Vacuum canister location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed that when i am going up hill my dash vents stop blowing and the air goes thru dash defrost instead. Took a quick look under the hood but didnt see a canister. Any idea where it maybe? 98 Dodge Ram1500 Sport(automatic 5.2 with cruise). Thanks Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
I have this same issue, and I would like to know what is the cause/how to fix it. It's REALLY annoying, especially here in the summer when I want cold A/C blowing on me at all times.

OP
OP
R

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Meatball12, im away this weekend but will check it out on monday.
MCintodarkness, most vehicles have a plastic or metal canister to store vacuum during heavier exceleration because your engine doesnt make as much then. They canisters can crack if plastic or rust a hole if metal. So the first thing to check is plug all connection on canister then pull vacuum. If it holds you have another problem.

Rod

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've been looking for a replacement for mine for a while. It leaks and in turn my cruise control doesn't work. Then again I think mine is different from yours. This is what leaks on mine.27a1bc3743a0aa45409dc4649521e74a.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
R

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took a quick look under my battery box last night and all I found was the cruise control unit as well. I didnt remove the box tray to see if anything else was under there but there is a section you cant see under because of the way the tray is made so I guess I need to pull the battery and see if any thing else is under there. I hope dodge didnt do something stupid and make the vacuum canister as part of the cruise control and you would have to replace the unit. That would add a lot of extra cost to a simple repair!
Rod

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
On the 00-01 models the vacuum reservoir is under the windshield wipers in that cowl area between the hood and windshield. Another thing to check is the check valve, those can go bad and leak slightly. Also check the backside of the selector knob, over time that can come loose and leak.

OP
OP
R

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dudeman2009
Where is the canister located on the 98 I am working on? The truck is kept about 5 miles away in my dads garage so I cant go out and check it right now.
Thanks Rod

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

cdstl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it's under the battery tray

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The vacuum canister is located on the Passenger side under the plastic cowl cover. You do not need to remove the wipers to access it. Just remove 2-3 of the plastic torx screw that hold the plastic cover down. You can then lift the cover enough to access the canister. There is a vacuum line that goes from it, through the cowl and down to the main vacuum harness.

Brad Bakken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
The Vacuum check valves might need to be replaced. I replaced mine and replaced a bad hose and it fixed the AC problem

Lizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
I had the same problem with my 99 V10. I replaced all of the vacuum lines with windshield tubing. The lines become hard over time and crack. The problem was fixed after replacing ALL of the vacuum lines.

rfmodulator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As others have already said, my 1997 also has the vacuum reservoir under the wiper cowl on the passenger side... there's the check valve that feeds the line to the HVAC controls through the firewall with the AC lines (not sure about non-AC), then there is the second line left of this T-fitting that feeds up under the weather stripping and through to the reservoir.

Anyway, my problem was a bad check value off the manifold... I couldn't find a Mopar replacement part, and brand new Dormans failed out of the box.

GM/ACDelco part number 14047619 fit perfectly and solved my vent issues... and my cruise control is stable on hills now.

Last edited: