USB for music

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I have had my 1500 Express for a few months short of 2 years. I tried once at some point to connect a USB drive for listening to music but it didn't work. I don't remember what format it was. I had a pioneer aftermarket radio in a van recently and it required a specific format of the flash drive to see the folders, etc. I never got it to work either. Anyway, I haven't found anything in the manuals, or online to say what I need to do to make it work. Is there a specific file type, a specific format of the drive? What do I need to do to make one work? I do know that when my wife or daughter plug in their iPhones to it, it really wants to play music from them, but my Android, it acts like it's not even there. Any advice would be helpful. Not losing sleep over it, just curious as to what will work.
Thanks

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Curious too
I have my music on a flash drive and mine works fine.
Don't what format I used, I just dragged my songs from the computer to one.
I am a PC retard, so sorry I cant really help.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My experience with the stock USB & head unit is that:

1. The USB stick must be formatted in FAT32. Most come formatted differently. There are free online utilities that will reformat USB drives to FAT32

2. MP3 files work best. Some Apple formats will also work. Hi-rez FLAC won't work.

3. Do not load folders onto the USB drive. For some reason it won't read the file type associated with a folder. Load single song files only.

gofish101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Outdoorsman CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 32 gb thumb drive and it's formatted to the Fat 32 file system. The songs are all MP3 format at 192 kbps. The sound is great on the 8.4. The only issue I have is every once in a while when I start the truck the drive is not recognized. I just remove it and put it in the other USB slot and bingo all is good. I have tried different makes of drives but the same thing happens. Not a big deal but it is an annoyance.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
yeah. if i remember correctly it needs to be FAT32

OP
OP
Jendsley06

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies. I will format a USB to fat32 and drag some music to it and try when I get a couple of days off. Maybe my problem before was that I had the music in folders.

gbark80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have to format the drive to be FAT32. Windows generally formats the drive in NTFS which has folder and file permissions for security and you can't add the head unit to the permissions and the head unit does not have the coding to understand the permissions. Also, FAT32 does have partition size limitations so you may not be able to use the entire storage size of the drive.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^^^^^^^ FAT 32 formatted and MP3 best

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I'm using a SanDisk 32GB Fit USB Flash Drive with over 1800 songs, all in folders. My radio sees the folders and I can select and play. The USB is FAT32 formatted

Last edited:

KiloHotel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm using a SanDisk 32GB Fit USB Flash Drive with over 1800 songs, all in folders. My radio sees the folders and I can select and play. The USB is FAT32 formatted

I'm using a 64 GB san disk, i never formatted it so unsure if its in FAT32.

My truck will not play lossless files.
All of my music is in folders and have no issues playing them
all mp3 in 320khz play just fine.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Does your uconnect remember the song sequence of what was previously played key cycle on/off?

My shuffle does not work and resets everytime I restart the truck. At one point it worked, then it just stopped. I have never created a playlist but I have my music broken down into folders by artists and genre.

KiloHotel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does your uconnect remember the song sequence of what was previously played key cycle on/off?

My shuffle does not work and resets everytime I restart the truck. At one point it worked, then it just stopped. I have never created a playlist but I have my music broken down into folders by artists and genre.

It seems to start over every time the truck is turned off