Used Stock OEM Radio Security Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2012 RAM 2500 got a used Stock radio basic radio no nav or anything off ebay for $50 plugged it in it is asking for a security code? None of my trucks or old radio did this. The seller/junk yard is not helping so what is the best way to get the code? I do not want to deal with a dealership.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
2012 RAM 2500 got a used Stock radio basic radio no nav or anything off ebay for $50 plugged it in it is asking for a security code? None of my trucks or old radio did this. The seller/junk yard is not helping so what is the best way to get the code? I do not want to deal with a dealership.
Try this site. You'll need the radio serial number...

Should be under $15 if they can generate your code.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Joji91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad I could help!

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Try this site. You'll need the radio part number...

Should be under $15 if they can generate your code.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Wow! It’s that easy? I saw a few uconnect 8.4’s on eBay that was hesitant about buying due to them not being able to give me the code. I wish I would’ve seen this post before buying the Alpine head unit that’ll be arriving in the mail tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joji91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow! It’s that easy? I saw a few uconnect 8.4’s on eBay that was hesitant about buying due to them not being able to give me the code. I wish I would’ve seen this post before buying the Alpine head unit that’ll be arriving in the mail tomorrow.
What unit did you buy?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Alpine iLX-W650

I bought that exact radio from Crutchfield a week ago, installed it and just returned it to them last Saturday using their 60 day satisfaction return policy.

The main problem I had is I bought it 99% for use of the Android Auto and Waze app. There is no way to use the Android Auto app and separate the radio volume from the Android Auto volume. There is no Aux input to set it as a default dead space when you disconnect your phone using Android Auto but instead goes to the radio input. So when you try to adjust the radio volume down to 0, it also adjust Android Auto/Waze volume to zero.

Only way I could get Waze volume control and not have a radio blaring in the background was before connecting the phone by USB cable, was to set the unit input to the phone bluetooth connect with nothing playing on the phone bluetooth media and then hook the phone by USB and then the WAZE would work and have volume control for the app and no radio playing the background, the nano second you disconnect the USB cable, the AM/FM radio kicks in and you are back at square one.

Not a big deal if you do not mind constant am/fm radio playing in the background of using a Android Auto/Waze but the lack of a dedicated AUX input on this radio to have as a default dead space makes it an annoyance using it. You can check the some of the low star ratings of this unit on Crutchfields website and see a couple of people mentioning this. I wish I had seen it before buying it.

not recomended
Toyota of from LARAMIE, WY on 5/18/2020

2003 GMC Sierra 1500

Verified customer(What's this?)

you cant turn off the radio without also muting all other functions, so you cant listen to just navigation without having a radio station blaring at you.

Pros: backup camera works good, shallow unit fits well

Cons: lack of customization, lack of ability to turn off radio app independently of muting all other apps is extremely annoying, parking brake requirements, you wire it in so you can only access most functions when the parking brake is applied.

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I bought that exact radio from Crutchfield a week ago, installed it and just returned it to them last Saturday using their 60 day satisfaction return policy.

The main problem I had is I bought it 99% for use of the Android Auto and Waze app. There is no way to use the Android Auto app and separate the radio volume from the Android Auto volume. There is no Aux input to set it as a default dead space when you disconnect your phone using Android Auto but instead goes to the radio input. So when you try to adjust the radio volume down to 0, it also adjust Android Auto/Waze volume to zero.

Only way I could get Waze volume control and not have a radio blaring in the background was before connecting the phone by USB cable, was to set the unit input to the phone bluetooth connect with nothing playing on the phone bluetooth media and then hook the phone by USB and then the WAZE would work and have volume control for the app and no radio playing the background, the nano second you disconnect the USB cable, the AM/FM radio kicks in and you are back at square one.

Not a big deal if you do not mind constant am/fm radio playing in the background of using a Android Auto/Waze but the lack of a dedicated AUX input on this radio to have as a default dead space makes it an annoyance using it. You can check the some of the low star ratings of this unit on Crutchfields website and see a couple of people mentioning this. I wish I had seen it before buying it.
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll keep that in mind and see how it works out for me. I’ll be sure to return it if I don’t like it. Maybe I’ll spend the extra money and just go with an upgraded uconnect unit. Or maybe even one of those Tesla style units I see people installing on YouTube

NJ_TN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Also, did you have to cut off that rear support bracket in the dash? I noticed this head unit says it’s shallow. I was wondering if it stops shy of that bracket or not.

BTW... thank you for your service

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Also, did you have to cut off that rear support bracket in the dash? I noticed this head unit says it’s shallow. I was wondering if it stops shy of that bracket or not.

BTW... thank you for your service

No, I did not have to cut the metal bracket and that is part of the reason why I bought it.

FWIW, if you decide that Alpine does not work out for you, JVC and Kenwood sell similar shallow mount media only radios in the same price range as that Alpine without that volume issue I mentioned on Crutchfield's website. I reverted back to the OEM 5.0 radio for the time being but that is where I will go next if I decide to put another aftermarket radio back in.

Mark Rodriguez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have had the Uconnect 8.4 nav screen and I have the Tesla screen.. The Tesla style screen is worth the extra money in my opinion