Using iPod in USB port 1, 2, or 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmaw2308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Anyone else have to plug in and unplug an iPod each time you want to use it? In my 3 different 4th gen trucks I had, it never mattered how long the truck sat. The iPod would start up and be playable. In the 5th gen, I have to unplug it and plug it back in every time I want to use it. I feel like I'm going to wear the USB ports out by doing this every time.

Long story short, are there any fixes for this?

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bluetooth? I’m not sure exactly why but my IPod Touch can be the same way when it comes to USB connectivity. The Bluetooth connects 99% of the time, but the hard wire USB gives better sound along with the on screen graphics display upgrade for the music info. I’m not sure what the issue is. If I manually unlock the Pod it will USB connect most of the time. I wonder what happens if I shut off the Pod Bluetooth function, will the head unit default to the USB ?

T.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just tried shutting down my Bluetooth function on the pod. If I manually unlock the pod the head unit finds it and connects. No need to unplug n plug in again, although I have done just that in the past.

Must state, in true old fart male fashion, haven’t read the manual on this topic either, lol.

T.

Last edited:

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well. I’ve found the fix of a sort. Rather than adjust the trucks head unit to sync with the pod (if in fact that is required ) I went into the IPod instead. What I did was simply shut off the passcode feature , the one that requires you to put in a code to open/access the IPods apps and other functions. Go to “Settings” and then find the “ID/passcode” section, enter it, and turn off or disable the passcode feature.

If you do not wish to do that, I’ve found that I don’t have to unplug the pods USB cable I just attempt to turn the pod on, punch in the access code as per normal, and the trucks system detects the pod and away I go. A bit of a pain as I keep the pod hidden from prying eyes.

I did notice something else to. The USB connection gives better sound quality and more audio volume then when in Bluetooth mode.

The down side having done the above of course is no security on the contents of your IPod. As my IPod touch is dedecated for truck tune use it does not contain much personal info on it. I keep the truck locked 99.999999% of the time.

T.