Vararam Air Grabber Install Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Over the past few months, we have had quite a few questions about the Vararam intake in regards to how it works and how to install it correctly. The video below goes over the proper way to install this kit on the 2013+ Ram 1500 trucks.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks for the vid!

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome video. I've had mine on for about a year now. Your video prompted me to double check mine and it's crooked. I bent the a/c line down a bit and probably need to reorient the coupler. I think I may have had a slight gap on the back driver side. I also have a slight fitment issue with the drivers side 'wing' notch interfering with the radiator bracket. Probably need to do some trimming.

OP
OP
Hemi450hp

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Shouldnt have to trim anything when installing this, but ts possible that the airbox has warped slightly if it has been sitting crooked for the last year. Now that you have it sitting correctly, the heat under the hood should help form it back into place and hopefully correct the alignment of the front wing.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fixed my fitment, raised it up a bit and no trimming required. Throttle body was dirty too, so definitely had it sealed incorrectly.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@Hemi450hp - do we not re-install the engine cover piece before mounting the vararam? I noticed you did not but wasn't sure if it was optional step or if will just would not fit with Vararam?

Also, any fitment issues with the oem under hood engine light? I can't tell if it would land on the foam ring or clear it.

- Thanks

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I called Matt - for info you can put the engine cover back in place if you prefer to. Matt prefers not to as it increases underhood/engine heat - which I was not aware of. He's in TX I'm in FL so I will likely leave mine off as well. If you live up north it may be beneficial to leave it in place though.

Mine should be here tomorrow :).

Last edited:

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Great video. This and the pedal commander are still the top two spots on my wish list.

konfuzed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
OK this is an odd question... but do you think there would be any way to rotate the intake 180° to pull air from the cowl, instead of the grill? I have a cowl induction hood and I use my truck off road, and I ford a lot of river crossings. I just don't really want a snorkel, and the extra room under the hood would give me the space for another battery. 52828b8d61bed109c7927d0b2b853d17.gif

Sent from my SM-T878U using Tapatalk

MikeSumthin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@konfuzed probably just need a different angled TB coupler and some brackets to keep the filter held up and rigid...

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK this is an odd question... but do you think there would be any way to rotate the intake 180° to pull air from the cowl, instead of the grill? I have a cowl induction hood and I use my truck off road, and I ford a lot of river crossings. I just don't really want a snorkel, and the extra room under the hood would give me the space for another battery. 52828b8d61bed109c7927d0b2b853d17.gif

Sent from my SM-T878U using Tapatalk
This is what I almost did when I kit-bashed mine to fit my 3rd gen. I was considering facing it backwards and go with the cowl hood too because you actually get the most air from that direction forced in from the windshield. However, I really wanted to go with the 6 pack scoop mainly for looks down the road so I configured it forward.
Also, I took mine apart over the weekend to repaint and clean the filter and after a year since the last filter cleaning and there was literally zero, nada not a smidgen of dust behind the filter!
You just have to make sure the lid and filter are seated together completely before tightening down.
IMG_20150909_192214_762.jpg