V8 or V6....need advice?!?!

Ram with a V6 or V8

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidzog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I had an older Ram hemi and traded it for a Nissan Frontier last year....yea, I know how dumb I was!!

Anyway, I’m looking to trade for a new Ram classic but they are hard to find here with a V8. Lots with the Pentastar V6, both 4x2 and 4x4.

I’ve got to keep costs down so I’m looking at a Tradesman quad cab with a V6. Can’t find a V8 I can afford.

So, how lacking is the V6? Is it adequate for pulling small loads and sustained hiway driving?

My son has the same V6 in his Grand Cherokee and he loves it, and it seems to perform very well in the smaller suv.

I’d appreciate any advice especially from those folks that own the V6 Ram.

Classic20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just bought a v6 4x4 crew cab tradesman. I was worried about power coming from a ford excursion v10 that was getting 7.5 mpg city.
Now I laugh as pass gas stations and fill up once a week instead of 3.
V6 has plenty of pep and I think it will handle all my needs and standard towing obligations.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
Just got a 2020 Classic Tradesman with the V6. If you have a strict budget, the V6 is the way to go. The Hemi's are like a $6000 upgrade. That's a pretty big difference for a sub-$30,000 truck. I'm new here also, but from what I have read the Pentastar is bulletproof. Of course it's no Hemi in power and acceleration, but if you aren't towing super heavy loads and aren't a stoplight racer, I think you will be perfectly satisfied with the V6. It's got 305 HP...not exactly underpowered by any means. Not sure what the 0-60 times are for the V6 vs the Hemi, but it's probably insignificant (like around 1 second). My wife has a 2018 Grand Cherokee with the PEntastar and it's plenty.

Last edited:

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd get the hemi the 3.21. It's not much more then a v6 especially in a tradesman.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
"Pulling small loads and sustained highway driving" would not require a V8. My V6 with the 3.55's feels as strong as the old-style V8's unless you're going over the 350ci sizes. That said, be aware that if you think you may want to tow big loads in the future, get the V8 and 3.92 gears. I just looked on the Ram website and that option should only add about $2,000 to the price of the truck...?

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I understand budget constraints, I have them too... but in my opinion a full size truck needs a V8.

The question becomes, will you end up with buyers remorse if you don't get the V8?

Look around for leftover 2019 trucks...I got my 2018 Big Horn CC 4x4 late last year for 25% off, a loaded Big Horn, nearly a Laramie (lacking leather and woodgrain interior), Hemi, 3.92 LSD rear, the newest 8.4 dash, big center console and bucket seats.... dang near all the goodies....$52,000 truck for $39,000... and that's with the extended warranty.

I could never afford a truck this nice if I hadn't found such a deal.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It is a tough time to buy, from other comments in the forum and my own knowledge, used and new inventories are low. I was very happy with the V6 I had but it was a single cab truck 2wd. Adding a CC and 4wd, I defer to others on here but, me personally with my use, a V6 in this configuration would never work. You may want to wait a few months and see if price drops occur. Good luck.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is a tough time to buy, from other comments in the forum and my own knowledge, used and new inventories are low. I was very happy with the V6 I had but it was a single cab truck 2wd. Adding a CC and 4wd, I defer to others on here but, me personally with my use, a V6 in this configuration would never work. You may want to wait a few months and see if price drops occur. Good luck.

CC 4wd here, does all the truck things my V8 trucks did. Hell of a lot better than my 92 k1500 with a 170hp 305 V8 as well, lol.5E249812-052E-4618-8024-F19DC2D7730E.jpeg

Jeremyv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
My v6 has been a great truck. Does everything I need it to and tows fine. Only thing I wish I did before buying was research the gearing. I got 3.21s and wish I got 3.55s incase I need to tow more in the future. But I’ll cross that bridge when it comes.

Also if you get the v6.. you’ll get a few people who go “ThAtS nOt A rEaL tRuCk” I just brush them off and enjoy the lack of Manifold tick.
05c6a1c682c2ed165a04d40011a2c4c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For light use the V6 will be ok, it needs to rev to make power, so the 3.55 gears are a good option since you can't get 3.92 gears.

I wish someone would say why the V6 can't get 3.92's and the Hemi can't get 3.55 gears - it makes no sense - unless they are different differentials.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
For light use the V6 will be ok, it needs to rev to make power, so the 3.55 gears are a good option since you can't get 3.92 gears.

I wish someone would say why the V6 can't get 3.92's and the Hemi can't get 3.55 gears - it makes no sense - unless they are different differentials.
I thought someone said the v6 can have 3.92 but only in Rebel trim...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The hemi can get 3.55 but only with the RFE transmission.

As for why, i don't think there is any tech reason just not given the option.

Maybe you could get a truck configured how you want by a very accommodating dealer but you're waiting 10 weeks and paying full MSRP

OP
OP
D

davidzog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Thanks to everyone for the responses.

I won’t be towing heavy and mostly hiway driving. Generally don’t need 4wd but it’s nice to have in winter.

I think I’ll find the truck I really want and buy it with whatever engine is in it....most likely the v6 and I believe it’ll be ok.

Thanks again

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks to everyone for the responses.

I won’t be towing heavy and mostly hiway driving. Generally don’t need 4wd but it’s nice to have in winter.

I think I’ll find the truck I really want and buy it with whatever engine is in it....most likely the v6 and I believe it’ll be ok.

Thanks again

What year is your current Nissan Frontier and what is that truck not doing for you?

Reason I ask is, my father-in-law has a 2017 Frontier SV 4.0L crew cab 4x4 long bed and per specs, has something like a 6100-6300 tow capacity. It's a comfortable, nice to drive and reasonably powerful truck and an extremely reliable old school design that's been around forever. More fuel thirsty than a hemi and has a turning radius of a school bus though.

I owned a 2017 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 with the pentastar and loved the truck. The V6 will suit most peoples needs just fine. If you want rip snortin' power and a smile on your face from the sound and feel, by all means get the hemi.

I have a 2019 Ram classic CC 4x4 hemi now because I wanted to upgrade to the roomier back seat for the family. CC's with the V6 aren't easy to find. Love it as much as the 2017.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a hemi cc 4x4 and like it. I tow and was looking for either a hemi or v6 with 3.55 rear end. I would get whichever one you can find with the options and price you are happy with.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I had an older Ram hemi and traded it for a Nissan Frontier last year....yea, I know how dumb I was!!

Anyway, I’m looking to trade for a new Ram classic but they are hard to find here with a V8. Lots with the Pentastar V6, both 4x2 and 4x4.

I’ve got to keep costs down so I’m looking at a Tradesman quad cab with a V6. Can’t find a V8 I can afford.

So, how lacking is the V6? Is it adequate for pulling small loads and sustained hiway driving?

My son has the same V6 in his Grand Cherokee and he loves it, and it seems to perform very well in the smaller suv.

I’d appreciate any advice especially from those folks that own the V6 Ram.

V6 all the way, not to mention they pretty much last forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk