Vacuum line? 2005 4.7L 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V-8
Sorry, I was in somebody else's PCM thread and I didn't mean to hijack that. I figured I best make my own.

The last advice I got was to disconnect and recharge the battery and reset. I have already done that and I still had P0633. I can do it again, though. I ordered a scanner so maybe I can tell better what is going on next week.

In the meantime I was nosing around this truck because it is new to me, and would you look at what I found? What is this? I guess this explains the plastic burning smell I couldn't identify. I had already changed the crankshaft position sensor, so I was looking for the camshaft position sensor and found this. Tubes? They were behind, on top, close to the firewall. I didn't even see them when I cleaned the throttle body and the IAC, and I didn't disconnect them. One is melted and one was just disconnected. I have been smelling plastic burning since before the surging, hunting, stalling thing started.

NCM_0294.JPG

OP
OP
bugnutz

bugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V-8
This is the other end of those, going into that small cannister by the fusebox in the front of the engine.

NCM_0291.JPG

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I'm not familiar with the 4.7 but that sounds like the plastic line for the purge valve.

OP
OP
bugnutz

bugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V-8
The plastic sleeve was also melted but more like something corrosive had dripped on it, probably PS/ATF.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bugnutz

bugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V-8
I downloaded the 2005 RAM factory service manual, but some of the drawings I am looking at in there are difficult.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I would follow the hoses. I think you will find a purge valve up in the area near the IPM. Then there will be a pipe going to the cannister and then back to the emmission stuff in front of the gas tank..

OP
OP
bugnutz

bugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V-8
I would follow the hoses. I think you will find a purge valve up in the area near the IPM. Then there will be a pipe going to the cannister and then back to the emmission stuff in front of the gas tank..

Yes, that is the purge valve they are still attached to. The other end of both those tubes is where I found them disconnected and melted, by the firewall. I don't know where they go to. I am looking for a routing diagram for the vacuum supply hoses. I haven't found that in this service manual yet, but still looking. I read there was also a TSB to re-route the vacuum tubes for this very thing happening to them, but I haven't found that one yet either. Thanks.

OP
OP
bugnutz

bugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V-8
7c053852ef19f76925262719810026c7.png
Vacuum Harness
53032054AC
4.7 LITER, 2005
Discontinued

cabcf4bbcf7442f9fa8b89ec1e112aa0.png
Harness
52121115AB
4.7 LITER, 2005, PURGE SOLENOID
Discontinued

cabcf4bbcf7442f9fa8b89ec1e112aa0.png
Harness
52110270AC
4.7 LITER, 2005, VAPOR CANISTER
Discontinued

d3feb9e7b0843b8348215918c70d121a.png

OP
OP
bugnutz

bugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V-8
Does nobody know what they connect to? It's raining so I won't be able to crawl around under the truck today. I cannot find any unoccupied connections under the hood, though. I think if I have to replace the whole thing, it is 3/8" tubing the same as windshield washer tubing.

Orange whip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, I was in somebody else's PCM thread and I didn't mean to hijack that. I figured I best make my own.

The last advice I got was to disconnect and recharge the battery and reset. I have already done that and I still had P0633. I can do it again, though. I ordered a scanner so maybe I can tell better what is going on next week.

In the meantime I was nosing around this truck because it is new to me, and would you look at what I found? What is this? I guess this explains the plastic burning smell I couldn't identify. I had already changed the crankshaft position sensor, so I was looking for the camshaft position sensor and found this. Tubes? They were behind, on top, close to the firewall. I didn't even see them when I cleaned the throttle body and the IAC, and I didn't disconnect them. One is melted and one was just disconnected. I have been smelling plastic burning since before the surging, hunting, stalling thing started.

View attachment 183184

View attachment 183184
Did you ever find out what this hose is and does? I found it disconnected on my 4.7 firewall ---

Goliat6288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
if its the same hoses, the ones that connect to the purge valve, i know one goes back to the fuel tank. dont remember where the other one goes but i can look into it in a few

Goliat6288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
one goes to the firewall and down and back to the fuel tank, the other one goes to the throttle body.