Used truck extended warranty questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krbrothers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I recently bought a used 2013 Ram 5.7 hemi. Everything sounded great and truck ran good. Three days later the check engine light came on with codes for cams and lifters. The truck has now been at the dealership for a week with no info except tearing down the top of the engine to find out what's wrong. Is the repair gonna be covered under an extended warranty? I have no service records and they didn't ask me any questions. The dealer just offered a loaner and said they are working with the warranty.

Princeton_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it was a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle with a warranty through FCA, you've probably got nothing to worry about other than delays caused by shortages of parts.

With aftermarket warranties, depending on how much you pay for the warranty, there's usually a deductible and sometimes even a limit on how much they'll cover. You should have received a copy of the warranty detailing the coverage and deductibles. I know there's some used car dealers who sell short 2 and 3 month warranties and just give the customer a card with a phone number. That's a gamble I know nothing about.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I doubt it was a CPO considering the age of the truck.

We'd have to have more info about the warranty to answer the OP's question. If you didn't get a copy of whatever warranty they gave you/sold you when you bought the truck, ask for it. That will tell you a lot more than we can.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Without seeing your particular warranty it's all guess work, Every warranty is different. With that said, If I was in your shoes and the truck died 3 days after driving it off the lot I'd be pushing for a refund and go find something else.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Don't accept a junk yard engine if they try to push that route. Fix yours or argue for a jasper or other quality rebuilt engine.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, don't let anyone on this forum tell you cam and lifter issues with rams are rare, it is a known issue and the number one issue facing hemi's for the last decade. However it works out, put effort into a lubrication strategy and maybe avoid having this happen again, search hemi tick on the board. It appears you will be taking care of, I hope it works out for ya. many places have a 30 day from house on used vehicles even before you even talk "extended warranty". Find out their policy since you seam to not know.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Since you didnt bother to know about the warranty, you might want to just roll with it and not bother them. It is likely unless they have a written 30 day that they are on solid ground and you aren't. So I wouldn't go tossing my weight around, with due respect. Id take whatever they offered in this case.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Check Engine Light came on just 3 days after you bought it. What a coincidence. Or not.

I think they should give your money back. At the very least fix it at no charge.

OP
OP
K

Krbrothers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The Check Engine Light came on just 3 days after you bought it. What a coincidence. Or not.

I think they should give your money back. At the very least fix it at no charge.
I don't think that is an option cause it's used. As of now they said they sent the issue to the warranty company and are waiting approval to see what they want to do. Still no price or information was given. I believe my deductible is $200 which is fine if I get it back fixed and running good

OP
OP
K

Krbrothers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Since you didnt bother to know about the warranty, you might want to just roll with it and not bother them. It is likely unless they have a written 30 day that they are on solid ground and you aren't. So I wouldn't go tossing my weight around, with due respect. Id take whatever they offered in this case.
I left the paperwork in the truck. It did say internal lubricant engine parts. So I believe cam and lifters. But now idk for sure cause it was only a few days glancing at the warranty. Lesson learned

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Without seeing your particular warranty it's all guess work, Every warranty is different. With that said, If I was in your shoes and the truck died 3 days after driving it off the lot I'd be pushing for a refund and go find something else.

Kinda hard to do if you finance it sometimes, depends on the sales contract. Its also why I pay cash. My last trade in was worth 17,000 plus. I made them give me that on paper, then I paid cash. They were really ******.

OP
OP
K

Krbrothers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well aparantly the cam shaft is bad and they are trying to get approval to replace the engine. If they do will it still be the 5.7 hemi? I bought the warranty and truck through a Ford dealership so not sure how an engine swap works. The dealer said the work required would be just as expensive as replacing the engine.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It would cost more to put anything other than a hemi engine in.

OP
OP
K

Krbrothers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I know so many times these threads die and the creator never tells the outcome so update. I get the truck back today. New engine with a two year warranty. The wait sucked but for a new engine i guess i can't complain. Thank you all for input.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Kr, I'm really glad to hear it worked out.

Your purchase turned out to be a bargain after all.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
GREAT news and sounds like a good dealer !