burping the coolant. It never gets done correctly, but could that take 1.5 hours? I figure that should take less than 30 minutes. Anyway they also said they couldn't clean all of the radiator fluid off so they sent the truck to the detail shop to have that done. (The new hose looks clean)... I'm feeling like a sucker and will be calling the dealer back.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
ya wont do dealer that's just nuts there sure love it when u walk away its $$$$$$ time for them ! you should call mopar ask if thats cover under powertrain warranty ok who know s then be maybe 100.00 bill its part of the engine right ?

say whaaaat?

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just getting the truck on the lift and coolant drained would be close to 30min. if the hose is easy to acess your looking at another 30min minimum to change it and fill the system back up using the recomended method with airlift vaccum tool. then youll want to run the engine until thermo opens and be sure everything works fine. a hack cutting corners and rushing maybe could do it in 30min