Used Rebel vs. Purchased new Express

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mako21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all,

In the interest of saving a few bucks on payments, I was looking at a used ‘16 Rebel with 52k miles on it. Dealer is asking $33488. I am currently driving a ‘17 Express I purchased new. It currently has 30k miles. My average mileage per year is about 23k. Given what I could probably get off this price, the savings might be around $70-$100/month. Obviously the trim/options level is much higher with the Rebel. Not really loving the all red back of the front seats though. But I could get use to it.
My question is, is this Rebel worth me jumping from my current truck? Is the 20k+ extra miles and 1 model year older worth it since it has all the extras compared to my Express?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Hi all,

In the interest of saving a few bucks on payments, I was looking at a used ‘16 Rebel with 52k miles on it. Dealer is asking $33488. I am currently driving a ‘17 Express I purchased new. It currently has 30k miles. My average mileage per year is about 23k. Given what I could probably get off this price, the savings might be around $70-$100/month. Obviously the trim/options level is much higher with the Rebel. Not really loving the all red back of the front seats though. But I could get use to it.
My question is, is this Rebel worth me jumping from my current truck? Is the 20k+ extra miles and 1 model year older worth it since it has all the extras compared to my Express?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Yes I’d take the Rebel.
1- resales are awesome given the longevity of the truck and the added amenities of the Rebel.
My questions are
Do you go off-roading?
Does it have the winch?
Has it been modded?

2-If you get the Rebel how long do you think you’d keep it?

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 2500 4x4 C/C Off Road.

OP
OP
Mako21

Mako21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I’d take the Rebel.
1- resales are awesome given the longevity of the truck and the added amenities of the Rebel.
My questions are
Do you go off-roading?
Does it have the winch?
Has it been modded?

2-If you get the Rebel how long do you think you’d keep it?

I love my truck!

Thanks for the reply, McBroom.

-I don’t see the winch on the front.
- the most off-roading I do is either driving on the beach or going down logging roads during hunting season.
-Has not been modded
-Yes, I’d keep it for a while. All depends on how it runs. Looking to buy a house in the near future, so funds for a new truck will probably be in short supply one it happens.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks for the reply, McBroom.

-I don’t see the winch on the front.
- the most off-roading I do is either driving on the beach or going down logging roads during hunting season.
-Has not been modded
-Yes, I’d keep it for a while. All depends on how it runs. Looking to buy a house in the near future, so funds for a new truck will probably be in short supply one it happens.

Go buy it if the deal is in your best interest.
I would if it were me. The Rebel only came in 4 colors if I remember correctly. Red(most popular)
Black
Blue
White
I don’t recall seeing any others

I love my truck!

OP
OP
Mako21

Mako21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go buy it if the deal is in your best interest.
I would if it were me. The Rebel only came in 4 colors if I remember correctly. Red(most popular)
Black
Blue
White
I don’t recall seeing any others

I love my truck!

This is a black one. A concern I have with the resale value on it is the ALL red back of the front seats. I can get use to it, but I worry that others can’t and it might take away from the value.

6E25F28D-9153-42D0-A7F4-4118C3CAD6DB.jpeg

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
This is a black one. A concern I have with the resale value on it is the ALL red back of the front seats. I can get use to it, but I worry that others can’t and it might take away from the value.

View attachment 153278

That’s part of the Rebel package. Very common to see the red interior.

I love my truck!

hablox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would stay with what I have...you need to look a little harder to come up with the money to pay for your current truck. $70 -$100 is not that much. The express probably gets better gas mileage..I average 16MPG with my Rebel. You drive a lot so fuel is something to consider..

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don't forget the silver and special edition Tan colors.

Its really a toss up on whether or not to go to the Rebel. If it is a $100 a month savings it may be worth it. 20K isn't that much..

Be sure to get the extended warranty though...the air suspension (if it ever needs to be fixed) can be spendy. I haven't had any issues with mine though.

Good luck with your choice!

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
The price is high on that Rebel, talk them down to $29k. I say that because I just bought my '17 Rebel with 12k miles, moonroof and Ramboxes off lease for $31k. If they're asking $33k, they probably won't go much below $30k but you won't know unless you ask.

FYI, the red interior was a choice, I took the red delete option on mine (black interior). There is no winch option on the Rebel, that's a Power Wagon option. Many colors to choose from, I got mine in Granite...

Good luck!

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Mako, First thing I would do is go to www.kbb.com and www.nadaguides.com and spec out your truck and the Rebel . Also look at how much you owe on your 2017 and how much a hit you will take on the trade in . Also if you do not really like the color combo will it really matter to you after spending the cash ? I would get all the numbers before you sign on the line :)
For me I would keep my 2017 for now, buy another after I buy the house !
BUT if your savings is $100.00 a month less that is a nice savings!
But the Rebel is used and maybe abused and your 2017 was New and you know how it was taken care of !
But What you do is up to you,as you know how much you can afford .
But Go over your budget and cross your T's and Dot your I's ,
Impulse buying can break the bank :O
Just thoughts from a Old Fart who has a lot of buts lol

OP
OP
Mako21

Mako21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you all for your input! Gives me a lot to think about. I’m going to the dealer tomorrow to poke around for some more info. They taunt me when I go there for my maintenance. Right next to the Rebel is an ‘18 power wagon (way out of my price range). I try to hide in the waiting room. I may take the Rebel for a ride and see what type of deal can be worked out. If it is in my best interest financially, I might have to make the deal. We shall see.

Thanks again for the info!

edgarrian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like previous poster already stated be careful with air ride suspension especially in cold weather.

As for trading and saving 70 bucks. Meh not that big of deal. Id say it depends on if you are upside down with your current ride. Apparently you are not. If you drive that many miles a year id get something with better mileage. That seems like a lot to me.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Thank you all for your input! Gives me a lot to think about. I’m going to the dealer tomorrow to poke around for some more info. They taunt me when I go there for my maintenance. Right next to the Rebel is an ‘18 power wagon (way out of my price range). I try to hide in the waiting room. I may take the Rebel for a ride and see what type of deal can be worked out. If it is in my best interest financially, I might have to make the deal. We shall see.

Thanks again for the info!
Ok, so inquiring minds want to know... Did you go?

OP
OP
Mako21

Mako21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, so inquiring minds want to know... Did you go?

I went on kbb as others suggested and saw that this one was in fact over priced. I looked around and found a few with much less miles for around the same price. Unfortunately, my wife is quite unimpressed with all the red in the interior and forbid me from getting one like that haha. I got the OK to look for a comparable priced one with the all black/granite interior. The search is on.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Price is high on that particular Rebel and trading a newer Ram for an older one with higher mileage make zero sense to me, regardless of option package. To me, you always want to trade for newer, lower mileage.