Used Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rozy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey,
Please convince me why I should buy a USED ( 2-3 years old ) Ram 1500 with a 5.7l, 2 spark plugs per cylinder 89 octane preferred over a similar Toyota Tundra. Concerned about the mystery engine tick that has never been resolved. I cannot afford a new truck.

I am retired, 40 plus years in the HD Truck (Fleet Management ) industry. Diesel Mechanic by trade, been in on the floor management since 28 years old. ASE Recertified Master Med/Heavy Technician.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Hey,
Please convince me why I should buy a USED ( 2-3 years old ) Ram 1500 with a 5.7l, 2 spark plugs per cylinder 89 octane preferred over a similar Toyota Tundra. Concerned about the mystery engine tick that has never been resolved. I cannot afford a new truck.

I am retired, 40 plus years in the HD Truck (Fleet Management ) industry. Diesel Mechanic by trade, been in on the floor management since 28 years old. ASE Recertified Master Med/Heavy Technician.
Drive them both, pick which one you like better, and then go buy the diesel version of that truck.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Similarly equipped, the Tundra will be about $10k more....

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In answer to yer Hey, ahhhh no.

Just a thought. Since you are a diesel mechanic, why even look at gas?

Just a thought. And I sure as heck not gonna convince U of a purchase, yer wallet, yer decision.

(I'll just mosey along in my lil RAM). Not being facetious, just Honest.

Last edited:

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Toyotas never break if they're well taken care of, 62 and have had one in the driveway since I was 16.
With that being said, they never look, perform or sound like my Hemi either.
Mine's an 03 and no tick what-so-ever?
IMG_1549.JPG

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Toyotas never break if they're well taken care of, 62 and have had one in the driveway since I was 16.
With that being said, they never look, perform or sound like my Hemi either.
Mine's an 03 and no tick what-so-ever?
View attachment 496004
The brand new 2022's (Toyota Tundras), only 6 cylinders now (8 cylinder dropped) are having monster problems, the right side turbo's are imploding, even on new trucks with 300 miles on odometer, ouch. I personally, just stick with my lil lowly DT Bighorn, works for me. I got the Monster MC for big things and 4 legged transportation in emergency, LOL.

ADDED: Fer chits and giggles, was gonna look at a 2022 Silverado, but the dealership here only has 4 Cylinder trucks, really? My Motorcycle has 6 cylinders, not a truck, being full sized? Not me said the blind man, all IMHO.....

misty stall 2.jpgIMG_1188.JPG,

Last edited: