Vacuum Reservoir location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtDude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Where is the vacuum reservoir located on a 1999 ram 2500 4x4?
Some say behind the front head light, some say inside the cowling, some say under the battery. A definitive answer before I go back to wrenching on this truck would be great.
I have the usual HVAC "freaking out" problems and I have already replaced both check valves and rubber tubing to no avail. Summer is almost here and this need to be resolved.

Thanks.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty sure my 97 1500 was in the cowling or in the dash. The cruise control is under the battery. And even if you’ve changed the vacuum check valves I would double check them and check the line that goes through the firewall to the ac control to. And sure it’s not cracked/broke

OP
OP
D

DirtDude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Where is the vacuum reservoir located on a 1999 ram 2500 4x4?
Some say behind the front head light, some say inside the cowling, some say under the battery. A definitive answer before I go back to wrenching on this truck would be great.
I have the usual HVAC "freaking out" problems and I have already replaced both check valves and rubber tubing to no avail. Summer is almost here and this need to be resolved.

Thanks.
The Vacuum reservoir is indeed behind the cowling on a 99 dodge RAM 2500 truck. However, no dealer can get me the part number, nor can they identify it on the computers. Does anyone know this part number?

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just checking to see if you ran rubber to the back of the climate control, and those lines are attached below the dashboard.

OP
OP
D

DirtDude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Just checking to see if you ran rubber to the back of the climate control, and those lines are attached below the dashboard.
The part number if anyone is interested is 55035614

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
D

DirtDude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Just checking to see if you ran rubber to the back of the climate control, and those lines are attached below the

A couple things. 1) The Mopar part is not available anywhere. Some sites show stock as does eBay, but none actually have it, so don't waste time looking for it.. 2) My solution; I purchased a NAPA 820-0275-1 which is a Ford part and it has almost the same dimensions to fit under the cowling. One alteration to the mount tab and it should work very well. 3) I ran a vacuum and smoke test on the part and it failed both tests. 4) I’ve done nothing to the actual climate control switch. I’m hoping this solves my problems.

OP
OP
D

DirtDude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Update. Because the nipple on the ford reservoir is .200 O.D. I will be adding a 3/16 vacuum line to a "reducer tube" PIG1/4-3/16 so I can connect dodge tubing to ford nipple. The PIG reducer is a barb-less unit that is for numatic applications. Using a barbed reducer will most likely split the rubber which is not good.

OP
OP
D

DirtDude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Update. Because the nipple on the ford reservoir is .200 O.D. I will be adding a 3/16 vacuum line to a "reducer tube" PIG1/4-3/16 so I can connect dodge tubing to ford nipple. The PIG reducer is a barb-less unit that is for numatic applications. Using a barbed reducer will most likely split the rubber which is not good.
Update #2 I received the PIG1/4-3/16 reducer. I now have 10 pcs and from all the searching I have done, I most likely bought the last 10 pcs anywhere online from a parts broker. If anyone needs one to replicate what I have done, drop me a line and will work something out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DirtDude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Update... All the above was done and I still have an AC problem. This whole thing started when I had the 4 x 4 vacuum line assembly replaced. My 4x4 works great, my cruise control works great, but the spin off to the HVAC lines have a leak. The only thing left to do is try a smoke test and if that fails then ripping apart the whole console is the final fix. PITA.

OP
OP
D

DirtDude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
FIXED:)
I inadvertently cracked the hose going to the control console.... A quick cut of offending hose, add a splice of vacuum tubing and walla, all is well.