Valve cleaner after catch can ?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm never gonna understand this catch can stuff. I've taken apart dozens of cars with hundreds of thousands of miles on them and never once seen a build up in an intake or on a valve thicker than a coat of paint.

As for the PCV.. on my own vehicles I've never taken one off that wasn't clean - without a catch can. I'd imagine with a catch can the're about immortal but they seem already immortal on any engine that gets routine maintenance in the first place.

Treburkulosis

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seafoam in the brake booster, seafoam in the tank, and seafoam in the crank case every 15k miles on mine. Just the oil at 15k. Just make sure if you do the oil to drive it about 100 miles and then put fresh oil in.

Treburkulosis

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so the answer is no do not clean the pvc valve replace it ??
I replaced mine. It didn't need to, but when I did the tune up I just went ahead and did it.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm never gonna understand this catch can stuff.

I was actually shocked on how much oil it actually removes. so spending 35$ for one isn't the end of the world.

Ive spent more at the stripper for less.

:p

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I'm never gonna understand this catch can stuff. I've taken apart dozens of cars with hundreds of thousands of miles on them and never once seen a build up in an intake or on a valve thicker than a coat of paint.

As for the PCV.. on my own vehicles I've never taken one off that wasn't clean - without a catch can. I'd imagine with a catch can the're about immortal but they seem already immortal on any engine that gets routine maintenance in the first place.
yea i dont get it either.......

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

For me I installed one to reduce future cleanup. Had a 97 ram that I had the plenum gasket fail and the truck had 150,000 miles on it. The intake took around 1/2hr of scrubbing to clean the intake manifold from grime and oil coated inside of it. I had it spotless. That truck was maintained extremely well. Oil changes every 5000 miles with Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic. Had a 2009 VW Jetta and they were notorious for the IAT sensor failing from getting coated in oil from the pcv. Honestly that was just poor location because the IAT was immediately in front of the pcv valve to the intake manifold. It’s really vehicles dependent. Some vehicles have more active oil flow from the pcv than others depending on the pcv valve location.