V6 Ram owners what is your MPG??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Really depends on the driving. Hills kill it obviously.

Ripp coils are supposedly more efficient. Biggest notice I saw was a smoother powerband.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the reply !
Yea we have a ton of hills in Maine ! But even at 20/22mpg I am a happy camper ! I will check into those Ripp coils

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
bc88ae1e8d2f37322a867d6b9ec2507d.jpg

This is my commute in today. Ended the trip at 24.6ish with it set between 75-80 on the highway the entire time.

Typically flat highway, couple of hills with about 15 minutes in the city getting on and off. Not too shabby.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been considering trading my '09 hemi 5spd/3.55 for a 13+ 3.6 8spd/3.21. Just wondering if the mpg is worth it. I've managed 22 in mine, but that was 65mph on flat highway. Mostly I'm around 15.5 per tank. My daily commute is 15 miles one-way, about 50-50. I've towed once or twice, but the biggest I've towed was a '94 Honda Accord and I understand that even with the 3.21 gears I'd be good for around 4K lbs towing.

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been considering trading my '09 hemi 5spd/3.55 for a 13+ 3.6 8spd/3.21. Just wondering if the mpg is worth it. I've managed 22 in mine, but that was 65mph on flat highway. Mostly I'm around 15.5 per tank. My daily commute is 15 miles one-way, about 50-50. I've towed once or twice, but the biggest I've towed was a '94 Honda Accord and I understand that even with the 3.21 gears I'd be good for around 4K lbs towing.

I think the difference is people say, “I’ve managed 22.” But under what conditions? You’d be hard pressed to average 22 in a hemi on a tank with city driving. I had a Challenger and Charger hemi before my truck and it’s just not feasible to consistently get good mpg unless you have great conditions and/or live on the highway.

In my truck, I’ve don’t think I’ve ever gone under 20 combined unless I’m driving like an idiot.

Personally, I don’t tow, rebates are always better in the v6 and I have a car to zip around.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I average 16.5 (non-highway) with a 3.92 rear. I also limit the trans to 5th gear which gets me up to about 48mph at around 2200rpms, which is where I've found the mpg to be best.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I say I've "managed" 22mpg, that was once, going 65 on flat highway with no wind. I was trying to see how good I could do. It's hardly the norm - the 15.5 is my average commute/driving around town mpg. I love my truck, but I'm getting tired of feeding it. We have a small car, but it's the wife's so it's not available for me to drive daily.

I don't need the 3.92 or 4x4.

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I say I've "managed" 22mpg, that was once, going 65 on flat highway with no wind. I was trying to see how good I could do. It's hardly the norm - the 15.5 is my average commute/driving around town mpg. I love my truck, but I'm getting tired of feeding it. We have a small car, but it's the wife's so it's not available for me to drive daily.

I don't need the 3.92 or 4x4.

Yeah I mean, if you don’t tow [emoji2373]

I think at the time I had 16,000k In rebates? The hemi? 4k. Easy decision.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I have a 2015 4x4 Quad Cab V6 ,3:21 gears
I am 20/22mpg around town or Hwy ! That is Rural driving ! I am light footed !
I am very happy with ,my Pentastar ! And MPG for a full sized truck :)
So is it worth it ? Depends on what you want !
If your current truck is paid off and running fine maybe, If it is getting tired then yes get more on trade in now !
SO it all breaks down to what you want, but I think you will like the Pentastar for me plenty of power. But the Hemi is a gas to play with lol

Last edited:

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

don’t get 3.21s unless you cruise at 75-80mph.

I have them. Wish I have 3.92’s as my commute is 50-55mph

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

I may have mentioned it elsewhere in this thread but I've owned both. A 2017 pentastar 3.21 and currently a 2019 hemi 3.21. I saw 22-23mpg tank to tank with my V6 and see a 20-21 with my hemi.

Your only other stock option in final drive gearing for a pentastar is 3.55's. My brother owns a 2019 Ram 1500 classic w/ pentastar and 3.55s. The towing capacity numbers are of course higher, but in terms of driving performance and fuel economy, you can't tell it from the 3.21 gears to us. I'm sure other owner's experiences will vary.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Didn't know the 3.6 had the 3.55 option. Still, I'd rather have the higher mpgs. I bought my 09 thinking I'd use it more and maybe tow a trailer, but the wife has decided she'd rather have a driveable. So for the most part I use the truck for my daily transportation and whatever home improvement stuff I do so no big towing jobs.

My brother has a 98 Ram I could borrow if I needed it, and I could just get out of the truck and go to a car or CUV of some kind. Guess I need to look around and see what's available.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.21 won’t get you higher mpg over 3.55 unless you are all 70-80mph interstate.

I have 3.21 and at 55mph I’m in 7th a lot. Might a well get more use of 8th with 3.55

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I consistently get 22 plus Average combined. 25 plus is not uncommon at all when traveling long distances. These are hand calculated numbers. However, my driving is almost exclusively open highway steady state driving. Interesting thing is that the computer can swing either way. Sometimes being optimistic and sometimes not showing as good as what I calculate. Occasionally it is dead on agreeing with hand calculated mileage. Probably attributable to the difference in pumps. Though I usually try to squeeze every drop into the tank that the pump will allow when traveling. More than once I have exceeded 700 miles on a tank of fuel. ( I do have the larger fuel tank ). I have 3.21 gears and the truck will routinely shift into eighth gear between 60 and 80 MPH when driving over the road. If I am using cruise in an area where there are a lot of hills or steep climbs I use tow haul mode. This prevents excessive shifting and locks 8th gear out completely. I will also anticipate a climb and override the cruise with the accelerator, gradually increasing speed rather than wait for the cruise control to sense the climb. At that point you are already behind the eight ball.
Over 100,000 miles and eight years traveling across country in a motorhome taught me how to drive for fuel mileage. I am sure this helps me out when driving the Ram. That's my honest experience, YMMV.

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
This is MPG I got from my Trip I did last week, From Montana to California , avg speed 70.View attachment 227735
What I find funny is some people make wise ass comments about people wanting good MPG on their trucks !
They comment its a truck so MPG does not matter :O
Well yea were not stupid and we know a truck is not going to get mpg of a Prius but we still want the best mpg we can get in our trucks ! Nothing wrong with that IMO lol

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
What I find funny is some people make wise ass comments about people wanting good MPG on their trucks !
Well yea were not stupid and we know a truck is not going to get mpg of a Prius but we still want the best mpg we can get in our trucks ! Nothing wrong with that IMO lol
Though the majority of truck owners just MIGHT buy a truck for traditional truck reasons , ( towing , hauling heavy loads etc ) todays trucks have the features, luxury, ride etc that rivals many cars. I am probably the antithesis of what the "average " truck owner is thought to be.
I ordered my truck to fit the needs that are particular to me. Those needs being of a "touring" vehicle.
I am of large stature and a full size truck is about the most comfortable vehicle available for me. My crew cab allows me to travel with valuable items locked inside as well as carry a considerable amount in the covered bed. MPG is important to me.
My Laramie Pentastar V6 , 2WD, 8 speed trans, 3.21 gears with limited slip and large capacity fuel tank has fit my needs perfectly. The "typical" truck owner probably thinks I am crazy to special order a truck so equipped.
Yes, getting the best possible MPG was a weighted part of the equation in choosing my truck.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Though the majority of truck owners just MIGHT buy a truck for traditional truck reasons , ( towing , hauling heavy loads etc ) todays trucks have the features, luxury, ride etc that rivals many cars. I am probably the antithesis of what the "average " truck owner is thought to be.
I ordered my truck to fit the needs that are particular to me. Those needs being of a "touring" vehicle.
I am of large stature and a full size truck is about the most comfortable vehicle available for me. My crew cab allows me to travel with valuable items locked inside as well as carry a considerable amount in the covered bed. MPG is important to me.
My Laramie Pentastar V6 , 2WD, 8 speed trans, 3.21 gears with limited slip and large capacity fuel tank has fit my needs perfectly. The "typical" truck owner probably thinks I am crazy to special order a truck so equipped.
Yes, getting the best possible MPG was a weighted part of the equation in choosing my truck.

I agree with you 110%. I purchased my Truck as a driver not a hauler. I use it as a car more then a truck.I also am not small. I am 210lbs 6ft3 , and the comfort is great. I use my truck to travel in because of that. My car gets 27mpg + . The 4x4 feature is a plus for me as I rarely use it but wanted it because of snow ! So 21/22 mpg is very good to me. Now if I was hauling a TT then the hemi would be the way I go. But Do not knock anyone that wants the Hemi just as a daily. That is their decision !

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I purchased my half ton to do half ton things, and it does all the half ton things my other V8 half tons did, and just as well.

I also commute 400mi/wk. It’s nice to have my response vehicle for work, weekend warrior/worker, and commuter all in one. 2 vehicles here is double the insurance cost too.

I tow a Polaris ranger 900 on a tandem, a double snowmobile trailer, a single axle travel trailer, and a utility trailer. Items larger than this I would be wanting a 2500 anyhow (4 sled enclosed trailer, etc.). I tow a lot at work, with 1500-5500 trucks, I know where my preferences lie for rig vs load.

I also need the space. I camp and hunt.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get that a lot when asking how to improve the mpg in mine. There are still things I could do, but I'm thinking it might be easier to just go with the V6. I was supposed to go look at a 2020 Classic yesterday, but didn't get out of work on time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel