UTV/Side x Side Comparisons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
My wife and I have decided to get a side by side. Want to put it in our toy hauler and go out to some off road parks and trails.

My debate at the moment is between a Polaris RZR S 900 and a Polaris General.
I've also looked at the Can-Am Commander, but I have a Polaris dealership in town, so those are easier to go look at right now.

Plans at the moment are basically trail riding, driving on the beach, and I like hill / rock crawling type of stuff. I'm not really concerned about top speed, this isn't something I want to race.
Could also be used for going out fishing, or hunting, so I'm thinking of leaning more towards the General.

Do any of you have much experience with these things? I've never driven any play versions. One friend has a Polaris Ranger, one has an old Kawasaki Mule, and at work we have a John Deer Gator. Driven all three of those quite a bit.

I can't go any bigger than the ones mentioned, not even sure those will fit in my trailer. Planning on finding that out later this week.

Are there a lot of places that are width restricted? I really prefer the 60" width for the elbow room, but am still considering the 50" models.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve had a number of SxS over the last 15 years, mostly Polaris. Currently a RZR 1000 S. For space considerations, be aware they’re a couple of inches wider than stated when measured to the outside of the tires. Also CVT belt transmissions don’t like crawling and slipping. Just something to be aware of since you mentioned rock crawling. They’re really built more for go fast than crawling.

Dice

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're considering the General, look at the Yamaha Wolverine. Great machine. Not as fast as the Polaris, but more comfortable. Better t-case and 4x4, and 10 year belt warranty.
I bought mine when I was the service manager at a dealership that sold Polaris and Yamaha.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Consider the General or Wolverine. RZR if you want to carve fast, but sacrifice utility and space.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Yamaha X2. I use it to hunt so far so good.

85169049_10158243866103552_7476435514166345728_o.jpg

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
For what you listed, the yamaha wolverine would be a great choice, it's not the fastest, but will still put a smile on your face when you crack it. Yamaha cvt system is second to none, it's the only belt system that won't give you any trouble. There's a reason they have a 10 year warranty on their belts.
If you want something a bit faster, but less reliable, grab the Polaris, they know sxs, much better than they do atv, that's for sure.
None of these will compare to the mule or the Deere that you have driven, they are slow clunky work horses, that serve that purpose well.
As for 50 vs 60, the 60 will be more comfortable, & stable, but the 50 will have a much better chance of getting in narrow trails. Most places are starting to open up to accommodate the wider sxs, but there are still many places that even a 50" won't go.
There are alot of trails I ride that even a bigger atv is very tight between trees on a turn, my 700 kodiak just fits with only a few inches to spare. A sxs would never make it. Sometimes I miss my old 450 Honda, that thing would fit in anywhere with miles of room to spare. Lol
This is the main reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a sxs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I have a 900 RZR Trail and wish I'd gotten the General.
I have 2 Polaris SXS now but I think my next one will be a Can Am Commander.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The speed and power is an easy fix on the X2, looks like Yamaha locked the ECU so it wouldn't compete with the YXZ...lol...

-Hunterworks Sheave
-Weller Tune

As well I ended up putting Eibach springs on my KYB shocks. Gives you a 2" lift and improves the ride quality alot. and lets you throw on some 30's... :)

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Subscribed.

I'm in the market for a SXS as well.

Dice

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, if anyone looking is in Michigan, I'll make you a hell of deal on a 19 Wolverine.
Divorce fire sale pricing

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ranger 900XP is great, but a general or Wolverine would be much more fun.7BDA155B-18A0-4683-BC8D-78FE268217B3.jpeg

OP
OP
JMod45

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Thanks for the input. I went and looked at a wolverine here in town, and was able to try and fit it into my trailer. It is within about an inch of making it, but can't clear the overhead cabinets, so I decided I need a 50" trail machine.

There aren't a lot of options in this field, but it sounds like the top two are either a 2015+ Polaris RZR 900 or a Can-Am Maverick Trail. I've researched the crap out of both of these, and think I have decided on a RZR, due to the higher seating position, and shorter length. Planning to go somewhere this weekend, and actually sit in one to see how it feels.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would be cutting the corners of the cabinets for right machine. Buuuuut mine rides an open deck tandem to keep it simple.

OP
OP
JMod45

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Went down and bought a used 2019 RZR this weekend. It's 50" wide, and while not quite as roomy as a non-trail, my wife and I both sit just fine without bumping. 50" fits great in my toy hauler without having to modify anything. My friends place where I keep it has a small dirt bike track set up, and the 50" makes it around that track, and through a lot of places his Ranger has problems getting through due to width.

As far as performance is concerned. I've only ever driven utility models before now. I knew it would be a little quicker and faster than the others, but nothing like this. It is a blast to ride.

I did take it through a small creek, and it had no problems crawling out of it in 4wd low. Also managed to high center it on a ditch after nearly flipping the thing. Wife thought she needed to get out and push, but I stuck it in 4wd again, and it climbed right out, so I'm pretty happy about that as well.

I know a General or Wolverine would probably be a better choice for what my intentions are, but I'm thrilled with the RZR. I'll trade in the toy hauler for something different in a few years, by then I'll know what type of riding I will be doing, and I can get a trailer to accommodate a larger machine.

klP20c0.jpg

Ti0qh7U.jpg

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
That's what I have too.(2018)
Super capable machines.
I swapped out my stock tires for a set of 27" 8plys right away.
The stock ones aren't bad but 4plys puncture easier plus we do a lot of road driving and the stiffer tires are much more stable.

OP
OP
JMod45

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
For some reason the tires are really worn out. We are thinking the previous owner swapped older tires onto it before selling it. I ordered some on Monday, getting them installed Wednesday.

Kept stock front size, but got 1 inch wider in the rear. Would like a little bigger tires, bud didn't want to go wider and taller at the same time on the front, was hoping for one or the other, and see how the clearances were. Unfortunately, those sizes don't really exist on 12" rims from what I have seen.

When you guys ride trails, what type of helmets do you wear?
I come from street bikes, so I have a handful of full face street helmets, but keep reading that dirt bike helmets are the way to go. These things have a full cage, I would suspect an open face helmet would be plenty, but have no experience in this field.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I never were a helmet unless it's required by the law.
then it's the same 1/2 helmet I wear on my Harley.