Using Marine grade grease on the cardan joint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Audiowriter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I accidentally bought a tube of "Boat Trailer Wheel Bearing Grease" which is made for high salt (ocean water) for backing the trailer in to launch a boat. \

Would this stuff be OK to use on the Cardin joint?

(I didn't have my glasses on when purchasing and could only read the "Wheel Bearing" letter type on the tube...)

Should I take it back - or use it?

OP
OP
Audiowriter

Audiowriter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mopar suggests NLGI 2 -
But -
Just double checking -

Below are 3 pics of the grease / tube - I bought -

I read where some greases do not mix well with regular lithium types of grease (which lithium is what I have already been using) They say that some greases will "de-activate" each other and either harden up with little lubrication - OR - liquefy with little lubrication.

The new grease is the thicker NLGI 2 - but it says "Carbon Black" (which is what they call the thicker (peanut butter) consistency greases)

I wonder if this stuff will play well with the lithium?

Grease 1.jpg

Grease 2.jpg

Grease 3.jpg

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why don't you mix the two on your workbench with a putty knife and see what happens? Or just take it back and exchange it?

OP
OP
Audiowriter

Audiowriter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After purchasing - I thought with it being thicker I wouldn't have to grease the cardan every oil change - maybe every other change - but then I did a little research about mixing - I'm just going to exchange it for some lithium.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The OP asked about this on Cummins forum and got answers, basically he was told to just use it.

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's two $12 u-joints. If he's greasing it that often he's pushing grease out the seals, might as well just use it and flush them through.