Vararam Air Grabber!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To 2nd Jay water doesn't really seem to be an issue. The last round of heavy rain I may have taken a few of the creek bed crossings a little too fast. My hoodliner is basically brown all around the vararam outline, but the filter got no mud or any noticeable wetness every time I checked. Granted with enough water depth you might have some issues, but at that point I'd be turning around and taking the long way.

It must be sealed around that top gasket pretty well.
Jay

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Me and Flintstone used to drink beer together----LOL
Jay

My son bought me the 6 seasons of Fred and Barney a few years back as a fathers day gift,best damn gift I've ever had,i still plug the DVD's in when there's nothing good on TV in the evening,lol.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If anyone has an extra Vararam filter for sale I'd sure be interested. They are single source and he wants about 90-95 each for them.
Jay

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So it seems like the general consensus is to cut the radiator shield around the Vararam to prevent water (and possibly snow) from getting to the filter?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If anyone has an extra Vararam filter for sale I'd sure be interested. They are single source and he wants about 90-95 each for them.
Jay

Ha yeah same here. I'd like to be able to just swap filters and be able to clean the dirty one whenever...

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty sure the wife got me one for xmas. I sent her a list of like 20 options but I saw her on the laptop and saw the orange top and she was on Moes. Was hoping more for fender flares but hopefully I'll like it.

I live in Boise which is pretty much a high desert but we do get some snow (a lot less than most people who have never been here think and little rain). Haven't had any on the roads yet this year, but if I go to the mountains there is usually plenty.

Way to lazy to swap back to factory in winter and that is annoying. Trying to decide if I should return it before I even get it haha. But they have a 15% return fee which is also annoying. hmm

Or maybe I could just stick a piece of cardboard in there if its snowing or slushy since thats maybe only a few days a year that I'm driving in it.

Last edited:

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Pretty sure the wife got me one for xmas. I sent her a list of like 20 options but I saw her on the laptop and saw the orange top and she was on Moes. Was hoping more for fender flares but hopefully I'll like it.

I live in Boise which is pretty much a high desert but we do get some snow (a lot less than most people who have never been here think and little rain). Haven't had any on the roads yet this year, but if I go to the mountains there is usually plenty.

Way to lazy to swap back to factory in winter and that is annoying. Trying to decide if I should return it before I even get it haha. But they have a 15% return fee which is also annoying. hmm

Or maybe I could just stick a piece of cardboard in there if its snowing or slushy since thats maybe only a few days a year that I'm driving in it.

If you do end up with snow problems you could always try a custom filter wrap. The last time I used one on a truck it did a surprisingly good job of keeping water and mud off an open element filter that was mounted somewhere less than ideal.

https://www.outerwears.com/page.asp?region=18

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I read that someone was going to try to put some wire mesh in front of the filter and see if that stopped any snow/slush from getting on the filter.
Jay

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you do end up with snow problems you could always try a custom filter wrap. The last time I used one on a truck it did a surprisingly good job of keeping water and mud off an open element filter that was mounted somewhere less than ideal.

Not a bad idea. I honestly don't think it will be a big deal. I'll just monitor it if its super snowy.

I also wonder how many of the people that have issues don't have them properly installed too. Since it seems that quite a few people get them crooked by not installing correctly, and it also seems that a decent amount of people that live in snowy areas have zero issues.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I read that someone was going to try to put some wire mesh in front of the filter and see if that stopped any snow/slush from getting on the filter.
Jay

That was kind of my idea, or even just somewhat blocking off the main area providing the air since with the seal you should only have air coming from one spot you should be able to pre filter it.

I'd just prefer something removable that was quick and easy to put on since like I said it's probably only a few days a year it might even be an issue.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm in New England so if I have snow problems I'll post it here. If I do end up with snow in the filter area my plan is to put some screen behind the grill.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Awesome didn't know you could get custom made filter wraps. Might he a good idea for extending the time between filter cleanings besides blocking the snow...

Redsquirrel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm in Maine, and only had water or snow in air cleaner following semis on the highway or a heavy blowing fine snow. No issue with clogging yet

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in Maine, and only had water or snow in air cleaner following semis on the highway or a heavy blowing fine snow. No issue with clogging yet

Good to know! I'm sure you guys get more snow than we do so I'll likely be fine

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jay
I finally broke down and bought a spare since it gets dirty quick. It'll be here tomorrow. I'll sell ya my old one for $120 :)

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How long does it take to clean the filter from start to finish? Does it dry quickly after washing?