V6 Ram owners what is your MPG??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
IMO in the long run buy what you like not what people tell you to like lol. I drove several Hemi's from the Auction and the are a gas to drive and hear when you hit the gas lol But my V6 has plenty of power for me for what I use it for ! Like Qutonmob said if I was going to haul 4 Snow Sleds with a box trailer the Hemi makes more sense.
You all have a great day and stay safe

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What I find funny is some people make wise ass comments about people wanting good MPG on their trucks !
They comment its a truck so MPG does not matter :O
Well yea were not stupid and we know a truck is not going to get mpg of a Prius but we still want the best mpg we can get in our trucks ! Nothing wrong with that IMO lol

Because it’s counterintuitive if we’re being honest with ourselves.

Nobody goes into a truck purchasing saying, “Man I really hope to save some gas.” Come on lol.

I forgot what thread I calculated the mpg out but a difference yearly between a hemi and 6 is pretty negligible for average driving.

The biggest win for the v6 seems to be in the rebates. Combine the rebates, with gas savings, lower insurance, and it’s a pretty big chunk of change. I had like $16,000 off my 2018 since 2019’s had hit the lot. I can’t remember the exact number but it was wayyyyyy more than a hemi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Because it’s counterintuitive if we’re being honest with ourselves.

Nobody goes into a truck purchasing saying, “Man I really hope to save some gas.” Come on lol.

I forgot what thread I calculated the mpg out but a difference yearly between a hemi and 6 is pretty negligible for average driving.

The biggest win for the v6 seems to be in the rebates. Combine the rebates, with gas savings, lower insurance, and it’s a pretty big chunk of change. I had like $16,000 off my 2018 since 2019’s had hit the lot. I can’t remember the exact number but it was wayyyyyy more than a hemi.

I agree we all know a Truck is not a great MPG machine! That is a given.
But When I buy a truck or car Yes I do look at the MPG rating. I want the best of both worlds lol.
And I also have seen the numbers from a Hemi and a V 6 . as you said little difference ! But agree insurance is cheaper , Purchase price etc.
We all have our reason for buying what we want !

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Good point on the insurance. I know for sure my insurance cost went up considerably when I went from my 2017 Ram 1500 QC express 4x4, pentastar to my 2019 SLT classic CC, 4x4, hemi. Like a 15% jump.

I know premiums are calculated based on vehicle cost, statistics and probably some magic ball, so it may not all be due to engine choice, but it's something to consider.

I still think the pentastar will cost less to own long term and is cheaper to repair if you consider the cost of things like valve train components between a hemi and a pentastar. So much cheaper on the pentastar.

The fuel economy difference I experienced was my pentastar powered Ram 1500 did about 10-12% better based on tank to tank average MPGs, so if you spend $2000/year on your hemi with your specific usage, you might save $200 with that same usage with a pentastar. Some of you guys spend more on that for a set of nutz to dangle off your trailer hitches.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
I'm getting about 21 mpg. I'm very happy with that and don't feel like I'm lacking power. Plus my previous car was a BMW 328 that required premium gas. That thing got about 25-ish MPG. I figure I'm saving $$$ on gas not having to buy premium any more.

Last edited:

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good point on the insurance. I know for sure my insurance cost went up considerably when I went from my 2017 Ram 1500 QC express 4x4, pentastar to my 2019 SLT classic CC, 4x4, hemi. Like a 15% jump.

I know premiums are calculated based on vehicle cost, statistics and probably some magic ball, so it may not all be due to engine choice, but it's something to consider.

I still think the pentastar will cost less to own long term and is cheaper to repair if you consider the cost of things like valve train components between a hemi and a pentastar. So much cheaper on the pentastar.

The fuel economy difference I experienced was my pentastar powered Ram 1500 did about 10-12% better based on tank to tank average MPGs, so if you spend $2000/year on your hemi with your specific usage, you might save $200 with that same usage with a pentastar. Some of you guys spend more on that for a set of nutz to dangle off your trailer hitches.

Nuts [emoji23]

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
I'm getting 17 average,my truck though is only driven on weekends and usually short drives so it's barely warm when I get to my destination.
Reason I bought the V6 was gas consumption,I had a 2003 4.7 before this and it was a sow on gas,I remember one time I thought the tank was leaking lol,my buddie had a hemi then also and it was a sow.One time I was only getting 7mpg,I was living in San Fran at the time and had to drive about 3 miles to work up and down those severe hills.

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
If I drive a lot in 4x4 I may see 17mpg which is fine by me! My RAM is a street queen and I do not beat on it or any vehicle I have !
I also drive my RAM more then my HR which gets 28mpg ! Why because I love driving the RAM :) Plus fits my big ass in it better lol
The Hemi is a blast to drive and hear the rumble , I drove many from the car auction but that would get me many tickets lol

CLeng3940

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
18 Express QC 4x4 with k&n intake:
19 miles one way to work I was averaging 22.5mpg

since adding cooper at3 xlt 275/65r20 I’ve dropped to 19.5mpg

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Here is a picture of my lifetime mileage. I never reset trip b.

LifetimeMileage2018Small.jpg

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I have never seen 24 mpg "o My best was 23.7 on my trip to Ct. last month doing 70/75 mph.
The total run to Ct. and Back to Me was 22.6 or something like that ! But with my Avg, around town on summer gas being 20mpg I am happy and YES that is hand calculated . The truck may be off 1 mpg to spot on.

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I have NEVER seen that MPG at all on my 2015 SLT Quad Cab 4x4 :O
22 is my average at 70/75 mph.
But spec sheet show 23 mpg on my 2015 so I am pretty close. Hand calculation may be spot on with the truck reading or may be off 1 mpg. SO I am happy

Is your RAM a 4x4 or 2x2 ?
Quad Cab or Crew ? I am curious

Thanks

ChrisR87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I didn’t think of the trip reader, I’ll look at that tomorrow. I reset the mpg after I bought her last year in June. So 26 is my current average since I have bought the truck.
It fluctuates between high 24s to mid 26s.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I can get 22 (hand calc'd) on a road trip if I keep the RPMs around 2100-2200, flat-ish route with a few good ups and downs on I80 from NY to OH.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Just did my 4rd oil change today, been going about 3k between changes using full synthetic. I use my trip b meter to track my lifetime mileage and engine time for this truck. I expect my overall miles driven will start increasing at a faster rate since I am down to only this one vehicle now. The 2nd Gen has gone on to another home.

Attachments

• LifetimeMileage09-26-2021.jpg
    LifetimeMileage09-26-2021.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 13

Ramtastico

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Warlock
Engine
3.6l
22 and change with mix of city and highway... including some hauling and hills. No tonn cover, I usually have the traction off (if that makes a diff?) and using cheapest gas.

I rented a durango with the hemi this summer and was getting about 13... but I also drove it like a hemi lol.

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
Dad is wanting to trade is Silverado for a Ram with a V6 but was asking what kind of mileage they get. He is going to look at a 2018 Ram 4x4 Big quad cab big horn.

I told him they do as well as the Chevy v6 to expect mid 20s but I didn't know for sure. Dad drives really really easy and slow, always wants to get the best MPG. So If you you drive one of those easy; what kind of MPG do you see?
I have a 2014 with over 126K miles on it and as of today my mpgs are 22-4 steady. I commute a lot. My drive to and from work daily is 140miles. It's past time for me to replace my plugs, transmission fluid, diff fluid, coolant, and I'm getting new tires tomorrow. Then I'm going to replace the shocks and brakes when the rest is done. I haven't had a single issue with my Pentastar and I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I don't tow much and for what I use my truck for I've never longed to have the Hemi. I switched from a Silverado after their garbage AFM system prematurely destroyed that motor. So glad I bought my ram. It's better in every way measurable.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2014 with over 126K miles on it and as of today my mpgs are 22-4 steady. I commute a lot. My drive to and from work daily is 140miles. It's past time for me to replace my plugs, transmission fluid, diff fluid, coolant, and I'm getting new tires tomorrow. Then I'm going to replace the shocks and brakes when the rest is done. I haven't had a single issue with my Pentastar and I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I don't tow much and for what I use my truck for I've never longed to have the Hemi. I switched from a Silverado after their garbage AFM system prematurely destroyed that motor. So glad I bought my ram. It's better in every way measurable.
Better then my wife’s Pacifica.

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Just filled up today, and got 20.4 (hand calculated) in local driving, mostly 45 MPH. Really still breaking the truck in, with only 3,500 miles on the odo.

es

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956