Valvoline 0w40?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Interesting. Does the redline meet the Chrysler spec for our 6.4L.

$89.00 for 7 quarts on Nick's website

I appreciate the info though as valvoline is my preferred oil in general. I like their max life full synthetic oil.
Redline does not meet Chrysler spec, only PUP and Amsoil 0w40 that I know of.

ddown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think that's interesting, Valvoline 0w40 does not meet Chrysler spec of MS-12633. Not sure how a dealership can justify using unapproved oil.

Either way your the first guy on the forum to run the Valvoline and I'd like to get your thoughts over the next few months. Would really like to see a Used Oil Analysis from Blackstone Laboratories. That will tell us how the oil performed and what the additive package contains.

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/motor-oil/advanced-full-synthetic-motor-oil

SDS and PI PDFs show approval MS-12633 the 0-40 is affordable and easier to find

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
There was another thread on the valvoline 0w-40 here recently and that their advanced, full synthetic oil does meet the Chrysler spec now, so it's an option I'm going to try next oil change in a month or so, along with a wix XP oil filter.

I've been running PUP and the mopar filter but I've gotten a few cold start rattles over the past year so I'm not very impressed in general with the mopar filter. Either wix XP or Fram Ultra will be the next filter on my 6.4.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
There was another thread on the valvoline 0w-40 here recently and that their advanced, full synthetic oil does meet the Chrysler spec now, so it's an option I'm going to try next oil change in a month or so, along with a wix XP oil filter.

I've been running PUP and the mopar filter but I've gotten a few cold start rattles over the past year so I'm not very impressed in general with the mopar filter. Either wix XP or Fram Ultra will be the next filter on my 6.4.

I experienced occasional cold start rattles with the small Mopar filter also. Last oil change I used the SRT filter and haven’t heard it since. SRT or Wix from now on for me.

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've seen people say Amsoil 0w40 meets the Chrysler 12633 spec in many oil discussion threads including this one and I don't think it's correct. What it says on the Amsoil bottle is you can use it where 12633 is required but it says nowhere on the bottle that it meets the spec. It's a total marketing word jumble to make you think it's a Chrysler approved oil because the numbers 12633 are printed on the bottle and most people don't know any better.

I will agree with anyone that that tells me Amsoil is a good, if not great oil. I will disagree that it's certified by Chrysler to meet 12633. You want to run Amsoil or Redline be my guest but it could result in a warranty denial when your lifters fail and Chrysler wants to find a way to deny the claim.

I'm happy that Valvoline will meet the spec now as it gives the consumer another "certified" oil to choose from. I also wonder if Napa will offer their full synthetic in a certified 0w40 because my understanding is Napa oil is relabeled Valvoline.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've seen people say Amsoil 0w40 meets the Chrysler 12633 spec in many threads oil discussions including this one and I don't think it's correct. What it says on the Amsoil bottle is you can use it where 12633 is required but it says nowhere on the bottle that it meets the spec. It's a total marketing word jumble to make you think it's a Chrysler approved oil because the numbers 12633 are printed on the bottle and most people don't know any better.

I will agree with anyone that that tells me Amsoil is a good, if not great oil. I will disagree that it's certified by Chrysler to meet 12633. You want to run Amsoil or Redline be my guest but it could result in a warranty denial when your lifters fail and Chrysler wants to find a way to deny the claim.

I'm happy that Valvoline will meet the spec now as it gives the consumer another "certified" oil to choose from. I also wonder if Napa will offer their full synthetic in a certified 0w40 because my understanding is Napa oil is relabeled Valvoline.

Yeah, there are kind of two camps of people buying oil - those who are worried about a warranty and those who are not. I'm in the first category and just have it done at the dealer to avoid problems.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting. Does the redline meet the Chrysler spec for our 6.4L.

$89.00 for 7 quarts on Nick's website

I appreciate the info though as valvoline is my preferred oil in general. I like their max life full synthetic oil.

yes

V may be a Euro formula.

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So it appears Schaeffer oil company has API certified 0w40 that meets 12633.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Redline does not meet Chrysler spec, only PUP and Amsoil 0w40 that I know of.
YES redline does meet spec MS-12633 states it on the container plus there website specs section..So does Schaffers & amsoil.

Last edited:

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
YES redline does meet spec MS-12633 states it on the container plus there website specs section..So does Schaffers & amsoil.

Are Amsoil and Redline an API certified oil with the starburst logo on the bottle? The bottles of 0w40 Amsoil I've seen just state it can be used where 12633 is called for, no API certification. I've never seen a Redline bottle so can't say if it's API certified. The PUP and Schaeffers are API certified 0w40 oil meeting MS-12633.

I will say for the record I know Amsoil is a great oil. But at the end of the day it does not meet the FCA requirment to use an API certified 0w40 oil that meets MS-12633 in my Hemi 6.4 so to me it's not "certified" to cover my ass in a warranty claim.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Id be curious if the Valvoline has comparable additives. PUP isn’t hard to get on Amazon so that’s what I’ll keep using for now.

Leonard Russo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Id be curious if the Valvoline has comparable additives. PUP isn’t hard to get on Amazon so that’s what I’ll keep using for now.

I’ve got 16K miles of towing & plowing snow with my truck ! It’s got nothing but the Mopar Spec Pennzoil SRT 0W-40 since new. The motor is quiet and smooth as a Japanese Lexus V8! I’m sticking with what works & my 5K / 6 month changing intervals!

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I go to the Valvoline website and find the PI (product information) page under the "Full Synthetic Advanced" oils. I see where 0W40 meets Chrysler MS-12633. Part # for the 5 qt. = 881155. I proceed to the Wallyworld web site and order me 2 ea. They arrive, as scheduled, in 0W40 "EUROPEAN VEHICLE" jugs with part # 881155 ... When I call Valvoline, "dude" says ( and I paraphrase) "It is the same oil as full synthetic advanced rebranded as a European vehicle oil as there is a bigger market for it. Chrysler wants money to place their spec on oil. This oil meets the requirements of the spec. If you go to an oil change shop that sells Valvoline, with a 6.4 HEMI, this is what you will get." I will run it as I have with the Mobile 1 with a Mopar filter and report any problems...

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
So I go to the Valvoline website and find the PI (product information) page under the "Full Synthetic Advanced" oils. I see where 0W40 meets Chrysler MS-12633. Part # for the 5 qt. = 881155. I proceed to the Wallyworld web site and order me 2 ea. They arrive, as scheduled, in 0W40 "EUROPEAN VEHICLE" jugs with part # 881155 ... When I call Valvoline, "dude" says ( and I paraphrase) "It is the same oil as full synthetic advanced rebranded as a European vehicle oil as there is a bigger market for it. Chrysler wants money to place their spec on oil. This oil meets the requirements of the spec. If you go to an oil change shop that sells Valvoline, with a 6.4 HEMI, this is what you will get." I will run it as I have with the Mobile 1 with a Mopar filter and report any problems...

Why not get some 12633 oil and mix it.
The 6.4L takes 7 qts - mix 2 of V with 5 of 12633 and you're good.

Get some RL - good amount of moly

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-11124-0W40-Motor/dp/B0084DYY02/ref=psdc_15719391_t1_B004BXULWO

Get some Bosh Boss filters while you're there.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Thanks for that info. The exact same thing happened to me. I ordered the advanced from Walmart online, they sent me the euro stuff. That pissed me off, but I'm running it. Seems just fine so far. No difference from the PUP.

I'm not going to worry about it. It seems like good stuff and the jug says it has extra anti wear additives. I think too many people get too worked up over oils. Use the brand you like, make sure it's the correct weight and ensure you change it regularly and you should be fine. That is my experience to date. Correct weight and routine maintenance is far more important than brand. With my 5k OCIs, I could run dino oil and be fine. I run full synthetic because it makes me feel good..lol. Just my opinion. Do what you feel is best, we have lots of options which is great.

Last edited:

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for that info. The exact same thing happened to me. I ordered the advanced from Walmart online, they sent me the euro stuff. That pissed me off, but I'm running it. Seems just fine so far. No difference from the PUP.

I'm not going to worry about it. It seems like good stuff and the jug says it has extra anti wear additives. I think too many people get too worked up over oils. Use the brand you like, make sure it's the correct weight and ensure you change it regularly and you should be fine. That is my experience to date. Correct weight and routine maintenance is far more important than brand. With my 5k OCIs, I could run dino oil and be fine. I run full synthetic because it makes me feel good..lol. Just my opinion. Do what you feel is best, we have lots of options which is great.
I will change mine out in the next few days. Did you or anyone else have a higher consumption rate with PUP? I did. But that is one of the things I discovered over the past few years with the SOPUS products in my vehicles. I'm no scientist, but, something changed when Quaker State started smelling more like parts cleaning solvent than oil..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dyadeta