Using Air Suspension Tank for filling RV tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Hello All, crawling under my 2020 Ram 3500 with air suspension i noticed an unused extra quick attach plug on the side of my OEM factory air tank.... and wondered if i could potentially install a line there and run it to my back bumper to occasionally use the tank to fill RV tires. Anyone know if this is a ridiculous idea? I’m picturing the air bags getting blasted unless I could put in a bypass valve somehow? What is the psi in that tank? is there a way to put an auxiliary switch in to control output for inflating tires?
Or is it just more practical to put in a second VIAir tank and control.
Thanks for the feedback.

61C5B9A9-32B7-4EAD-952B-FE54231035AE.jpeg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The system is charged with nitrogen like the 1500s. The compressor just reuses the nitrogen to inflate the rear bags from the holding tank.
Klienn makes a complete bolt air compressor w/tank kit for Ram trucks: https://kleinn.com/ram-systems/

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is your 3500 diesel? If it is and you have an exhaust brake(I think all do), then there should be a compressor and air tank. Tap off that tank/system. I haven't paid attention to the way the newer truck exhaust brake systems work, so just posing the question. Had an exhaust brake installed on my '05 Duramax, and had a quick connect in line at the compressor. Not good to air up a really low tire, but good for a top-off. Llso plumbed it into my rear air bags.
Sirry, but just checked how the newer brakes work, and they use the turbo as a variable brake/turbo. better off to get a dedicated system.

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Short answer is no. Even if it did it would be too low a volume compressor to be worth the effort. Just grab a 12v cig lighter one or a cordless one to keep stashed somewhere like in the rv for when you may need it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963