V06 Steering Linkage Recall - Opinions Wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
i question if fca even has a idea what years, models, batch numbers are affected.
Vehicles are built with parts "Shipped Just in Time". All batches and shipment of parts are tracked, all the vehicle manufacturer's can pinpoint what batch of parts went onto what vehicles.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
maybe some day we can get someone in here thats actually had the draglink pull apart. until then , its a **** show far as im concearned. two little cheesy ass tack welds put your mind at ease ?

DeepVee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins6.7
The nuts coming loose isn’t the root issue. The threads in the adjuster are the problem. If they’re oversized the drag link can pull out of the adjuster, skipping the threads.

So putting hose clamps on there may help the nuts from coming loose, it does nothing for the actual problem. Hence why FCA is wanting it welded. Welding the adjuster to the nuts essentially elongates the threaded section of the adjuster and has known good threads on either side of the possibly failed threads.

I totally understand that. And that's a very good point. However, the recall notice that I have reads different. Obviously there is more to the story than what they're telling the consumer. Interesting....

"The drag link on your truck [1] may have been built with an outboard steering linkage jam nut that could loosen allowing one end of the drag link to separate from the adjuster sleeve. A drag link separation can result in a loss of directional steering control, which can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning."

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I totally understand that. And that's a very good point. However, the recall notice that I have reads different. Obviously there is more to the story than what they're telling the consumer. Interesting....

"The drag link on your truck [1] may have been built with an outboard steering linkage jam nut that could loosen allowing one end of the drag link to separate from the adjuster sleeve. A drag link separation can result in a loss of directional steering control, which can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning."

The actual recall procedure asks for the drag link and adjuster threads to be measured. While loose drag link adjuster nuts may be a sign of the bad threads. The adjuster nuts being loose is not the root issue.

It’s kind of a chicken and the egg thing to be honest. Which happens first, nuts coming loose then causing poor threads or poor threads causing nuts to come loose is hard to say. There’s nothing in the recall notice or procedure that really narrows it down. Best I can figure from actually performing these recalls is that it’s a little bit of both, but I as well as the other techs feel poor threads in the adjuster is the main culprit.

Last edited:

DeepVee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins6.7
That's good to know, thank you. This is the first I've ever heard of this.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been all over this forum, and there are only a hand full of people that actually understand what the hell is going on with this. Tach is dead on, the internal threads of the sleeve are incorrect, which allows the rod ends to pull out of the sleeve. the nuts are NOT loosing up causing the problem, but just one of the signs of the problem, the other is your steering wheel going off center slowly or in extreme circumstance quickly, which loss of steering is soon to come.
I haven't done the "TEMP" fix yet and do not plan to. instead I will be buying a new sleeve from MOOG ($130), I feel this will fix the problem and I will still have thew fine tuning of the draglink as FCA intended. with the Synenergy draglink everyone else is raving about you will loose that fine tuning ability.

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been all over this forum, and there are only a hand full of people that actually understand what the hell is going on with this. Tach is dead on, the internal threads of the sleeve are incorrect, which allows the rod ends to pull out of the sleeve. the nuts are NOT loosing up causing the problem, but just one of the signs of the problem, the other is your steering wheel going off center slowly or in extreme circumstance quickly, which loss of steering is soon to come.
I haven't done the "TEMP" fix yet and do not plan to. instead I will be buying a new sleeve from MOOG ($130), I feel this will fix the problem and I will still have thew fine tuning of the draglink as FCA intended. with the Synenergy draglink everyone else is raving about you will loose that fine tuning ability.
You can buy the complete '19 style draglink assembly from the dealer for about $120, I just ordered one. Part # 68338342AB

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I stand corrected about the Synenergy draglink, I was just shown a better pic of their draglink, that shows the adjuster sleeve between the tube and rod ends. the pic I seen did not focus on the ends all that well and I missed the new style adjusting sleeves.

Super, the big question is will they call in a few days and say "sorry but that part is still not available for retail sale" other's have tried that route and have gotten that message.

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I stand corrected about the Synenergy draglink, I was just shown a better pic of their draglink, that shows the adjuster sleeve between the tube and rod ends. the pic I seen did not focus on the ends all that well and I missed the new style adjusting sleeves.

Super, the big question is will they call in a few days and say "sorry but that part is still not available for retail sale" other's have tried that route and have gotten that message.

@Brian2081 The drag link is on its way to me, so they are available now.