Used Shopping confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
He's a suggestion: Find an amortization calculator online. Knowing your credit score, if you are above 700 you can almost be guaranteed to be at the lowest advertised rates for both new and used. Don't lie to yourself...If your score is lower, than plan on a higher rate. Plug in the interest rate for both new and used with **same-term** loans and see what the payment difference is on a used or a new than make a decision based on the resultant amounts financed. This will help you figure out the new vs. used question, **IF** you are a payment shopper. I see lots of suggestions about what it's worth at the end of the loan, etc...they all depreciate, so ignore that. (If you pay $70K and it's worth $30K after seven years, vs. if you pay $50K and it's worth $10K after seven years...guess what? You lost the same amount of money). If you want to compute depreciation, factor in the interest cost of those payments over the term of the loan and determine what the REAL depreciation cost is. Just my $.02...It's worth what you paid.

OP
OP
S

SmithT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentstar V6 3.55
Problem solved, bought 2022, drove about 60 miles today, I am really liking this truck, I still have so much to figure out! I appreciate all of your sharing your thoughts!
IMG_20220924_183456739_HDR.jpg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My choice is going to be much harder

Originally i had planned to buy a 2023 or 2024 Ram Classic Quad Cab Eco-diesel

Now Ram is talking about there will be no 2023 Eco-diesels

So even though i really wanted a 2023 Classic
I may have to buy a 2022 Ram Classic quad cab eco-diesel
& they are already getting harder to find

I do not care for the RAM DTs
why would they name a truck a DT
Delirium Tremens, also called DTs or alcohol withdrawal delirium
Besides that, they are just plain GAUDY

I can't fit a CREW CAB in my parking space & there is no available street parking

The Eco-diesel gets the best mileage at 75mph

I think i only have 1 month to decide

Last edited:

brian42

Military
Reaction score
You have a little time. I read that you can order the ED through January 2023 before they "retire" that option.

Visit a dealership and ask them what your timeline is. They are plugged into the production schedule better than anyone else.

I'm the opposite: the 5th gen is the only RAM I've ever liked inside and out. The 3rd gen (especially the HDs) was the best exterior and I've never liked any Dodge/RAM interior until the DT. If the 5th gen hadn't come out I'd still be in a Ford.

I'd rather be in a DT truck than buy one with an engine (ED) named after an after-hours performance disability. ;) :p

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think there's an agreed upon or "understood" differentiation between early and late.

As for any official differentiation it's a DT (All-New) or DS (Classic), nothing else.

There was lots of speculation back in the beginning about rushing to production to meet the timeline for launch. Not all options were available in the beginning but I think around October 2018 is when all the production options were able to be produced (but don't quote me on that).

All of this is just my personal opinion from what I read and researched when I bought mine back in early 2019. I considered October 2018 the decision point for me when I was shopping. Anything up to October 2018 build I considered as an "early" 2019 and shyed away from them. I only looked at November 2018 and later for my purchase.

Right or wrong, good or bad, smart or ignorant, that was part of my process.
OP, congrats on new ride. Now drive it, enjoy it and KEEP up the MX, ie., Oil changes and such using good Oil: Full Synthetic/100% synthetic filter and such. Don't cheap out on the oil or the filters or the mileage time period. Whole bunch of Oil Threads and Filter threads in here, most by BURLA, U may want to read up and make an informed decision. GL OP.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My choice is going to be much harder

Originally i had planned to buy a 2023 or 2024 Ram Classic Quad Cab Eco-diesel

Now Ram is talking about there will be no 2023 Eco-diesels

So even though i really wanted a 2023 Classic
I may have to buy a 2022 Ram Classic quad cab eco-diesel
& they are already getting harder to find

I do not care for the RAM DTs
why would they name a truck a DT
Delirium Tremens, also called DTs or alcohol withdrawal delirium
Besides that, they are just plain GAUDY

I can't fit a CREW CAB in my parking space & there is no available street parking

The Eco-diesel gets the best mileage at 75mph

I think i only have 1 month to decide
Get a Prius and put RAM logo's on it? Buy you a Chevy with the turbo 2.7L or the new I think is a 3.0 Diesel Duramax in-line 6? They R out for 2023. :33::emotions33:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have a little time. I read that you can order the ED through January 2023 before they "retire" that option.

Visit a dealership and ask them what your timeline is. They are plugged into the production schedule better than anyone else.

I'm the opposite: the 5th gen is the only RAM I've ever liked inside and out. The 3rd gen (especially the HDs) was the best exterior and I've never liked any Dodge/RAM interior until the DT. If the 5th gen hadn't come out I'd still be in a Ford.

I'd rather be in a DT truck than buy one with an engine (ED) named after an after-hours performance disability. ;) :p
I had a 2015 ED (2nd Gen), and to be honest, it was ok. Lots of torque low band. But I was in an ED forum and the 2nd Gen problems kept popping up, and I did not want to roll the dice so I bought a 5th Gen (DT) when they were 1st available. If I had to be in a Ford now, I would buy back my wife's 2010 Ford I sold to her son when she died in 2016. That 2010 F 150 was a great truck.

ADDED: When I was leaving a funeral home, and was pulling out in light traffic and that dang ED just stood there, well, it was gone in a week. But I also sold because was not working the Diesel, and nothing worse than using a Diesel as a GG, especially on the ED's, U get all sorts of problems.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Prior to the purchase of my 2019 and now a different car for my son, I have realized that leasing can be a real option. I have found the only real draw back seems to be if you have a likelihood of moving to a new state before the lease ends as it is nearly impossible to get the leasing company to do what is needed to register in the new state.
However, leasing is not without is gambles. The biggest being you don't own it so if it gets totaled you are out any equity you have in the car, i.e. any down payment or equity gained, example my truck if it had been totaled in November/December of 2021 I would have lost about $15000 in equity between my end of lease purchase price and the amount the trucks "blue" book value was listing at.

However, there are benefits, such as the near 0% interest "you" pay on the car during the lease. I lease a compact SUV in March. Between money down, monthly payment, the cost of registration and taxes and cars actual sticker price the difference is at or near $0 (I only did a rough numbers roll up, so it could be as much as $500 in difference). The long and short is that you can knock the cars "price" down $12k or more depending on your lease payment, and not pay 3 years of interest on that money and at the end you can usually get at or very near new car interest rates to buy out your lease if you want.

Basically, you can finance the car for 6 or 7 years at a higher monthly payment than you would to lease it for the 1st 3 years and then finance the buy out at the end.

And with respect to new vs used, you can lease for 3 years, then buy it for less than what you'd pay used but yet know the cars since day one vs the unknown of used.

I am not saying this will work for all, but I used to be a NO I DON'T LEASE GUY, and now I have seen the light..... Its just another option to get what you want and in most cases at a lower monthly cost, which is what a lot of us look for... otherwise we'd just by with cash.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Turkeybird56
A Prius won't work for me
When i restart my business again, which i hope is soon
They don't allow Short Wheel Based vehicles

I can just picture a flying Prius, when a gust of wind catches the sign

No, you can't use a real small sign
1664226579321.png

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turkeybird56
A Prius won't work for me
When i restart my business again, which i hope is soon
They don't allow Short Wheel Based vehicles

I can just picture a flying Prius, when a gust of wind catches the sign

No, you can't use a real small sign
View attachment 503008
I think you should do it and post the resulting Video, would be like a 1950's flying car without the fins, be hilarious, LOL.