URGENT help needed. Key fob stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Hoping I can get some help here.

Last night was really cold for us in Texas. Nothing like yall up north, but still.

So I go out to start the truck, nothing. Key fob wont unlock, so I use the key.

I stuck the key fob in the ignition, and nothing happened. Just the red immobilizer light is on.

I have been charging the battery. But the key fob is stuck between OFF and ACC. It wont come out. I can turn it to ON and Start. Although nothing happens.

Even stranger is. There is a damn ticking noise, as in a clock or bomb ticking. Everytime I hear a tick, I see all the needles for the gauges move ever so slightly

Any tips?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Also uploading a video to youtube to see if it helps

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Ok here is the youtube video I made showing what's happening

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally I would try disconnecting the battery for a bit and see if it comes out. I dont think anything electronic keeps it in there, so its possible the fob and/or the "key" clinder are worn enough that they arent quite lining up and letting go.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Ok here is the youtube video I made showing what's happening

**** that’s weird

The Blue Mule

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Move the gear shifter into gear and back into park a couple times. But with a dead battery it still might not come out

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
**** that’s weird

The Blue Mule
Move the gear shifter into gear and back into park a couple times. But with a dead battery it still might not come out

Ok I got the key fob out by force lol. Since it is just held in by those two tabs.

Truck wont go into gear though. Because the immobilizer light is on. I guess it thinks someone is stealing it lol.

I will disconnect the battery for a while. So what happens

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Here is a little blurb out of a manual...

CAUTION!
• If your vehicle battery becomes low or dead, your Key Fob will become locked in the ignition.
• Do not attempt to remove the Key Fob while in this condition, damage could occur to the Key Fob or ignition module. Only remove the emergency key for locking and unlocking the doors.
• Leave the Key Fob in the ignition and either: • Jump Start the vehicle. • Charge the battery.

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Here is a little blurb out of a manual...

CAUTION!
• If your vehicle battery becomes low or dead, your Key Fob will become locked in the ignition.
• Do not attempt to remove the Key Fob while in this condition, damage could occur to the Key Fob or ignition module. Only remove the emergency key for locking and unlocking the doors.
• Leave the Key Fob in the ignition and either: • Jump Start the vehicle. • Charge the battery.

Huh. That's what those thing are for huh? Well thank you. It is what it is. I didnt "feel" anything break lol.

Still got nothing though. I dont know what happened. Truck was fine yesterday. Had a cold night (like 37 degrees), and nothing today.

Voltage is showing 5.4V WITH the charger on it lol

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
With the battery reading 5 volts pretty sure you have some shorted cells. Charging it probably isn't going to bring it back to life, might be time for a new battery.

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
With the battery reading 5 volts pretty sure you have some shorted cells. Charging it probably isn't going to bring it back to life, might be time for a new battery.

Yeah I figured that after seeing it.

Update though. I have a flash logic's remote starter on the truck. I messed with the connector on the back of the ignition switch, and heard a click.. they key fob will go in and out freely now.. WOOHOO.

I'm also hoping the reason for 5 volts is because I had to leave the fob in ACC while I was at work for 4 hours. Truck was still on the tender. But at only 3a. Could imagine the truck was drawing more power than it could pump out.

Fingers crossed anyways.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If that is oem battery, well past time for a new one, you will continue to suffer if you squeeze the life out of it.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I figured that after seeing it.

Update though. I have a flash logic's remote starter on the truck. I messed with the connector on the back of the ignition switch, and heard a click.. they key fob will go in and out freely now.. WOOHOO.

I'm also hoping the reason for 5 volts is because I had to leave the fob in ACC while I was at work for 4 hours. Truck was still on the tender. But at only 3a. Could imagine the truck was drawing more power than it could pump out.

Fingers crossed anyways.

Yeah but if it really got that low, the capacity is GREATLY diminished, even if you manage to charge it back to 12V.

I once had an external power supply draw down 2 12V sealed lead acid batteries. Once I figured out what happened they were down to about 7V.

Took a charge back up to 12V but the runtime (they were backup power for the power supply) went from like 2 hours to 10 minutes or something crazy short like that.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
A) replace the truck battery
B) replace the fob battery for good luck
C) next time it’s stuck in the ignition and the steering wheel is turned hard in 1 direction or the other push the steering wheel in either direction and it may unlock it and take the key out easier.

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
All.

Thank you for your advice. The trucks battery is coming up on 2 years old. But not oem.

I have finally got the truck started. Taking it on a drive now, then will leave it overnight to see if it will still hold a charge. If not. New freaking battery it is!

Also. Key fob has a brand new battery. Only replaced it last week lol

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok. Just a thought on the key fob battery maybe being low. When you get back from the ride, check the battery voltage. And with the meter leads still on the battery, try starting the engine and see what the battery voltage drops to. If it’s at 10 volts or less get it out of there and get a replacement battery or you’ll need a jump start most likely in the morning.

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Ok. Just a thought on the key fob battery maybe being low. When you get back from the ride, check the battery voltage. And with the meter leads still on the battery, try starting the engine and see what the battery voltage drops to. If it’s at 10 volts or less get it out of there and get a replacement battery or you’ll need a jump start most likely in the morning.
Thank you Sir! I will do this when I get home.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Battery tenders ain’t chargers they only maintain a charged battery over a long period of nonuse i.e. a m/c battery over the winter. I recommend getting a regular battery charger that will put out a steady 12V 10-15amp.
Free replacement on the battery warranty??

The Blue Mule