V6 to V8 ratio on dealer lots is about 1:1000. Why so few V6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nuieve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is maybe a dozen or two of V6 new 19' RAMs on autotrader within 300 miles (east WA)

I didn't check other states. Why so few of them? Do they absolutely suck in mountains or something? Are they dogs in daily driving in a city?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is maybe a dozen or two of V6 new 19' RAMs on autotrader within 300 miles (east WA)

I didn't check other states. Why so few of them? Do they absolutely suck in mountains or something? Are they dogs in daily driving in a city?

I would assume the low numbers are due to the fact that those v6's just became available recently.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My 2 cents is people LOVE the HEMI and the V 6 is not a Hot Rod engine ! I have the V6 in my RAM and it is no dog :) I also do not off road or haul a trailer so it works for me. It all depends on what you want to use their truck for ! Will I buy another V6 if I trade this one in ? Yes

Last edited:

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My dealer told me that FCA did not want to certify the V6 engine for the short 2018 run until they could certify them under the new regulations. It was too expensive to certify it twice and that is the same reason for the diesel delay. Also the e torque on the V6 is from a different manufacturer than the V8 E torque.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I haven't read up on the 2019 V6 powered Ram 1500. Is it not the standard Pentastar?

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Because real men drive V8s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I was in for a recall yesterday, I was talking with a salesperson about a new Longhorn and asked about the V6 and ECO diesel. He told me they are waiting on both and the ETorque to become widely available. He didn't have a time frame, just said soon.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
Because they don't want Larry the cable guy to make fun of them. I have a v6 and without the 8 speed I most likely would not buy it. I carry about 500# worth of tools daily and it drives better than my previous 05 Yukon denali with a 6.0. Factor in the regular gas and city mpg of 17-18 it's doing better than my wife's 16 honda odyssey which gets 16.5 longterm miles with a trip to and from Louisiana to Orlando Florida.

Only downside I see as far as maintenance is changing the spark plugs in the pentastar. There are more problems with the hemi....tick, manifold gaskets....

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As already noted, the V6 only comes with the etorque system and both etorque engines became available just recently. The other angle, in my devious mind, is that FCA makes relatively much more profit on the V8s. On the V6 etorque is standard, but people are willing to pay up for the Hemi and then even more for the etorque option. Same tactic they used when the Pentastar was introduced. V6 came with 8 speed transmission, the V8 was an upcharge and the 8 speed another charge option.
Personally I believe the production cost for the V6 is not much different from the Hemi, again making the V8 the cash cow for FCA. 4 camshafts, 24 valves and 4 cam adjusters can't be cheaper than 1 camshaft, 16 valves and one cam phaser. Yes the Hemi has two more cylinders but you get the idea.

John813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Assume most right now are being made for "sold" orders, just like the rambox.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6

The Hemi has got the popular name and lineage. People know that Ram has built a reputation on it.

I can't speak to how the Pentastar V6 does in the mountains but it's got plenty of power for my needs. I routinely haul around 800-850 lb. payloads in the bed. Definitely not a dog.

I had a Hemi in a Ram 1500 loaner vehicle while my 2015 was in the shop for several days (yes, 3 days to replace the thermostat!). While it was a blast to mash on the gas now and again, I didn't like the 14 mpg I was getting after being used to getting 20 mpg with my V6. I imagined that 14 mpg playing out over five years or so and shuddered.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The Hemi has got the popular name and lineage. People know that Ram has built a reputation on it.

I can't speak to how the Pentastar V6 does in the mountains but it's got plenty of power for my needs. I routinely haul around 800-850 lb. payloads in the bed. Definitely not a dog.

I had a Hemi in a Ram 1500 loaner vehicle while my 2015 was in the shop for several days (yes, 3 days to replace the thermostat!). While it was a blast to mash on the gas now and again, I didn't like the 14 mpg I was getting after being used to getting 20 mpg with my V6. I imagined that 14 mpg playing out over five years or so and shuddered.
I think the blast you had mashing the pedal may have been the reason for 14mpg. Hard to resist though.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would say even up to the 2018 model 1500s, I probably see 3 hemi Rams for every pentastar Ram 1500. Gas is cheap at the moment (figuratively) and people want a V8 truck for the most part.

Well I guess one positive thing about the new 1500's with the etorque Pentastar is, there's plenty of room under the hood for that big'ol expensive alternator/motor unit. There's enough room under the hood of my 2017 Pentastar 1500 that you could about fit another 3.6L in there.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I think the blast you had mashing the pedal may have been the reason for 14mpg. Hard to resist though.

Nah, I did my blast offs the first day I had it then reset the EVIC. (OK, I might have tromped on it the day I was returning it.)

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm actually excited to see what to V6 and the etorque system can do. I love my Pentastar and once I added a Pedal Commander, it's all I need. I would think the etorque system would only make it better. I think if most people test drove the Pentastar with a Pedal Commander before they drove a Hemi, they would be happy with the Pentastar and even happier at the lower price.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish I'd been able to find a Pentastar Ram when I bought mine. They were harder to find, and much more expensive, mostly because they're newer. I love my truck, and Yellow id a PITA to find, but I might have gone another color for the mpg improvement.

OP
OP
N

Nuieve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I won't buy it unless it's V6 or diesel. The way oil prices are going no way I'm buying a Hemi. Just no way. Custom order or not buy at all, but I'm not having a V8 in my truck especially if it's a daily driver, period. If you're buying it for a few years only, V8 is fine, but if you want to keep the truck for more than that you kind of have to think how useful this truck will be in 5 or 10 years when gas is $5 or $8 or $10 like what they have in Europe. Hopefully not, but what if it does get high? I mean you can always sell it and buy something more efficient, but I'd rather not go through this especially when buying a more expensive higher trim. I've owned plenty of V8 sports cars, and to me if it's not less than 4 sec 0-60 it's slow, haha.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This e torque system is just like any other progressive thing being forced on the consumer. Penstar only available with e torque, people lined up waiting on the hemi with e torque. Personally I wouldn't buy e torque for a couple of years if ever at all. Just another way to justify FCA trying to cram lifetime max care down you're throat. Call me an old fart or whatever but just because it's new and for some unknown reason the latest fad doesn't make it a good deal. I would never "buy" anything hybrid. In a couple of years it's going to be ancient technology and you won't be able to give it away. Just look at smartphones, used to be that you could trade you're old smartphone for a new one and get a decent value for you're old phone. The last time I upgraded my phone I was going to trade my old one in and what they offered me was a joke, I told them my old one had more value to me laying in a drawer as a spare should I ever need it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sure, that's great if you can afford it. No way I could buy new or custom order. And I needed some towing capacity, so the one V6 near my price range didn't have it. SO I got what I could afford.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334